Watch Pricing On-Board

karl_nj

I'm thinking about buying a new watch, so I happen to be familiar with current pricing for a few watch brands.  Wasn't planning on buying anything on-board, but was curious about their pricing, so I went in and made a few inquiries at the watch store on-board Anthem.

They appear to be an authorized Omega dealer.  They were selling the Speedmaster Professional "moonwatch" for $5250.  Current retail price is $5350, but I believe the price just went up in January.  This watch has two models, one with a sapphire crystal, and one with a hesalite "crystal" (a/k/a plastic).  You can tell the difference between the two because the hesalite has a steel caseback, vs the display caseback for the sapphire crystal model.  The salesman claimed this watch had a sapphire crystal, but I politely corrected him and explained the difference.  He then told me that they were willing to negotiate the price.  I didn't bother because I know I can get a slightly used one for around $3750, or a new one for about $1000 off the list price.

They are not an authorized Rolex dealer, but they do have a few used datejusts for sale.  I was appalled that they were asking over $10k for a used 36mm two-tone Datejust from the 90's.  You can get a brand new one for $11,200.  Tourneau will sell you a used one for around $5500.  If you shop around you can probably get one for even less. 

They only had datejusts, none of the "professional" models, like a Submariner. 

I did end up buying a Bulova watch for my wife from the "sidewalk sale" and I was happy with the price I paid.  It was a little more ($19) then I would have paid if I had ordered from Amazon, but the saleswoman was very helpful with finding watches according to my wife's specifications, and they were able to remove a few links from the bracelet so it fit correctly.  The last time I bought my wife a watch online, we always intended to go someplace to get the links removed, but we never got around to it.  The jewelry store would probably have charged us $15-$20 for that service anyway.  Plus now whenever she looks at the watch, she has the memory of buying it on the cruise.

I always assumed the watches on the "sidewalk sale" where the ripoffs, and that perhaps could could get a better deal on a more expensive watch in the "stores".  Turns out it's the opposite!

Ehh, most of the sidewalk sale watches are also ripoffs. I can't remember the specifics, but I think it was Invicta who had some really neat branded watches- marvel and star wars, some of which were subtle enough to just be normal watches with a nod to the branding if you looked closely. I don't remember the price ranges, probably $150-250, of course "marked down" from $700+. I pulled up Invicta's website and they were all $30 cheaper there at their regular price.

I always look at the watches, but then I look online before I buy anything on the ship.  In my experience, everything on the ship is much more than I could get it for online.  I use Crown and Caliber as a good gauge for the used watches.  I've also had the same experience with the Bulova watches on the sidewalk sale being about $30 more than Amazon.  

Just now, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

It’s ashame, most people don’t do any research and get ripped off. I think it’s because some see a duty free sign and just assume it’s cheaper than anywhere else.  

This is true on land and at sea. Marketing tactics aren't unique to Royal Caribbean, so it's always a good idea to whip out your phone and do some quick comparison shopping.

I found the Invicta prices to be comparable to that offered by other outlets.  seems Invicta sets very high ($1000+) "retail prices"....that no one actually sells at!  After seeing Invictas on-board I checked them out on-line after the cruise and found an Invicta I liked that the cruise didnt have at about the same price as the cruise offerings, so i bought it

After getting hammered for $9 for a six pack of single blade bic razors I knew to keep eyes open. I've dabbled in diamonds and tanzanite for quite a while and I have seen some laughable pricing on board. That being said I have seen both better and worse on shore. I scored a diamond pendant in Nassau that was genuinely a good deal. Same shop though had abysmally bad price on another item. Girlfriend knows purses and did find good deals on board though so they did eventually get us for some money.

• 2 years later...