Anthem Entertainment ???

rjac

We are now 84 days out from Anthem Bermuda cruise to Bermuda. Have done the Check In/Set Sail Pass with photos just waiting for the luggage tags to be added. Still no entertainment posted in the Cruise Planner. Is this typical for the Anthem? This will be the first we sail on her. I'm not worrying about pre-booking as we got the Key (at the $19.99 price). Thanks in advance. :27_sunglasses: 

Late has been typical for entertainment for Anthem sailings recently - Released March 19th for my April 13th cruise (just arrived back today).

This wasn't the case for my April cruise last year.

However, iFly and North Star reservations were released much earlier, like in past years.

We booked out about 70 days prior.  I can say We Will Rock You is worth it, and Spectra too.  However, I can't remember the 3rd show, but recall absolutely hating it.  

OBTW, We would go to the 270 for lunch (you can find the kummelwreck there).   Their broccoli cheese soup is great. The options are limited,  but bc so few realize it exists, it is nice and quiet.   I can't recall what time the acrobats train for Spectra, but if you time it right you can see them practicing.  I want to say 12:30-1:00.   It was neat to watch.  I don't think anybody that was eating ever left while they were practicing.  The bar was open in the 270, so depending how long you stayed, and how long they practiced, you got to see the show during the day.

Thank you, that was the name.  I actually thought to myself, did I drink too much at dinner bc I cannot follow this story at all.  We actually joked that this show reminded us of the Producers...let's create a play nobody will ever see, and lo and behold it gets purchased.  Whoever selected that show, should have lost their job in my mind.  As my husband said...that was 90 minutes of killing my time, thankfully I have the DBP!  

OBTW, make sure you stay for the encore regarding We Will Rock You.  So many passengers get up and start leaving as soon they bow...kvetching I can't believe they didn't sing ….  They will come back on stage and sing that song.  It is funny to watch bc now they are all trying to get back in.  Somebody let me in on that secret.  Our group was getting up, and I said sit down.  Hoping and praying I was not let awry.  1 min. later and my group turned and said OMG you were right!

PIMA ... now this gets funnier.  The first time I saw it, I did have too much to drink.  Therefore, I gave it a second chance the next time we were on Anthem.  Totally sober, should have been drunk.

I saw Columbus on Anthem 2 months ago ... that should be the Show quality they are aiming for on their in-house productions.

Curt from Canada

18 minutes ago, Curt From Canada said:

PIMA ... it could have been "The Gift" and is was terrible.  I saw it twice (just in case I was wrong the first time).  I was not.

OMG, one of the crew was talking about the show and he told us to close our eyes when the flashing and the dragon come out and open them towards the end of the show.  I have to say that he was absolutely right!  We were talking to quite a few people and we all were confused!  What in the world did the dragon, being in a train station, and someone doing BMX tricks have to do with what the gift was?  The acting was good for the show but the writing was absolutely horrible, when you loose most of the audience that isn't a good thing! It was almost like they threw several pieces of several other completely different shows together and expected a good outcome. 

I will also say for our sailing I think passengers knew of the poor reviews.  There was no line, and the theater at best was 1/2 full.  

Redoing a set on a cruise ship is not only expensive, but difficult.  New sets, new music, new choreography, new scripts, etc.  I am shocked in a way that they got rid of The Gift.  That is $$$.  However, I am happy that RCCL saw that passengers never liked it.   To me it shows that they are listening to their clients via the questionnaire at the end of the sailing.  Or maybe it is the staff at The Gift is 50% less attendance than We Will Rock You and that more people are doing Trivia in Schooners than attending that show.  

Now if RCCL will hear their passengers and get rid of that crappy new design for the soda cup.

2 hours ago, Curt From Canada said:

PIMA ... it could have been "The Gift" and is was terrible.  I saw it twice (just in case I was wrong the first time).  I was not.

That was the name!  I didn't save my Cruise Compasses then and couldn't think of it.  The summary posted outside the theatre was a word salad.  Granted, jukebox shows exist as a vehicle for the underlying music, but The Gift was the only musical on Royal I ever considered leaving.  It was painful to see actors who shined in the other production show stuck in this one.

2 hours ago, Pima1988 said:

I am shocked in a way that they got rid of The Gift.  That is $$$.  However, I am happy that RCCL saw that passengers never liked it.   To me it shows that they are listening to their clients via the questionnaire at the end of the sailing.

