Keepin' It (Star) Classy: Anthem Edition

SweetPea

6 hours ago, SweetPea said:

I'm realizing from my past posts that I might be sounding negative. I don't mean to. We are having a super fantastic time! Thus far, Royal has proven itself a viable alternative to us, whereas before we'd only consider the Haven. 

I feel I'm more prepared for the lighting and bathroom amenity situation for next cruise. That would be my absolutely only complaint. And if that's the only thing I have to complain about... 

I don't think  you sound negative at all.  I think it's natural to compare something familiar with something new.  And you're pointing out things that someone else may not have thought to point out that will help others prepare.  Plus I'm just laughing my *ss off!

These & $#) lights are driving me batty. Note to self: buy a sleep mask for next cruise. I think Brooke Shields recommended one once. One that is nice and big and doubles as a wrinkle relaxer. Or soother or something. Check back episodes of People or US Weekly. Maybe even Good Housekeeping. Or maybe stop trying to remember at 4 frigging 55 am and just Google it later. 

On 4/28/2019 at 11:45 PM, SweetPea said:

Today we just went to the suite sundeck. Our balcony was getting no sun

I think you are missing the point of traveling in star class , one phone call to Derick and the Captain would have aligned the ship to resolve this issue, after all it was sunny somewhere so why not over your balcony ?  

51 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I think you are missing the point of traveling in star class , one phone call to Derick and the Captain would have aligned the ship to resolve this issue, after all it was sunny somewhere so why not over your balcony ?  

lol - hey Derick, tell the Captain to cruise backwards so we can get the sun on our balcony

I gave in to my nightlight-induced insomnia about 5 minutes after that post and took a cocktail of Benadryl and CBD oil to knock me out. It worked, but all of a sudden Jane Fonda was our roommate downstairs, and she's critiquing my manicure and wanting to redo it. And I'm trying to tell her I don't do regular manicures; I do dips. And she was looking at me like I had 7 heads and all I wanted to do was come here and complain that Jane Fonda is not the boss of me. 

So again, I reiterate, if you're sleep sensitive to lights, bring a sleep mask. 

They are doing a crew drill this morning. So I'm awake, but not up yet... 

Here are our cute towel animals from last night. 

20190429_210438.thumb.jpg.4892ea90155928d197aa7c361a361567.jpg

On 4/28/2019 at 8:13 PM, SweetPea said:

Update : You cannot turn off the stair lights because it's a safety feature. We asked Derick. He recommended putting beach towels in from off the lights. It's honestly too much of a nightlight for us.

Interesting, in our Star Class room on Allure it had the 2/3 steps up into the bathroom and we had no kind of nightlight at all, I was afraid my drunk husband was going to kill himself so the genie actually bought us a small light we could use.

If you decide to do the Rum tour, they sell their rums at the end. You get an order form, and they'll deliver it right to the ship if you're there overnight. So no handing over and checking in your bottles. 

I'll be honest. Rum is not exactly my favorite, but it's such a fun thing to do with our friends. Don't let it be said I'm not a team player. We did get 2 bottles of the 151-Proof. If you're driving, this an option for you. If you're flying, you'll want the 140-proof instead. 

20190429_191250.thumb.jpg.078cda09266d397023f5f8481f293998.jpg

Has anyone seen Chicago Fire? Kelly Severide was our host. 

20190429_200509.thumb.jpg.0868ed1b75aef66c758f3f6293cdfc1e.jpg

Edited by SweetPea
151-proof. Not 15-proof. Why would anyone bother with 15 proof?!

5 hours ago, SweetPea said:

These & $#) lights are driving me batty. Note to self: buy a sleep mask for next cruise. I think Brooke Shields recommended one once. One that is nice and big and doubles as a wrinkle relaxer. Or soother or something. Check back episodes of People or US Weekly. Maybe even Good Housekeeping. Or maybe stop trying to remember at 4 frigging 55 am and just Google it later. 

Those lights would drive me nuts as well. I’d start asking for magnetic clips and bed sheets and make a curtain to keep the light out. Maybe you just stumbled on a new room type, Star Class interior ?

17 hours ago, SweetPea said:

One more heads up for my Havenites: boy, do I miss the dressing table. There is nothing of the sort in this room. No really well lit place to do your makeup

@Lovetocruise2002 and others can correct me if I'm wrong, but on the O class Star Loft Suite (Allure), there was a dressing/make up table next to each floors bathroom that had very good lighting.

On Allure there were just very small lights on every other step, but my wife and I both always bring sleep mask, so they were not an issue.

1 minute ago, tiny260 said:

@Lovetocruise2002 and others can correct me if I'm wrong, but on the O class Star Loft Suite (Allure), there was a dressing/make up table next to each floors bathroom that had very good lighting.

On Allure there were just very small lights on every other step, but my wife and I both always bring sleep mask, so they were not an issue.

Thanks, good to know. I miss it here!

This is where I've been doing my hair, but note that you have to wiggle the plug in. That space was not designed for anything other than a standard 2-prong plug. Any plug with a reset button is not ideal. And no matter the light setting, those strips in the mirror do not light. I've been doing my make up in the bathroom. 

Also note that this is with our curtains open, during the day. At sunset is the issue. 

20190430_112335.thumb.jpg.e5b6cd7a319b185a742034e4c073e9f4.jpg

5 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

This is where I've been doing my hair, but note that you have to wiggle the plug in. That space was not designed for anything other than a standard 2-prong plug. Any plug with a reset button is not ideal. And no matter the light setting, those strips in the mirror do not light. I've been doing my make up in the bathroom. 

