Cruise Planner False Pricing Scheme - BEWARE !!

FYI  to everyone:

IF you book any spa treatments, fitness, etc through the Cruise Planner, please make sure that the advertised price is the price that  you are paying as RCCL has practices of misleading their loyal cruisers. It was recently brought to my attention by a friend who pointed this out to me which made me look at all of my reservations on several cruises I have booked and I'm glad she did as I didn't even notice that the price increased as you purchased it. I couldn't believe my eyes. I contacted RCCL to see why the "sneaky" pricing practice/scheme and the only thing I got was a constant "we truly apologize but we are probably having website issues and the original price isn't updating".  My 2 year old niece wouldn't even buy that excuse especially when the same practice/scheme is on several reserved cruises. Solution: I cancelled every reservation that had the issue with the customer service representative doing the cancellation.

In addition, a nice letter went to Customer Relations and to Corporate with lots of screenshots along with C.C.'s to several notable travel websites, message boards and even a news channel, which I can't name a personal friend works there and I didn't want to blow them up.  Hence, three days later, I get a call from a Manager from Customer Relations who apologized, offered the original price on the original reservations and extended a courtesy FCC with a "side comment" and I quote, "I hope we have resolved and corrected any issues you have and please feel free to inform everyone of our auspicious courtesy." I guess RCCL wanted me to circulate their "good deed"??? Subtle....real subtle!!

Who says it doesn't pay to "b**ch" here and there!!  ?

Spa pricing is variable.  They advertise them "Starting From..." not for a fixed price.

209654050_Spamassage.jpeg.89ae2f01a1916ec025a53182d62d7bfe.jpeg

As can be expected people book the cheaper times quickly, much like cruise fares, leaving more expensive times for guests who book later.  Peak or more desirable times are more expensive.  Everyone knows you can get spa deals on ports days for the same reason.

1458320439_spaday9.jpeg.7d5a98af3d74b4552d4f0d6e04576b0a.jpeg

Is there more to this "scam" or was your friend just new to cruising and didn't understand the variable pricing the spa offers?

40 minutes ago, twangster said:

Spa pricing is variable.  They advertise them "Starting From..." not for a fixed price.

209654050_Spamassage.jpeg.89ae2f01a1916ec025a53182d62d7bfe.jpeg

As can be expected people book the cheaper times quickly, much like cruise fares, leaving more expensive times for guests who book later.  Peak or more desirable times are more expensive.  Everyone knows you can get spa deals on ports days for the same reason.

1458320439_spaday9.jpeg.7d5a98af3d74b4552d4f0d6e04576b0a.jpeg

Is there more to this "scam" or was your friend just new to cruising and didn't understand the variable pricing the spa offers?

As proven by your screenshots, where did you find any time slot for $89.00? In essence, the lowest you see is $99.00 and not $89.00 as a starting price and further confirmed by RCCL themselves as the website should have updated automatically. Either way, RCCL recognized their error and honored the original pricing along with the add'l FCC. I'm happy with the outcome. 

Car dealers offer billboards with signs such as "Car's from $31,500".  That doesn't mean that every car is $31,500 or that at any given moment they have a car on the lot that is $31,500.  

You can find examples of this every day in life from houses, cars, computers, vacations to cruises.

I can book an all inclusive vacation with flights to Bora Bora starting at just $999 per person.  Those cheap rates sold out a long time ago and now for the date and times I want it's not $999 per person but $1,699 per person.  How is this a scam?

2 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

As proven by your screenshots, where did you find any time slot for $89.00? In essence, the lowest you see is $99.00 and not $89.00 as a starting price and further confirmed by RCCL themselves as the website should have updated automatically. Either way, RCCL recognized their error and honored the original pricing along with the add'l FCC. I'm happy with the outcome. 

In all fairness..that is only one day selected that is showing prices..  There could be $89 figures on the other days.  Is it a deliberate, intentional marketing strategy?  More than likely..and it isn't unique to Royal or the cruising industry.

3 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

In all fairness..that is only one day selected that is showing prices..  There could be $89 figures on the other days.  Is it a deliberate, intentional marketing strategy?  More than likely..and it isn't unique to Royal or the cruising industry.

In all fairness, that also isn't the cruise that I have booked. But, you are more than welcomed to disprove RCCL's admitted error.

11 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

In all fairness, that also isn't the cruise that I have booked. But, you are more than welcomed to disprove RCCL's admitted error.

