Star Gazing on the Allure

14 hours ago, Splendora Diggitt said:

I'm really excited to see the stars at night (Eastern Caribbean) but if memory serves from my last cruise there are an awful lot of lights on at night time on the upper decks (safety reasons).  Where on the ship can I go at night to see a bazillion stars?

The helipad was almost scarily dark on Mariner and you could see plenty of stars.  If you're on an Oasis or Quantum class I would try going as far forward as you can on the front of the ship and then up as close to the bridge as you can.  It tends to be a little darker in those areas so they can see better out of the bridge.

Public spaces tend to be well lit making cruise ships not ideal for stargazing.  The helipad is not open to the public on Allure. 

At the moment the public deck right above the bridge may be your best location.  Deck 14 forward.

Right now that public deck covers the width of the bridge.  The solarium is different on Oasis and Allure compared to Harmony and Symphony and we are all waiting to see if this area will change when Oasis and Allure are refreshed in 2019 and 2020.  

Good luck. We were on Indy a couple weeks back, and the night sky from the helipad rivaled some of my more remote backpacking trips.  On our last night at sea, my 9yo daughter spotted a satellite!  It was one of our favorite things to do post dinner.  We often had the whole space to ourselves. 

5 hours ago, twangster said:

Public spaces tend to be well lit making cruise ships not ideal for stargazing.  The helipad is not open to the public on Allure. 

At the moment the public deck right above the bridge may be your best location.  Deck 14 forward.

Right now that public deck covers the width of the bridge.  The solarium is different on Oasis and Allure compared to Harmony and Symphony and we are all waiting to see if this area will change when Oasis and Allure are refreshed in 2019 and 2020.  

Twangster is right! On deck 14 you will go to the port side stateroom corridor. Walk as far as you can in the direction of the bow. You will reach a door that takes you to a hidden observation deck (Image attached). There are some low lights that shine down from the railing but no overhead lights. I always go here to look at the stairs. 

If you are cruising the April 21-28 itinerary, I hope to see you there. On Monday night going into Tuesday morning The Lyrid Meter Shower will peak! 

Best of luck! 

Capture.PNG