O5 to Asia/Australia?

Was watching a Captain's Corner filmed on Symphony with Captain Rob. He said that Oasis 5 won't go to the Caribbean and will be built for a specific market with different venues. That pretty much means Asia, maybe even Australia for the Winter/

I'm hoping that this is fake news (do the Captains actually know?), however, do you think it will happen?

That's interesting but according to the Captain Ban on Anthem, Symphony was going to be stretched.  He was quite sure about it.    

Captain's are great sources of rumors.  Maybe he is right or maybe it's a concept being floated simply to see if it's viable and seek feedback from senior officers across the fleet.

Central Park in Australia would require artificial plants due to agricultural regulations in Australia.  They could replace Central Park with another neighborhood concept so that isn't an insurmountable issue.  

Some Ovation ports of call in the South Pacific and New Zealand use tenders so that would be a challenge.  

If they wanted a year round presence in Australia a Quantum class ship would make more sense due to the cooler winter climate.

2 hours ago, Joe01 said:

I'm hoping that this is fake news (do the Captains actually know?), however, do you think it will happen?

I certainly hope this is not fake news.. but it most likely is!

2 hours ago, twangster said:

If they wanted a year round presence in Australia a Quantum class ship would make more sense due to the cooler winter climate.

Depends where you put it. Brisbane has the same climate as Miami.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

Central Park in Australia would require artificial plants due to agricultural regulations in Australia.

I realize that much of Australia is desert / scrub, but I can't believe they couldn't find a collection of native Australian flora that would pass the regulations and also be visually appealing / fitting for the region. Hardest would presumably be finding replacements for the vines on the living wall, but shouldn't the rest be reasonably doable without breaking the proverbial bank? And being from harsher climates, I could even see where such a collection would require less watering and maybe (depending on the species chosen) be more tolerant of the salt air.

IANAB (I Am Not A Botanist), so obviously take all of the above with a shaker of sea salt, but I'd be very surprised if Royal hasn't at least investigated the possibility. Bigger question in my mind would be what ports in that area can accommodate a ship the size of an O-Class vessel and the massive number of people it brings with it.

35 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I realize that much of Australia is desert / scrub.

Only the centre is desert - East coast where all cruising occurs is Tropical in the north (very similar to Florida) to Oceanic in the south (mild summers and winters). I think the issue is with it travelling to other countries and the possibly of introducing pests when returning. If it stayed within Australia then your suggestion of native Australian plant life would probably be ok.

40 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Bigger question in my mind would be what ports in that area can accommodate a ship the size of an O-Class vessel and the massive number of people it brings with it.

There are none which is why I don't think this will happen anytime soon! If you look where Ovation docks in Sydney Harbour there is not much room for a larger ship without blocking the busy ferry area.

vRxiWDk.jpg

G2J5mPF.jpg

VyC9bo2.jpg

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

I realize that much of Australia is desert / scrub, but I can't believe they couldn't find a collection of native Australian flora that would pass the regulations and also be visually appealing / fitting for the region. Hardest would presumably be finding replacements for the vines on the living wall, but shouldn't the rest be reasonably doable without breaking the proverbial bank? And being from harsher climates, I could even see where such a collection would require less watering and maybe (depending on the species chosen) be more tolerant of the salt air.

IANAB (I Am Not A Botanist), so obviously take all of the above with a shaker of sea salt, but I'd be very surprised if Royal hasn't at least investigated the possibility. Bigger question in my mind would be what ports in that area can accommodate a ship the size of an O-Class vessel and the massive number of people it brings with it.

The US has agricultural restrictions as well.  In Central Park they are not free to plant just what ever they want, they work off a list that is approved by the USDA.   

When we did the Symphony Central Park tour with their lead botanist several Florida guests offered to take the plants they replace on a routine basis.  They can't he explained, once on the ship if they remove something it can't go back on land, it has to be destroyed in the incinerator.  They had to work to find plants that met EU regulations and US regulations knowing the ship would come to America after her time in the med.  

He had reviewed a plan to visit Australia.  He estimated roughly a million $USD to gut Central Park and meet Australian regulations.  A new ship wouldn't lose that investment if they built it for Australia but taking an existing OA ship costs them a million in plants alone to go there.  If they ever left the region and came back to Australia six months later some of it would have to be destroyed and started over again.  

The fertilizer and sprays they use are also a complex issue.  Few are approved for carrying on a passenger vessel and they have to watch where they store them relative to cleaning products or pool care products.  One spray may work on one plant but a different plant needs something different.  It really makes you appreciate how much goes on behind the scenes that we just don't think about.  