I see that they resolved the issue, but I don't see how they admitted they were in error.  Actually looking at what you quoted it appears they very carefully side-stepped admitting to an error.

23 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

I quote, "I hope we have resolved and corrected any issues you have and please feel free to inform everyone of our auspicious courtesy." I guess RCCL wanted me to circulate their "good deed"??? Subtle....real subtle!!

They even stated you were the one with issues ? I find corporations' attempts to CYA pretty hilarious most of the time.

They honored the original price and offered up some FCC..sweet deal..way to stick it to the "man"  ?

For what it's worth..I checked a cruise planner of mine and it said From $89.99 but NONE of my days even have an $89.99 spot available..guess they all got snatched up already if they existed.  Nothing with Royal's pricing surprises me anymore..and I know to always check and double check before I click checkout, especially with them.

15 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I see that they resolved the issue, but I don't see how they admitted they were in error.  Actually looking at what you quoted it appears they very carefully side-stepped admitting to an error.

They even stated you were the one with issues ? I find corporations' attempts to CYA pretty hilarious most of the time.

They honored the original price and offered up some FCC..sweet deal..way to stick it to the "man"  ?

For what it's worth..I checked a cruise planner of mine and it said From $89.99 but NONE of my days even have an $89.99 spot available..guess they all got snatched up already if they existed.  Nothing with Royal's pricing surprises me anymore..and I know to always check and double check before I click checkout, especially with them.

When RCCL admitted issues with their website, it goes to admission, but it's all up to interpretation.  You checked " and it said From $89.99 but NONE of my days even have an $89.99 spot available" ... Per RCCL, the website should have then updated to the "newest" lower price. Thats where RCCL admits the error lies with their website not updating. Love the excessive circumventing on this website.  ?

35 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

You seem to be avoiding acknowledging the other examples of this type of advertising...cars from X$, flights from $Y, etc.  Those "sales" don't update to the lowest price currently available either.

Your argument is moot as RCCL admitted their error on their website. As for the examples you are using, once again, a moot point as, per your own example, flights/airlines websites update flight info/pricing constantly and as for cars, their pricing structure has a starting point but as you add options such as premium wheels, dvd, etc., the price increases. 

3 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

Your argument is moot as RCCL admitted their error on their website. As for the examples you are using, once again, a moot point as, per your own example, flights/airlines websites update flight info/pricing constantly and as for cars, their pricing structure has a starting point but as you add options such as premium wheels, dvd, etc., the price increases. 

I’m sure RCL apologize and “recognize” their “”error”” due to the severity of your complaint. I’m sorry but you are the one in error.  The starting price is of $XX and when that price is booked it will only shows then other prices left to book. If you don’t know it, each spa service will vary in price depending on the time and day of booking even though it’s the same service, but booked on a different time/day. 

5 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

Thank you for the recognition. Remaining argument is speculation by a newbie who is unarmed. Have a nice day.

Well I maybe new in this group, but I certainly know what I’m taking about sorry. You feel so powerful and important that your complaint achieve something, however it does not take of the table the fact you are and will continue to be in error.  Ups sorry not sorry lady. If you want to know about RCL T&C and hidden polices hit me up I can teach you a LOT! 

I clearly understand what @princevaliantus is saying. To me it's bad marketing strategy, almost to the point of false advertising. When your marketing a service vs product, you could argue supply and demand drives the price up for the product industry, which would be correct. Now the service industry still remains the same for the service, its not like your going to receive better service due to a different allotted time.

This is why we don't use the Spa, most of the time you can get better service at one of the ports for a fraction of the price.

14 hours ago, mworkman said:

I clearly understand what @princevaliantus is saying. To me it's bad marketing strategy, almost to the point of false advertising. When your marketing a service vs product, you could argue supply and demand drives the price up for the product industry, which would be correct. Now the service industry still remains the same for the service, its not like your going to receive better service due to a different allotted time.

This is why we don't use the Spa, most of the time you can get better service at one of the ports for a fraction of the price.

And most of the spa personal have hardly any experience at all.  Kind of like the former holiday inn commercial where the person states I slept in a holiday inn last night after being asked how good are you at a certain job.  