Wait, what?? I saw the earlier comment about seeing Columbus on Anthem and thought that was a goof; did they actually replace The Gift with Columbus?? When did this happen??

13 hours ago, Curt From Canada said:

Therefore, I gave it a second chance the next time we were on Anthem.  Totally sober, should have been drunk.

You are not the 1st person that said they gave it a 2nd try.  Some said, on the 2nd go they understood it more.  However, for me, I would rather sit on the pool deck and watch a movie listening to the ocean that I probably already saw months ago than endure that show again. 

Betting for @rjac when it does open up, they will not be reserving time slots for The Gift.  If they do go, maybe it is a challenge to them, so they can come back and explain the show to us.

For others that go and see this show, please explain the importance of the dragon?  I am sure it is metaphorical, but how, for what?  I just keep thinking they purchased a crappy script and thought, let's dazzle them with set decorations and lighting.  

9 hours ago, bhageerah said:

No “The Gift” is still alive and well! We saw it two weeks ago on Anthem and it is still as horrible as ever!?

My "favorite" part is the BMX bike tricks in the middle of the show.

I can't figure out which came first -- did the have an actor that could do BMX bike tricks and then wrote it into the show?  Or did they write it into the show, and then had to find someone that could fit the role?

I don't know if it  was my cruise, or it is common on Anthem, but we had a different late night comedian every time.  The one show, besides the Quest that was standing room only was the Love and Marriage show.  We traveled as a group.  For Love and Marriage we showed up 30 mins prior, and could not find seats together.  For Quest we were there 45 mins prior, no problem. 

I would also say that the 70s night was huge.  It was standing room only.  Trivia was done in Schooners, and impo they should have moved it to 270.  It was packed, so get there early if you want a table.

We had reservations for the others, and there were people waiting in line when we did the check in, but the theatre was never full.  As a matter of fact, I have sensitive hearing.  We saw The Gift the 1st night, and be it that the theatre was not full, where we sat, the lights. it was just too loud or I had to concentrate on following the story line, I got up and went to the back near the bar bc I was getting a migraine.  For We Will Rock You, we sat closer to the back, nowhere near the speakers (overhead).  We saw everything perfectly and I did not feel like the music was vibrating through my body.

1 minute ago, SweetPea said:

Does Royal play the shows on your stateroom TV for later viewing like other cruise lines? We had no plans to schedule seeing The Gift, but you've all made me curious... It sounds like an absolute train wreck. :8_laughing:

I am not a show individual but the wife is, that being said I am a show person by default!? We see most shows on most ships that we have been on, and I honestly as of yet have not seen one that I really did not care for, UNTIL seeing "The Gift" I do not fault the actors as I have already said I fault the writers! I doubt even being heavily intoxicated would help!!!?I do not remember seeing this one on TV in the room, it would have been perfect to put me to sleep at night! 

6 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

Does Royal play the shows on your stateroom TV for later viewing like other cruise lines? We had no plans to schedule seeing The Gift, but you've all made me curious... It sounds like an absolute train wreck. :8_laughing:

Sorry, but I am LMAO with your comment.  The reason why is that if they did, I would have immediately switched the channel.  Paid the price/pain, would not want to relive it again, I am on vacation afterall.

I know that they do show clips of the activities the night before, but not if they show the productions.  For example, a table next to us became great friends with our group during the cruise.  They actually changed into 70's outfits.  They do a Conga line and the next a.m. we saw them in it.  They were the dinner conversation topic.

20 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

It sounds like an absolute train wreck. 

Here's my advice.  Don't book it.  Go gamble. walk the ship, hang out at Schooners, try to find the Stowaway.  Than 30 mins after it starts see if you can walk in.  Ten will get you twenty you can.  After 15 minutes, ten will get me twenty you will walk out.   However, you will be able to say...did that, and collected the check.  

My husband was military for 20+ yrs.  He didn't like going to the sandbox, but he laughs about it now.  That is my only comparison when it comes to The Gift.  You will laugh later on when you discuss the 90 minutes of killing time on your cruise.

17 hours ago, rjac said:

We are now 84 days out from Anthem Bermuda cruise to Bermuda. Have done the Check In/Set Sail Pass with photos just waiting for the luggage tags to be added. Still no entertainment posted in the Cruise Planner. Is this typical for the Anthem? This will be the first we sail on her. I'm not worrying about pre-booking as we got the Key (at the $19.99 price). Thanks in advance. :27_sunglasses: 

The ability to book entertainment wasn’t available for us until 32 days out for our upcoming Anthem cruise.