Keepin' It (Star) Classy: Anthem Edition

SweetPea

5 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

Well, this just happened. 

(....)

It seems Star Class books up early for the longer itineraries and there was only one middle GL left, which I promptly snagged. It's very early to book, but I'll just suffer the penalty if we need to change anything. 12 nights is my sweet spot, so I'd rather have this on the books than not.

Oh, and Batman has no clue.... I will spring this on him at a time TBD... Probably on a rare night that he switches from Coors Lite to tequila... Or maybe in December when we do the same cruise on the Bliss and he starts whining that he has to get his own drink for the shows or that we have to leave our luggage out the night before disembarkation.... :28_hugging:

Ohhhh I have almost that exact itinerary (minus Bridgetown) in Jan 2021. I hope you'll consider live-blogging this one as well! 

6 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

It's very early to book, but I'll just suffer the penalty if we need to change anything.

Nonsense.  I had our December 2020 SC sailing booked since December 2018.  At that time, I booked SC for March 2021 as well.  Booking early is always the best bet.

7 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

Oh, and Batman has no clue.... I will spring this on him at a time TBD..

Lol!  Hubby also has no clue about where we are going half the time!  I'm pretty sure he has no idea what sailings we are doing after this summer.

12 minutes ago, spiralqueen said:

Ohhhh I have almost that exact itinerary (minus Bridgetown) in Jan 2021. I hope you'll consider live-blogging this one as well! 

Is it too early to start now? Kidding! 

Batman still has no idea I blogged my way through this vacation. I only got away with it because it was my birthday during the cruise and he assumed I was responding to well wishes, lol. 

11 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Nonsense.  I had our December 2020 SC sailing booked since December 2018.  At that time, I booked SC for March 2021 as well.  Booking early is always the best bet.

Lol!  Hubby also has no clue about where we are going half the time!  I'm pretty sure he has no idea what sailings we are doing after this summer.

I didn't want to risk having no SC available at all (heaven forbid!). Or be stuck in a corner GL for that length of time.... 

Half the time I claim I tell Batman about a vacation and then when he pleads ignorance, I tell him he must've forgotten. ?

Now this is getting silly. Not only did we get a post cruise survey, which they passed with flying colors, we got a phone call and email from Anjelica thanking us for our feedback. Now I just received another survey request to share our experience with Anjelica.... 

36 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

Now this is getting silly. Not only did we get a post cruise survey, which they passed with flying colors, we got a phone call and email from Anjelica thanking us for our feedback. Now I just received another survey request to share our experience with Anjelica.... 

Same thing happened with us...

On 5/7/2019 at 7:38 PM, SweetPea said:

Batman says we'll try luxury lines in 20 years. ? Nightlife is important to us, and we love the entertainment and variety a large ship offers. My crackwhip research shows the luxury lines are much more sedate. I'm too afraid we'll be bored, especially after 9pm. Not conducive to the elusive Midnight Mongoose.... 

There are many different types of lines out there - not just RCI and Crystal (for example).  As @JLMoran notes, we really enjoy Celebrity (especially Edge, but all their ships have been great for us) and find them a nice 'middle ground' in many ways.  If you like Royal, the good news is that Celebrity has a rather similar feel to it - but adjusted a bit differently.  This post explains the difference between the types of lines that are out there now, but I'm actually in the midst of updating that post to talk a bit about MSC and importantly, how Celebrity has become the more modern and young/active of the premium lines. 

As someone who is generally up until 1am even during the work week, I can assure you that Celebrity isn't shutting down after 9pm ?

On 5/7/2019 at 3:16 PM, SweetPea said:

We have no intention of canceling our 12-night Southern Caribbean 2BR/2 bath Haven room on the Bliss in December. I feel we got a good deal, and no SC rooms are available on the Anthem during the same time frame, and I remain hesitant to book us outside of SC. We're still really looking forward to the Bliss. We love the courtyard concept. 

After this, I still need to get bridge tour pics from Batman. I haven't even seen them yet myself. It'll be a surprise for all of us! 

Royal Port of Cape Liberty.docx 15.07 kB · 32 downloads

Wait a minute wait a minute!

I’m on the December 1, 2019 12-night Southern Caribbean sailing  on the Bliss in a Haven aft. Penthouse 

19 minutes ago, Dolls123 said:

Wait a minute wait a minute!

I’m on the December 1, 2019 12-night Southern Caribbean sailing  on the Bliss in a Haven aft. Penthouse 

Get out of town! See you onboard then! We booked ages ago when itineraries were first announced and thank God we did since prices have skyrocketed. We're on Deck 17. We'll buy you a drink in the Haven! :17_heart_eyes:

4 hours ago, SweetPea said:

Get out of town! See you onboard then! We booked ages ago when itineraries were first announced and thank God we did since prices have skyrocketed. We're on Deck 17. We'll buy you a drink in the Haven! :17_heart_eyes:

We booked while on board the Bliss last May. 

Now I'm really looking for to that cruise. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2019 at 7:42 AM, SweetPea said:

Sailing Royal Star Class, it took me a bit to figure out that I don’t need to reserve anything other than shorex (and spa appointments, but I avoid spa appointments on the ship like the plague.)  I’m just supposed to wait for the Genie to contact us directly, and we can tell this magical person what we want, and it will all magically be handled.

I feel like I have to plan EVERYTHING, which to me is part of the fun. But this is part of being a Star, and I must get used to it (I say as I adjust my tiara.)

On 4/28/2019 at 9:24 AM, SweetPea said:

Ok folks. The internet started petering out not long after sail away and was still down when we went to the 6:30 show. I didn't wind up trying again till this morning. 