I have used the spa on every single one of my cruises, we always pre-book on our planner.  The costs might be extravagant, but I use my OBC for that treat.  I am not sure how this became a shocker or false advertising, but I am a woman, thus I expect it.  IE. ask any woman that gets her haircut, colored and highlighted that they assume the price on their brochure is what they will pay in the end.  Their answer will be NO.  Why?  Because even though it says 39 for a cut, the fine print says it is tied to the length of their hair.  In the end 10 will get me 20, every woman walks up to the register and hands over their card, they don't argue.  They know it says XYZ dollars, but they understand that this was their starting price.  Same with getting our nails done.  Manicures may start at 20, but that is not for gel/shellac.  It is an upgrade.  For cruises, peak times are those upgrades.

I don't really know how this was a shock @Prince Valiant. When you go through the planner, as illustrated, you select the time.  It clearly states the cost.  You than again at check out acknowledge the cost.  I can get maybe the grat included threw a curve ball, but mathematically I would have said hold on a minute...that is close to 30 bucks more, how is that right, at 90 pp with grat I should be @107, but they are charging me 117, huh?.  I would have gone back and looked at the exact charge for that appointment before I hit submit.  

I also would point out that the spa is actually a 3rd party.  RCCL does not own the spa.  The spa contracts with RCCL for that area, and their employees are paid via that spa company, just like most of the shore excursions.

Your position would be like Black Friday doorbusters.  1st 100 customers will get a playbox for 100 bucks, the next 100 will get it at 200, etc.  You were number 101 and thus, you now pay the higher price.  Are you going to fight that store?  I am old enough to remember customers lining up/camping out days in advance at Best Buy for big screen tvs during Thanksgiving week.  1st come 1st serve.

To me RCCL is an amazing company from a customer service aspect.  Here are my 2 stories.

1. We were going to Bermuda on Anthem.  2 Hurricanes were tracked to be barreling down on Bermuda during our cruise.  48 hrs prior they contacted us via email and our phone.  Our cruise was being diverted to NE/Canada.  We could either cancel full refund and a FCC or they would give us 50% back, and 250 pp OBC on top of our OBC we already had.  We sailed.  The ship actually sailed 100% full.  That was a total loss for them, but they had happy passengers.  IMPO they made more money bc they now had 4000 passengers that felt appreciated.   Those passengers would return to them over Carnival or NCL because trust was created from this simple action.  These passengers, just like me spent money on the ship, be it now buying tee shirts, specialty dining or ship tours.

2. My family will be doing a cruise in July.  It is a family cruise.  We are using a TA.  My SIL has cruised a lot, but she is not loyal to any particular cruise line.  She has never used a TA.  This trip was booked 10 mos out.  Black Friday, we as a family did a conference call and booked excursions, beverage packages, spa apptmts.  Super Bowl Sunday she contacts me and screams at me...I am the one that set this trip up.   RCCL cancelled everything, but her room. She was ticked.   Long story short, her cabin mate cancelled and she did not tell our TA.  They kept saying you need your TA to do this, she fought them, and finally they relented.  Well, when they did, her excursions, etc. were removed, and only rebooked the room at a different rate (single balcony). I told her hold tight, I would get our TA involved, do not call RCCL again. I got on the phone immediately and talked to our TA. I called her back 1 hr later and said the TA will have it done by 9 a.m. Monday.   TA calls RCCL and finds out that she called them 5 TIMES between 2 pm Sunday and 9 am Monday.  The "this phone call may recorded" is true.  The TA heard their conversations.  The TA worked her magic.  RCCL not only rebooked everything at the same cost, but got them to throw in Champagne and chocolates for sail away, bottomless galley brunch, and Chefs table at no cost.  She was wrong to start off with, but RCCL did her more than right impo.  

My point is they try to make customers happy, even if it costs them some money.  They care about their reputation.  Cruising now is a very cut throat industry, unlike 20-25 yrs ago.  I am loyal to Royal, because they have never done me wrong.  I expect that their pricing/advertising is like other cruise lines.  Carnival has unlimited beverage package too, but it is limited to time between drinks and how many during the day.  RCCL is unlimited.  NCL has their pick and choose options, but it has limitations there too.  You need to be a savvy customers and read the fine print.

Finally, I hope you go on your cruise with an open mind.

Once again, I remind all to make your points without resorting to personal attacks or insults. 

I know it becomes unfathomable that someone could not see your line of thinking....

giphy.gif

...but at the end of the day, share your point and then move on.  We're discussing cruising, it should be fun!