Symphony skirted a storm a month before the transatlantic.  Winds were hurricane force and a lot of pool water was blown into Central Park.  It did a lot of damage and thinned out the vegetation (chlorine on plants, not a good idea).  He was on his his vacation break at the time but came back to see the devastation.  He's been involved with every Central Park and when he told corporate he needed several hundred thousand to fix it they gave it to him without blinking.  

I was left with a greater appreciation for Central Park knowing all the restrictions and constraints they have to work within yet pull off something so unique and special that looks beautiful.   I never would have thought something like Central Park could play a factor in a redeployment plan.  There is so much beyond what my simple mind can fathom.  

I ways love rumours, I get excited of the prospect of what is happening and what could be going on in the world of Royal Caribbean. I wonder what other concept they could put in, instead of central park?

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2018/02/15/meet-the-oasis-of-the-seas-never-was

A few of these unused concepts maybe

I don’t think we will ever see an Oasis ship in this region. Too many people for the small Pacific Islands with tendering required everywhere.

As Twangster said you would have to reimagine Central Park as even if you could regionalise the plants you still wouldn’t be able to come from Australia to NZ.Our bio security laws are very strict which would also limit the itinaries available. If it ever left Australia to go to Asia for a season you would need to replant everything fresh each time t returned.

Even though it is not much longer than a Quantum it is much wider and I think this would cause all sorts of issues in the Sydney harbour with the ferries.

Frankly I can’t see that RCI would want all the hassle when we already have a Quantum here.

Personally I would be happy if they just sent us a Freedom class in the future. 

Just now, Rose City Cruiser said:

Could O5 have a permanent home in Europe?  Royal's response to MSC coming to their turf?

Definitely not year round. They aren't designed for cold weather cruising and Med weather is bad enough in October never mind December/January.

Is the Caribbean market big enough for 5 O's? Surely that many people aren't cruising every single week on Oasis class ships along with all the other ships on offer.

Whether its O5 or O6 at some stage you would think that one will have to go somewhere else.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for resurrecting the topic. ?

On top of the obvious concerns mentioned above (fauna and size of the ship in ports), I would have also thought one of the concerns would be the size of the ships in relation to its itineries out of Australia.

Other than a few cruises that often do 3 or 4 day sailings to no where, most of the destination cruises are at least 3 days sailing away from major ports. As a result, most cruises to a destination would need to be a minimum of 7 days.   Thats a lot of beds to fill.

Royal Caribbean would probably better off having additional smaller ships operating out of Australia and then bring greater diversity to the itineraries and home ports. I would love to see a Royal Ship home ported in Melbourne for the summer season and do itineries OTHER than New Zealand. (btw... i love new zealand, but i want other experiences too).

2 hours ago, Phillo said:

I would love to see a Royal Ship home ported in Melbourne for the summer season and do itineries OTHER than New Zealand. (btw... i love new zealand, but i want other experiences too).

Same. Celebrity are doing it in 2021. Hopefully it's successful and Royal follow suit.

On 4/22/2019 at 9:24 PM, Joe01 said:

Was watching a Captain's Corner filmed on Symphony with Captain Rob. He said that Oasis 5 won't go to the Caribbean and will be built for a specific market with different venues. That pretty much means Asia, maybe even Australia for the Winter/

On 4/26/2019 at 8:00 PM, Joe01 said:

Interesting thoughts on this thread. It could be possible that the Captain implied Asia given that he mentioned a "specific market".

The Med, The Baltic , Asia as you mentioned, Nudist cruises, under 30 cruises, cruises with no kids....The Captain could have meant anything with the term Specific Market..

Just now, Ray said:

The Med, The Baltic , Asia as you mentioned, Nudist cruises, under 30 cruises, cruises with no kids....The Captain could have meant anything with the term Specific Market..

Med and Baltic ships are built the exact same way as Caribbean ships because they spend the winter in the Caribbean. I don't think that would be it. I still think Asia is what he means.

Royal don't do the other things you mentioned and I doubt they will start any of them.

4 hours ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

Well the thing is...it was said that O5 would not port in the Caribbean...which leads to the idea, its home port may be out of the thread title.

I think that may have been misinterpreted...a ship with a different clientele could just as well be Texas.  With Oasis getting a BBQ restaurant and the talks of improving the Galveston port, one of the Oasis class ships may end up there.  They always say everything is bigger in Texas..so the cruise ships might as well be too!

4 hours ago, OrlandoC said:

That seems likely. Canaveral could probably support two Oasis ships. Or 1 in FL and 2 in Miami. Plus with seasonal trips out of New York and the occasional European vacation there is plenty of room in the East Coast for 5 Oasis class. 

I'm not so sure about Canaveral taking 2 Oasis Class ships. That's a lot of people per week. 