Also note that this is with our curtains open, during the day. At sunset is the issue. 

20190430_112335.thumb.jpg.e5b6cd7a319b185a742034e4c073e9f4.jpg

Those strips should definitely light up. This was taken in 10724 back 2017

20171011214320-89fa88b5-me.jpg

We are loving The Solarium. Of course we are. Hardly anyone is here today. Because most people are responsible vacation goers and are taking advantage of our last few hours in port with beautiful weather.

Us 2 idiots? Packed a beach bag and when every friendly crew member we passed asked if we were going to Horseshoe Beach, we hung our heads in shame and said, no. Just the Solarium.... 

20190430_123140.thumb.jpg.bce68184583eff46a5069e8d7f1de92a.jpg20190430_123153.thumb.jpg.e3aae5ca8ce9330bea7ef8f6cef19a70.jpg20190430_123159.thumb.jpg.f0f986e32b167a5cf05dd68a3c4a160d.jpg

Our room steward's very efficient and kind. Derick cracks us up. He actually did recon on tonight's comedian and decided that was something we should see. We are communicating through email, which is working well. Or we are free to call. 

I also want to give a shout out to Brass and Brock Pub staff, in particular Zuzu and SuzyQ. They wave to us every time we arrive, have our drinks ready and automatically give us bottles of water. If we're standing at the bar, they always find us seats. 

Batman is making me watch the video of me on the bumper cars he took, avoiding everyone. Apparently, there is no politeness in bumper cars. Heard on the video: me telling Batman he could've done it [with his bad back] and Batman yelling back THAT'S BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT HITTING ANYONE!! 

1 hour ago, tiny260 said:

Yes. Star Loft had a great vanity/dressing area both upstairs and downstairs. Completely well lit.

For my Havenites: Paper straws are plentiful and given freely, even without request. Straws are a HUGE issue on Norwegian, so I wanted to throw that out there.

I still bring my own straws. I'm not a fan of paper. Mine are biodegradable, made from cornstarch. They hold up much better and don't melt. And you can't taste them, if you know what I mean. I also use stainless steel ones if I use my Yeti. 

1 hour ago, SweetPea said:

For my Havenites: Paper straws are plentiful and given freely, even without request. Straws are a HUGE issue on Norwegian, so I wanted to throw that out there.

I still bring my own straws. I'm not a fan of paper. Mine are biodegradable, made from cornstarch. They hold up much better and don't melt. And you can't taste them, if you know what I mean. I also use stainless steel ones if I use my Yeti. 

We bought the family Metal foldable straws for Hockey games and love them. They even come with a little cleaner. Seems like they’ll be a mainstay. 

I hate paper straws with the fire of five suns. In an average meal I’ll go through two or three because they’re always breaking. 

I really love the fruit plate everyday though. Yum. He also sends cheese and crackers with walnuts and grapes. But I skipped breakfast and lunch, so I'm about half way through that by now. 

Here is the sad story of what's left.... 

20190430_171124.thumb.jpg.f3d4867d8e438682aaa8645377296031.jpgNothing better than champagne, fruit, and cheese on your awesome amazing balcony. 

6 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

I was this many days old when I discovered I do not care for dragon fruit. 

20190430_170603.thumb.jpg.007d16a3d5eeba8143bba42094c898d3.jpg

I'm continually rediscovering that I don't like papaya. It's not something you come across much here in Blighty and always looks so delicious on the breakfast buffet. But it tastes like there's no way you should ingest it ?

33 minutes ago, hayley_bopp said:

I'm continually rediscovering that I don't like papaya. It's not something you come across much here in Blighty and always looks so delicious on the breakfast buffet. But it tastes like there's no way you should ingest it ?

Totally with you in the papaya! 

25 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I did the same thing !

We need to plan a ride together. My trading spouses partner bailed because he had an allergic reaction to something from the Honest Company, of all things. I gave him some Benadryl and he was too tired. Or I'm simply too much for him and he's too kind to say. 

12 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

+1 for this !  Mango, too.

Yes, Mango is only good in meltdowns! 

Last night we saw Clint Holmes. For some reason we had it in our heads that he was a comedian. He's not. More like a Vegas Act. His show was not well attended, and that's a shame. He's very good and charismatic. His one hit was titled something I don't remember, but had the lyrics of "My name is Michael. I have a nickel."

He also wrote a song called 1944, about the war and his parents waiting through it, living their life, and then his dad dying before his mom, leaving her alone, but still together through song. 

I literally cried right there in the theater. He could've been singing about any of my grandparents and I was feeling nostalgic for all of them. 

Ever the gentleman, Batman offered me his sleeve... 

There wasn't much of a crowd when we went outside the theater at the table they had set up to sell his songs. 

We circled back because the closest bathroom was behind the tables and no one was there. While I waited for Batman to use the restroom, I took the opportunity to tell Clint his song made me cry. We hugged it out and then I felt dumb not buying the song that brought me to tears. I mean, we were having a moment. 

I bought a 20$ CD single.

I don't even have anything to play it on. He signed it to my parents. I don't even think they have anything to play it on. 

Batman pointed out we should've checked iTunes as it's probably there for 0.99$.

The crew member they had charging your room for my Beta purchase looked at me funny when I asked him to send it to my room. I don't think he wanted to, but I didn't really feel like carrying it to dinner. If it never comes back home. That's OK. It seemed like a good idea at the time...