ATV Tour in Costa Maya with Beach Break

Lauren123

Does anyone know if you can go off and do what you want when you get to the beach, or do you have to stay there until it’s time to go back to the ship? I’ve read some reviews that the beach is not that great and  we’d really like to find another beach or do some shopping if we don’t like it.

When we went two years ago they take you to the resort and drop you off and there isn't anything around to wander off and explore.   I'm glad I always have blow up rafts(in packages)and snorkel/mask in my beach bag so it gave us something to do.  We loved the ATV just not the beach break.  

@WAAAYTOOO Ooops I didn't elaborate, sorry...I had meant to ask if we can head back to the ship once we got to the "beach break" portion of the excursion. I don't think the tour guides would be very happy with me if I decided to take a "self-guided tour" on their equipment lol! I did some more research on TripAdvisor and I do believe we are able to leave once we get to the beach if we want. We will definitely give it a chance, I just don't like the idea of being "trapped" if I'm not having fun. ?

I imagine that once you are off the ATV's for good then you can do anything you want. I recall our ATV excursion at either St. Thomas or St. Maarten (I got those 2 ports mixed up the whole time we were on that cruise !!) that the beach break was right in the middle of the excursion.  We rode our bikes to the beach, swam or ate (or whatever we wanted to do) and then got back on our bikes and rode back to the shop.  I believe it was in St. Maarten.  I think the beach we went to was Orient Beach b/c I seem to recall that some of our friends went to the "nude" side. I, however, lingered at the cantina.  I had no interest in seeing something that I would never be able to un-see (re: my male friends, I mean).

2 hours ago, Lauren123 said:

@Colbysmom Thanks for the response! I'm sure it will be fine and at least I'll be prepared. But if we wanted to go back to the ship early are we allowed to leave on our own? 

It is not close to the port but there was a bus leaving the beach as we arrived so they gave us an option to leave early but we didn't 

I was disappointed in Costa Maya. It was a little piece of land surrounded by jungle. The buildings looked run down and abandoned. It appeared to be someone's dream of a Mexican cruise destination that fell apart and was never completed. I seem to remember someone saying there was small town not to far away for shopping if you wanted to take a taxi there. We just stayed on the ship.