Pricing vs Refurb

Pen

My family is currently saving to go on Oasis out of Bayonne next year.  I know Matt always recommends booking sooner oppose to later and we hope to do that.  My question is....does Royal Caribbean typically raise the rates on ships newly out of refurb?

@Pen..There is really no rhyme or reason to the pricing. Newer and/or refurbished ships may or may not cost more depending on the specific sailing and how quickly the cabins are selling. We booked a cruise last December for May 2020 on Adventure. A couple of weeks after that, the price dropped about $75. Since then the price went up 3 times. With their latest "sale" the price today is $1126 more than what we paid on December.

My point is...if you are comfortable with a price for your vacation, book it. Then keep checking and if the price decreases you (or your travel agent if you used one) can call and get your booking adjusted.

Good luck and happy sailing.

33 minutes ago, Skid said:

@Pen..There is really no rhyme or reason to the pricing. Newer and/or refurbished ships may or may not cost more depending on the specific sailing and how quickly the cabins are selling. We booked a cruise last December for May 2020 on Adventure. A couple of weeks after that, the price dropped about $75. Since then the price went up 3 times. With their latest "sale" the price today is $1126 more than what we paid on December.

My point is...if you are comfortable with a price for your vacation, book it. Then keep checking and if the price decreases you (or your travel agent if you used one) can call and get your booking adjusted.

Good luck and happy sailing.

Thank you for the feedback!  Our vacation plans have went from 2 to 4 to 6 ....now 8 of us.  But I am not sure when everyone can book....

Yes.  I am willing to bet that OA will raise prices after revitalization.  In fact, I have been tracking prices on OA for a while now and when the prices for Bayonne were released, they already are quite a bit more compared to Nov 2019-Apr 2020 when she is still in Miami.  I currently am booked on OA for March 2020.  I booked this sailing over a year ago.  I have watched the fares rise steadily for this sailing over the last 15 months.  I am sure it will continue to rise after they announce the plans for revitalization.  I would not wait too long to book it.

8 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Yes.  I am willing to bet that OA will raise prices after revitalization.  In fact, I have been tracking prices on OA for a while now and when the prices for Bayonne were released, they already are quite a bit more compared to Nov 2019-Apr 2020 when she is still in Miami.  I currently am booked on OA for March 2020.  I booked this sailing over a year ago.  I have watched the fares rise steadily for this sailing over the last 15 months.  I am sure it will continue to rise after they announce the plans for revitalization.  I would not wait too long to book it.

Because of your love for the Oasis ships, I booked Oasis for next year.

9 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I appreciate the info!  I am hoping to book within the next month, but want to pass on to family the potential that the rates may rise if they wait till later this year.

25 minutes ago, Pen said:

I appreciate the info!  I am hoping to book within the next month, but want to pass on to family the potential that the rates may rise if they wait till later this year.

I am telling you this from experience book now before they release what Oasis gets during its Amped dry dock.. The second Mariner got the dry dock prices went right up.. Then the same happened with Navigator.. They know people want to go on a boat with all cool new stuff so they do raise the price.. I would book as soon as you possibly can. 

2 minutes ago, AGSLC5 said:

I am telling you this from experience book now before they release what Oasis gets during its Amped dry dock.. The second Mariner got the dry dock prices went right up.. Then the same happened with Navigator.. They know people want to go on a boat with all cool new stuff so they do raise the price.. I would book as soon as you possibly can. 

I was worried that may be the case that with all the updates it would attract purchases despite price increases.  And to be honest, we are thrilled Oasis will be updated as well   :)

Oasis in December right after she comes back from her AMP are some of the cheapest Oasis class sailings I've seen.  They are even discounting the single supplement.  

Oasis in Bayonne is higher in price because of the market.  Folks in the greater NYC area are excited by the prospects of the first ever visit of an Oasis class ship in Bayonne.

Cruise pricing follows supply and demand principles.  High demand equates to higher prices.     Lower demand equates to lower prices. 

The first two weeks of December is a seasonal low for the cruise market year after year.  Despite being fresh out of her AMP and refresh the prices are low because demand is low.  

Clearly they have not placed a premium on Oasis just because of her refresh, any price trends are because of demand.  

Certain cruises have a premium applied because they are bucket list itineraries.  Panama Canal, Alaska, Transpacific, etc.  Royal has a lot of historical sales trends to use as a basis to set initial prices.  They know Oasis in Bayonne will be popular so they can nudge initial prices higher.  They'll watch bookings and adjust accordingly.  Just like a transatlantic on a Vision class ship will not be in demand so they know they have to lower prices, often below $50 per person per night to try to fill it.  

9 hours ago, Pen said:

My family is currently saving to go on Oasis out of Bayonne next year.  I know Matt always recommends booking sooner oppose to later and we hope to do that.  My question is....does Royal Caribbean typically raise the rates on ships newly out of refurb?

The sooner you book the better! Trust me. Also remember once you book you can ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS reprise your reservation up until your final payment day to ensure you are getting the best deal possible. Either you book with a travel agency or directly with RCL the same reprising policy applies. Of course it’s as easy as that but make sure you are checking Apple to Apples. Example if you book a refundable ticket check for refundable prices only, unless you are committed to your sailing date and you are ready for the non refundable T&C go for it since it’s always cheaper the the refundable ticket ? 

11 hours ago, Pen said:

I will echo everyone else’s recommendations. Having been the shepherd for many a group cruise, do NOT wait for others to decide and/or act. Everyone always says “yes” to a group cruise and then many will balk when it comes time to pony up the cash. If you wait on them you will end up paying more and they STILL won’t be going with you.

There  is no down side to booking early unless you book a nonrefundable deposit and later decide to cancel.  If there is a price drop you can reprice.  If the fares go up, you made out !

Ditto.  Just book refundable and you can't lose.  If your dates change or it doesn't work out at all, then you can cancel and get your money back. And if the price goes down, then you can call in for the lower price (refundable or non-refundable). And if the price goes up, you are locked in at the lower price.  I check my prices almost daily to see if any price drops.

We always do this...and then once we book airline, we'll switch to non-refundable if the price is cheaper.  But note...for 2 of our bookings, the price has gone up that we are better keeping our refundable rate.  I've noticed a big jump in prices the past few weeks so I'd just book. Once they announce the changes for Oasis...this may be a trigger too for price increase if the changes are impressive.

1 hour ago, WannaCruise said:

Just book refundable and you can't lose.  If your dates change or it doesn't work out at all, then you can cancel and get your money back. And if the price goes down, then you can call in for the lower price (refundable or non-refundable). And if the price goes up, you are locked in at the lower price.  I check my prices almost daily to see if any price drops.

Love this advice.

12 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I will echo everyone else’s recommendations. Having been the shepherd for many a group cruise, do NOT wait for others to decide and/or act. Everyone always says “yes” to a group cruise and then many will balk when it comes time to pony up the cash. If you wait on them you will end up paying more and they STILL won’t be going with you.

There  is no down side to booking early unless you book a nonrefundable deposit and later decide to cancel.  If there is a price drop you can reprice.  If the fares go up, you made out !

You make a good point...I'd hate to wait additional time for everyone to get on the same page, then have plans fall through.  I think we will book as soon as we can  :)