This was the drink we tried. It smelled like Cotton Candy and looked like it. It tasted pretty much like it too. 20190427_154502.thumb.jpg.d4d106b8615a808f6f0b9c5c783debe2.jpg

I've been wondering this. The Deluxe Beverage Package limits a guest to $12 drinks and what you ordered was $13. Did you have to pay the difference in prices? The FAQ tells me that Stars get the "Ultimate Beverage Package" (see screenshot). I can't seem to find the difference between the two. Any insight?

delete.png

I guess we were just lucky but I don’t recall getting charged the overage for a drink over the max when we were SC.  One notable exception was when we went into Vintages on Anthem and ordered a Caymus (each). When they brought the bill for $17 EACH I disputed it saying that we had the drink package only to be SUPER embarrassed to be informed that the $17 was the OVERAGE price meaning that the wine was $30 a glass.  I sheepishly slinked away and haven’t been in a Vintages since.  ??. I obviously have no appreciation for fine wine. It tasted just like any $13 wine I have ever had before.

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I guess we were just lucky but I don’t recall getting charged the overage for a drink over the max when we were SC.  

I never ordered anything that would have had an overage..I think @CGTLH did the espresso martini at Jamie's on Anthem and the martini at 150CP on Symphony..not 100% sure if he got charged the extra on them, though.

Never did star class, but the staff in 150CP treated us like we were. At the suggestion of @Lovetocruise2002 I ordered the garden martini (and glad I did). We had just the refreshment package, but the when the meal was over, server said "well you do have "a" package so no charge for the drink". Like I said in my blog, I wish they'd open a 150CP on land near us.

• 7 months later...

Well what a great blog this was and great questions as well.  God bless whoever thunked up this site.....

We were Star Class on Ovation this year and fell in absolute love.  We are staring down a possible trip on NCL's Bliss in a 2 BR Family Suite in the Haven.

I've read that NCL nickels and dimes you to death.  A $5 uptick on a shrimp cocktail?  Please.  I also believe that anything consumed in the Haven suite beyond Embarkation day is charged to the room, does anyone know if that's the case?  In star class, it was a never-ending beer, soda and water delivery......for "free".  

Are specialty restaurant's included on the Haven? For free?  Do you go to the front of the line for things like water slides and race cars?

Just trying to figure out apples to apples here.....

Thanks,

Bish

Hi Bish. We are just off the Bliss in a 2BR 12/13. You'll find it very different from SC. 

Yes, NCL does nickel and dime you, no doubt. Example, we are Platinum Plus and as such get a meal voucher for dinner at Cagney's with a bottle of wine. The voucher covers entrees up to 35$. My lamb was 37$ and so they charged me 2.40$ (2$ +20% grat). No lie. 

For the drink package that's included in Free at Sea, expect to pay a grat of 19.80$ pp/pd for the first 2 adults. Others in your cabin get no Free at Sea. That drink package covers drinks up to 15$ and you will be charged the overage plus 20% grat. It does not include cans of soda or bottled water. Beers? Tip at the beginning in the Haven bar. Hubby always got 4-5 unopened beers to take back to the room. No room service drinks or mini bar items are included. However, you can tell your butler to leave you pitchers of ice water, ice tea, and lemonade, and there is a gourmet coffee maker in the cabin. 

Race track is 15$ a go, Haven or not. I believe  laser tag is 10$. The concierge can reserve these activities for you. There is no priority on the water slides. 

You can include a specialty dining package as part of your Free at Sea which again, you will pay the gratuity on. The number of meals will depend on the length of your cruise (e.g., 3 meals on a 7 night cruise, 5 on an 11 night). The Haven restaurant has a great dinner menu and all of those items are complimentary and no reservations are required.

Despite having a dining package, some items in Ocean Blue carry an additional (riduculous) supplement. We both ate awesome meals there though without eating anything that had an additional surcharge. 

Also, room service is free 24/7. Just call the butler. Your day time butler will hand off his phone to the night butler around 10p or so. 

If i didn't cover anything, let me know! 

And oh, i will say that these things are mitigated by the Haven area itself. We love the private bar, restaurant, courtyard, and sundeck. It's a small ship within a ship concept. We rarely leave the Haven during the day. On our longer cruises, we always make friends with others. It's a very social place, if you want it to be. I do miss the Haven concept on SC. Haven is reserved only for Haven guests. No amount of status gets you into the Haven if you're not in a Haven room. (And trust me on this, there are self identified Haven Police on every cruise... If you flash a card that's not Haven colored.. Look out!) 

13 hours ago, DublinFC said:

Just wondering if you noticed if Music Hall was open during the day so people could play pool and hang out?

On both of my Anthem sailings, the Music Hall was open all day whether there was a performance going on or not. Pool tables and such are located on the upper floor of the hall only, and are usable at any time. Just be aware they aren't self-leveling, so any ship motion will translate into balls moving around in sometimes unexpected or unpredictable ways.

Lower level of the hall is used for Bingo, karaoke, and other activities during the day. Bars are present on both floors so you can easily get a drink no matter where you choose to sit and relax.

2 hours ago, JLMoran said:

On both of my Anthem sailings, the Music Hall was open all day whether there was a performance going on or not. Pool tables and such are located on the upper floor of the hall only, and are usable at any time. Just be aware they aren't self-leveling, so any ship motion will translate into balls moving around in sometimes unexpected or unpredictable ways.

Lower level of the hall is used for Bingo, karaoke, and other activities during the day. Bars are present on both floors so you can easily get a drink no matter where you choose to sit and relax.

The non-self leveling tables might actually help with my billiards skills hahaha!  Good information.  Thank you for sharing.

• 1 year later...