Miami hotel recommendations

karl_nj

I love the Intercontinental Miami!  It is minutes (by car) away from the port.  Fantastic bay views.  Classy property.  With my kids though, I would not be as likely to stay there. 

There is also Holiday Inn just down the street from the Intercontinental that is more family friendly. 

Good options in the Miami Brickell area too.  Hampton Inn in Brickell is great for families.  There is also the new Hyatt Centric in Brickell that looks amazing and has a variety of different room types for families.  With my kids, I would likely choose the Hyatt Centric even though it is a bit further from the port. 

I haven't really researched South Beach as much so hopefully someone can give recommendations there.

Here are a few reviews by @Matt:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2018/06/11/intercontinental-miami-hotel-review

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2018/11/07/holiday-inn-port-of-miami-downtown-hotel-review

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2018/12/13/doubletree-hilton-grand-hotel-biscayne-bay-hotel-review

@Ralph, the port of Miami is not really set up in a way that you could walk there.  The ships dock on Dodge Island so you would likely need some sort of transportation to get there.

3 minutes ago, Ralph said:

Thank you very much @Lovetocruise2002 This is helpful!! This is our very first cruise, going in June out of Miami on the Navigator.  We are doing the 4 Night Bahamas and Perfect Day Cruise.   I am trying to gather as much information as possible and this blog has been extremely helpful!

Welcome to the message boards!  Ask away.  We love to talk cruising here.

If you want something close to the port, I would say that Holiday Inn Miami (downtown) and Intercontinental Miami are going to be your closest to the port.  But you still need transportation.

39 minutes ago, mworkman said:

I’ll second this one, the Doubletree next door or the Hilton across the street (connected by a bridge).  Not sure if you have a preference on hotel chain but if not here are a few items to consider about these properties.  

- Easy access from the airport via the dolphin expressway.

- They tend to be close enough to the cruise port and the Bayside Marketplace.

- They tend to be a little less costly than the ones near the Intercontinental.

- if you are using Uber or taxi and don’t have a car there is a small mall between the Doubletree and the Marriott. Good enough for some small last minute items, if needed, and a few options for dining without leaving the property.

- All tend to have rooms that overlook the water and can see the cruise port.  So a great way to start the cruise experience.    

13 minutes ago, ScooterScott22 said:

They tend to be close enough to the cruise port and the Bayside Marketplace.

This is a huge deciding factor us.  We love to walk around there and along the water.  There is also a park right next to Bayside.  Perfect for a walk after dinner.  I can't wait to go back there in July!

I can recommend the Hampton Miami Brickell. We stayed there this past November and would definitely stay again. A big plus is that the price includes a very decent breakfast buffet. Lots of eating places in walking distance and just a couple of hundred yards away you have the free metro mover which will take you to the Bayside area.

Just a suggestion, whichever hotel you choose, if you are not a member of their loyalty programme sign up before booking as this will often get you an extra 5% to 10% off the price. Hampton Inn is a member of the Hilton chain, for example.

Thanks to @Lovetocruise2002 for sharing those hotel reviews.

I'd also add that proximity to PortMiami is irrelevant in my opinion since no hotel allows you to walk to the ship and/or avoid a car/bus ride to the port.  With that in mind, I think it's more important about picking a hotel that offers access to something you are interested in or amenities you enjoy in a hotel.

On 4/21/2019 at 11:36 AM, karl_nj said:

Anyone have any Miami Hotel recommendations?  Flying into Miami the day before our August cruise on Symphony.  Don't plan to rent a car.  There will be 5 of us, my wife and I, and my 2 kids and my mother.

We’ve done the Residence Inn Miami Airport several times which we like because it’s easy to get a 1 bedroom suite and it’s a quick ride to the port. 

On Navigator next month we’re trying out the JW Marriott Miami which I’ll be sure to review in my live blog.  

1 hour ago, Andrew72681 said:

JW Marriott Miami

I am so curious to hear what you think of this property.  Recently, a SC cruiser that I know did not think highly of this property at all.  In fact, he tried it out twice (once in January and once again in March), second time was comped due to problems the first time and he flat out said he would not do it again.  I was really surprised (both times) as I have always known this property to be really high rated.  And this cruiser that I heard this from is as low maintenance and friendly as they come.

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I am so curious to hear what you think of this property.  Recently, a SC cruiser that I know did not think highly of this property at all.  In fact, he tried it out twice (once in January and once again in March), second time was comped due to problems the first time and he flat out said he would not do it again.  I was really surprised (both times) as I have always known this property to be really high rated.  And this cruiser that I heard this from is as low maintenance and friendly as they come.

Interesting, because we originally had booked the Marriott Biscayne Bay but after reading bad reviews moved to the JW. 

Last july, we stayed at the Holiday Inn Port-of-miami on Biscayne Blvd. It is right across the Baymarket. It is perfect for a short stay before the cruise. The ride to the port is less than 10 min with Uber. The brickell area also has a number of quite decent hotels and they are close to the metromover. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for Miami hotel recommendations.... MIA airport / port of Miami.  Something big must be going on because the downtown hotels are higher than normal..  I don't need a "free shuttle" service because I find it a frustrating test in patience when I use a "free shuttle", and I like to board early.  I will likely use Uber to get around. I may stay in the airport lagoon area, or head to south beach...  

We just got back from cruising from Miami and stayed for the third time at the Hilton Airport Blue Lagoon. We love it! Free shuttle to and from airport and shuttle to the port for $13 per person. We stay there the night before and the night after. They have a wonderful pool and outdoor bar area. Only downside there aren't really restaurants in walking distance so we eat at the hotel restaurant. I think it is pricey, but it is no more so than other area restaurants. Also, there is a wonderful pizza delivery, Don Favio's.