Keepin' It (Star) Classy: Anthem Edition

SweetPea

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Which bar did this come from? Or was it from the star class bar cart?

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

In the loft on HM, there was a switch to turn off the stair lights.

We were in 270. ? And we're still looking for that switch! 

1 hour ago, CGTLH said:

Think 270 bar had those... Star class bar cart wouldn't have had any prices.

Winner, winner! 

Today we just went to the suite sundeck. Our balcony was getting no sun. I'll need to take some pics, but it's really nothing to write home about. It has comfy chairs and a great view of the pool. But we've been spoiled by the Haven. There were no bathrooms on the sundeck and no drink service that we saw. 

Actual conversation on our aft balcony :

Are you seriously drinking champagne and eating grapes right now? 

Yes. Life is very hard for me. 

Which one is that? 

The Moet. Want to try it? 

Yes....... Tastes like a Brut. 

Did you say that because that's the only kind of champagne you know? 

Yes. I wanted to sound smart. 

What did you think of it? 

It was smooth. I mean, not as smooth as my Coors Lite. BTW, do you remember singing along to the guitar player last night?

No. 

And I'd like to offer a blanket apology to anyone in the Pub with us. Sorry. 

For my Havenites: in addition to cotton balls and Qtips, Royal also does not supply shower poufs or caps. Plan accordingly. 

Also, I will say Haven towels kick Star Class butt. These are smaller and scratchy. 

And Haven water pressure is way betterer too. 

I give my Star Class shower experience a solid B-. 

5 hours ago, Karannk said:

Seems rather intentional that the premium cocktails are $13. Just enough to not be included in the drink package, right? With all the rest included, I’d have a hard time choosing to pay extra. But they do make it so darn tempting, don’t they? 

BTW, meant to say that our folio is 0$.

The Chops waiter said, oh you're Star Class. Perrier or Evian? And he left the bottle of Malbec at our table. 

I’m really enjoying your blog Sweet Pea! My husband and I started cruising on Royal but switched many years ago to NCL/Haven and loved it but wanted to try Royal again.  We cruised Royal’s Star Class for the first time earlier this year.  We had a bad genie experience so I’m watching to see what a Haven/Star Class comparison is for someone with a good genie experience.  I appreciate your comments regarding pluses and minuses vs NCL/Haven.  Enjoy the rest of your cruise!!  

2 hours ago, Spartan4Ever said:

I’m really enjoying your blog Sweet Pea! My husband and I started cruising on Royal but switched many years ago to NCL/Haven and loved it but wanted to try Royal again.  We cruised Royal’s Star Class for the first time earlier this year.  We had a bad genie experience so I’m watching to see what a Haven/Star Class comparison is for someone with a good genie experience.  I appreciate your comments regarding pluses and minuses vs NCL/Haven.  Enjoy the rest of your cruise!!  

Honestly, folks cannot do enough for us. The maitre d' of CK said whatever we wanted, to let him know. 

FYI, the Genies are Derick, Shane, and Wendy. 

I would sail Star Class again if the price is right.  Especially since NCL is ticking me off... a 5$ upcharge for shrimp cocktail even with the dining package? C'mon! 

2 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

Honestly, folks cannot do enough for us. The maitre d' of CK said whatever we wanted, to let him know. 

FYI, the Genies are Derick, Shane, and Wendy. 

I would sail Star Class again if the price is right.  Especially since NCL is ticking me off... a 5$ upcharge for shrimp cocktail even with the dining package? C'mon! 

I agree with you - if the price is right I would also sail Star Class.  There were things I liked from each option (Haven vs Star Class), I just personally didn't feel the Star Class on Royal was head and shoulders above the Haven experience which was what I was expecting from some of the reviews I read.  Most people treated us great as well.  And you're right,  I've read nothing but great things about Derick so you likely hit the jackpot there! :11_blush::91_thumbsup:  

Enjoy that shrimp!!!!  :15_yum:

On 4/28/2019 at 1:18 PM, Karannk said:

Seems rather intentional that the premium cocktails are $13. Just enough to not be included in the drink package, right? With all the rest included, I’d have a hard time choosing to pay extra. But they do make it so darn tempting, don’t they?

Oops. Duplicate. #DayDrinkingTurnedNightDrinking

13 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

BTW, Derick only gives WOW bands by request because the bands don't carry any special recognition. We asked for them because Batman holds my card. And I want to open the cabin door by my band ... 

Same experience I had on Anthem, WOW band by request only. Yet on Symphony they were waiting in the room.