2 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I think that may have been misinterpreted...a ship with a different clientele could just as well be Texas.  With Oasis getting a BBQ restaurant and the talks of improving the Galveston port, one of the Oasis class ships may end up there.  They always say everything is bigger in Texas..so the cruise ships might as well be too!

I don't think that a ship really gets changed for Texas. Navigator and Liberty got dry-docks shortly after they arrived but they didn't add anything exclusive to Texas. It's still taking mostly American clientele after all. The way that he phrased it made me think that he meant Asia.

26 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

I'm not so sure about Canaveral taking 2 Oasis Class ships. That's a lot of people per week. 

Carnival certainly thinks PC is ready by putting the Mardi Gras there. Disney just signed a deal for increased sailings and is putting their new ships there. 

Orlando is one of the biggest tourist destinations in the world. The people are already coming.  There is no reason they couldn't support two Oasis ships while south Florida is doing the same. 

8 minutes ago, OrlandoC said:

Carnival certainly thinks PC is ready by putting the Mardi Gras there. Disney just signed a deal for increased sailings and is putting their new ships there. 

Orlando is one of the biggest tourist destinations in the world. The people are already coming.  There is no reason they couldn't support two Oasis ships while south Florida is doing the same. 

There is definitely the demand in PC for a big ship, hence why Harmony is there and the 3/4 day cruises got upgraded to Mariner.

However, adding an additional Oasis Class would be a major leap in capacity. They have never had 3 ships in PC (except for when Explorer came for one season, but that was likely a test to see if they had enough demand to support Oasis). I think they should add an extra ship in the winter to PC and take it from there, but best not to put all their eggs in one basket. Same with Texas, when an Oasis Class goes there, I believe it will replace Liberty, not supplement her.

Also, there is the problem that there simply aren't enough Oasis Class for that to happen. If we have 1 rotating Europe/Florida, 1 rotating NJ/Florida, 1 year round in Miami and 1 year round in Port Canaveral, there is only one additional ship, and that will likely go to Texas, unless the Asia rumour is true.

11 hours ago, Joe01 said:

there is only one additional ship, and that will likely go to Texas, unless the Asia rumour is true.

Lets not forget that at NO time did RC the captain mention Asia, that was done by yourself.

You may be correct in your guess work but right now only those in charge know and even then they could change their mind. 

16 minutes ago, Ray said:

Lets not forget that at NO time did RC the captain mention Asia, that was done by yourself.

You may be correct in your guess work but right now only those in charge know and even then they could change their mind. 

When did I ever say that it was someone else who mentioned Asia? All I said that the Captain implied Asia based on his language. I don't see what the issue with my quoted post is here.

Your taking things way way out of context and in your own words putting words in my mouth i didnt say...at no point do i ever say " you said the captain said Asia" In fact i have always made the point that the captain said in your own words " specific Market" You yourself have stated that its your thoughts thats its Asia and that the captain didnt actually say it....

Now ALL i said was in reply to your post, that being its a rumour but as you have stated a rumour the captain didnt even start it, it was you yourself.

Nothing wrong with what i said if you actually read it properly 

Rumour or not it would be great if a  RCL ship had her home port in Melbourne.   I'm excited that Eclipse will make Melbourne her home port but would love a Royal ship here too...   Yes I'm being greedy ?  And I haven't even cruised on Royal and I'm already addicted..  Think my loyalty to Celebrity is swaying.....

Just now, jayde43 said:

Rumour or not it would be great if a  RCL ship had her home port in Melbourne.   I'm excited that Eclipse will make Melbourne her home port but would love a Royal ship here too...   Yes I'm being greedy ?  And I haven't even cruised on Royal and I'm already addicted..  Think my loyalty to Celebrity is swaying.....

Melbourne would be an awesome home port. Not so sure that they would send a mega ship there first though, but could be a good place for Voyager or Serenade to sail from. I imagine Ovation will stay in Sydney.

1 minute ago, Jaymac Radio said:

Well @Joe01 The Port Can Hold Two Oasis Class Ships A Week. Next Year Oasis And Harmony Will Both Dock At Pc Every Week In The Summer.

Yes - Oasis is visiting but that's not the same as two being homeported from there. Oasis is taking people from the New York/New Jersey market, while Harmony is serving those sailing from PC. 

1 minute ago, Joe01 said:

Melbourne would be an awesome home port. Not so sure that they would send a mega ship there first though, but could be a good place for Voyager or Serenade to sail from. I imagine Ovation will stay in Sydney.

My first Royal cruise is on Voyager in November and 2nd Ovation in March.   I have been on 3 Celebrity and one a company I wont mention ?   Celebrity is getting out of my price bracket.   If I want to do more than one cruise a year hehehehehe  ?