Passport in port

1 hour ago, Galoonkiss said:

Help I’m new to cruising & need some advice. Do we need our passports when we get off the ship in Bermuda or will a photocopy be okay?

Thans for any help you can provide.

Welcome!

Unless something has changed, you do not need to take your passport off of the ship... some people still do elect to take them.

We went to Bermuda in 2013 and 2015 with RC and never took our passport off of the ship (left locked in cabin safe the whole cruise) at any time... you only need it when you first board the ship on Day 1 and when you have to clear customs when you leave the ship at the end of your cruise. I did take my driver's license since it was in my wallet as an additional form of ID.

All you need is your sea pass to get on/off the ship at the destination ports. They scan your sea pass and verify your identity with the photo they have of you in the computer/security system.

17 minutes ago, Galoonkiss said:

Thank you, that helps a lot!

You're welcome!

I think some people get nervous and take them just in case there is some kind of major emergency and they cannot get back to the ship to collect their passport (don't want to be stuck in a foreign country w/o their passport). I think most people "roll the dice" with that risk at most common destinations!

It's just that RC doesn't need to see your passport for you to leave/return to the ship...

Most cruisers fall into one of two categories: those who NEVER get off the ship without their passport and those who leave it in their cabin's safe the entire cruise.  There have been countless debates and they generally all boil down to what happens if you miss the ship because you need a passport to fly internationally so being stranded on an island without a passport would be a big problem.  Theoretically, the ship's crew will enter your cabin and retrieve any passports in the safe and leave them with the port authority before the ship departs without you.  The always bring your passport crowd doesn't want to rely on that.