It would be a nice down the road thing for a special Star Class WOW band.

51 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

Curious...who is the head waiter (maitre d’) in CK right now? When we sailed Anthem last year it was a guy by the name of Bojan. He was amazing! Wondering if he is still there?

And I cannot wait to try that cotton candy drink from 270 ??

We, and by we I mean me because Batman can sleep through anything, are having an issue with lighting. As mentioned, you can not turn off the stair lighting. But you also cannot turn on the upstairs bathroom lights without turning on a light outside the bathroom. 

20190428_042141.thumb.jpg.bb9058cedd724f3e73a9ae324777f2d5.jpg

That's a light that's behind the bed. 

Between the stair lights and this light, it is way too nightlighty upstairs for someone who usually sleeps with room darkening shades. 

About the lighting...did you ask your stateroom attendant? 

I remember in the loft on HM, there was a master switch upstairs and downstairs.  It wasn't a light switch.  To turn off all the lights completely, you had to have the master switch set at zero.  It was actually the first thing he told us and he said that many people make that common mistake and then the lights stay on.  Maybe ask again, but not Derrick, ask your room attendant.

On 4/29/2019 at 9:43 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

Mattress d’. Lol. What a great autocorrect !

Ha! I knew what you meant! 

On 4/29/2019 at 9:40 AM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I find it so interesting that he writes the agenda for each day by hand.

We got him personalized pens and stationery. Batman thinks we should give it to him now, but I think that's weird. It should come at the end with his tip. Thoughts? 

We have become friendly with another Star Class couple. Batman is not wanting to do the bumper cars because he has a bad back to start with. The wife of the other couple has done it once and doesn't feel the need to do it again. So we're doing an episode of Trading Spouses: Bumper Car Edition. :9_innocent:

After that, this will be our 3rd time doing the Gosling's Rum tour. We have a group of friends who get together and do rum tastings with bottles from our travels. Bottles that are hard to get at home. My sole reason for scheduling this is to buy their 150-proof rum, which may or may not be legal in the States. I think they adjust their label to make it so.... 

For my Havenites, there is no discount for shorex in Star Class. We did this rum cruise on the Escape last year and paid 68$. On Royal, we paid 110$.

One more heads up for my Havenites: boy, do I miss the dressing table. There is nothing of the sort in this room. No really well lit place to do your makeup and hair. No magnifying mirror. And if you're driving, I encourage you to bring your own hairdryer. There are no styling tools for the dryer like in the Haven, but it's worse than that. The dryer is a cheap POS where you have to hold down the button for it to blow. My hand is wicked cramped. 

I apologize for the Haven comparisons, but this is something I'd have loved to have figured out ahead of time. I know a few people following along who are first time SC after being loyal to the Haven, so I felt it worth a mention. 

What's definitely better on Royal SC than Haven? We sent out pretty much our whole suitcase for pressing on the first day. You simply get to throw it on your couch, and your steward will inventory it for you and send it out. It's awesome. We got our clothes back yesterday. 

What's also better in SC? Our folio is still 0$.

I'm realizing from my past posts that I might be sounding negative. I don't mean to. We are having a super fantastic time! Thus far, Royal has proven itself a viable alternative to us, whereas before we'd only consider the Haven. 

I feel I'm more prepared for the lighting and bathroom amenity situation for next cruise. That would be my absolutely only complaint. And if that's the only thing I have to complain about... 

7 hours ago, SweetPea said:

We got him personalized pens and stationery. Batman thinks we should give it to him now, but I think that's weird. It should come at the end with his tip. Thoughts? 

I would save it for the end.

6 hours ago, SweetPea said:

Here is the suite sundeck, with the sunflowers. Not much to do up there besides get some sun. 

I've always found the suite sundeck on Q class to be lacking a bit compared to O class.  This is what I tell myself to feel better about our JS on the upcoming Anthem GC. ?

3 hours ago, SweetPea said:

How sweet. Room service apology

Better eat those macaroons.  They go moldy.  True story.

8 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

I'm realizing from my past posts that I might be sounding negative

Not at all.  I am loving this blog!

Thanks! I agree we should wait till the end to give our gift. 

I also asked Jesus, our stateroom attendant, about the lights. They can turn them off, but I need to sign a waiver as they are considered emergency lighting on Anthem apparently. 

I did the bumper cars. Batman and Derick gave me a good ribbing as I tended to avoid everyone. Bumping into people on purpose just seemed impolite.