Cigars and Connoisseur Club

HAK1906

On my very first Royal cruise (Legend), the Viking Crown Lounge was THE cigar bar and it was packed - half partaking and half just hanging out. I loved it! My wife, who does not smoke cigars, loved it too! I don't smoke cigars as much these days, but I like to do so 3-4 times a year in the right venue, and a cruise is the right venue. However, Royal has made a sea change (pun intended) in its cigar smoking policy, relegating cigar smokers to tiny rooms where no one goes. Cigar smoking is, for many of us, a social thing as well as an indulgent thing (like the Native American or Indian smoking rituals). By hiding us away, they've taken much of the enjoyment out of the experience. For instance, on the Oasis two years ago, the cigar smoking area was not just on the pool deck - it was in a tiny area that one had to find magically by climbing a hidden flight of stairs, and it was secluded from everything and everyone else. At least on the Freedom (a month ago), cigar smoking was allowed around the main pool area (as well as the Connoisseur Club). But I don't want to sit in a section full of cigarette smokers while I'm enjoying my cigar. Cigarettes take away from the refined flavors and scents of cigars. Cigarettes are for the proletariat. I am The Bourgeoisie! I am Royalty! ;) Hence why I cruise on Royal. :lol:

Long story short, I'm disappointed with the direction Royal took on this. Cruises, by their nature, are indulgent. Relegating cigar smoking is akin to relegating the drinking of alcohol, but I don't see that happening. Give us back a front and center night club!!!!

I don't think the Oasis class ships even have a Connoisseur Club, do they ? Not sure about Quantum. I think it's a shame. I don't smoke anymore (never smoke cigars) but I agree with Scott. Cigar smoking is the kind of luxury you want to be able to enjoy on a cruise...especially since you can get the really GOOD cigars and smoke them outside of the US.

I don't think the Oasis class ships even have a Connoisseur Club, do they ? Not sure about Quantum. I think it's a shame. I don't smoke anymore (never smoke cigars) but I agree with Scott. Cigar smoking is the kind of luxury you want to be able to enjoy on a cruise...especially since you can get the really GOOD cigars and smoke them outside of the US.

No, they do not! :( :angry:

From what I have read the Freedom and Voyager class ships all have Connoisseur Clubs.  Additionally other cruise lines have Cigar Bars as well.  I agree with the previous posts, a cruise should give someone the ability to indulge and have a fine cigar coupled with a Single Malt Scotch.

From what I have read the Freedom and Voyager class ships all have Connoisseur Clubs. Additionally other cruise lines have Cigar Bars as well. I agree with the previous posts, a cruise should give someone the ability to indulge and have a fine cigar coupled with a Single Malt Scotch.

You are correct that other lines have cigar clubs. However, the trend seems to be that they're being replaced with venues that have more revenue potential because of lack of use.

While on a Freedom or Voyager class, keep an eye out in the compass for the "Cigars under the Stars" night.  Last March while on the Adventure I attended the event, up at the Sky Bar above the main pool area along with a half dozen other cigar enthusiasts.  For $20 the Connoisseur Club Manager paired everyone's individual preference in cigars with a proper cognac or brandy for their choice of sticks. I met some great people and it was a fun time.  Check it out next time you are on a Freedom or Voyager class cruise.  The event is usually held around 10 pm and if I remember correctly it was about mid week.

While on a Freedom or Voyager class, keep an eye out in the compass for the "Cigars under the Stars" night.  Last March while on the Adventure I attended the event, up at the Sky Bar above the main pool area along with a half dozen other cigar enthusiasts.  For $20 the Connoisseur Club Manager paired everyone's individual preference in cigars with a proper cognac or brandy for their choice of sticks. I met some great people and it was a fun time.  Check it out next time you are on a Freedom or Voyager class cruise.  The event is usually held around 10 pm and if I remember correctly it was about mid week.

Sounds like a great event!

We are doing a b2b on the Liberty beginning the Sunday after Thanksgiving, so I will check out how the event is done on a Freedom Class ship.  I sure hope it wasn't an exclusive event for the Adventure.........stay tuned!!

It's not just an Adventure thing. I remember seeing that on the Freedom cruise compass. I did not have time to attend, so I cannot speak to the quality of the event.

Check out the days and times here: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compasses/freedom-of-the-seas/sun-2015-10-18-0000

• 2 weeks later...

I was just on Liberty (Freedom Class) and did not see the Cigars under the Stars event in the cruise compass. If so I would have been there!  I think that's a great idea and hope they do it on more ships.  Liberty does have a Connoisseur Club but unfortunately when I stopped in to check it out there were both cigar and cigarette smokers in there.  I agree that cigarettes should be banned from a cigar venue.

On Serenade several years ago one of the night clubs on the top deck (where many Concierge Lounges are now) was designated for cigar smokers.  My son and I lit up in there and enjoyed some live music and a drink with our cigar. The waiter knew cigars and offered to clip and light them for us.  That was a nice time and I agree with others that it would be nice to have a venue on the ships that allows cigars as a social event with live music and drinks instead of just a room that you can smoke in.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back last Sunday from our b2b on the Liberty.  Disappointedly,  as Steve mentioned above, there was no "Cigars under the Stars" event held the entire two weeks.  However, I did spend some time in the Connoisseur Club (Deck 5 forward) and met some great people and shared discussions on our favorite smokes.  I have found that you can meet some very interesting people during the time it takes to enjoy a good after dinner drink and fine cigar.  There is a small bar in there as well, so you can also pair with a scotch or bourbon and can even buy a cigar if you didn't bring your own. On occasion there was a cigarette smoker but I really didn't find it a distraction as they were in and out quickly.  I spoke with the Club Concierge about a "Cigars under the Stars" event and he said that he had never held one during his time there, so I guess it probably has something to do with each individual Concierge.  We will be back on the Adventure for a couple of weeks in February, so I will provide another update when we get back.  I hope they still hold the event as there is something special to me about sitting under the stars on a beautiful night with a good cigar.  

• 11 months later...

Just realized I didn't post once back from Independence.....it did have one. Wasn't very busy anytime I was there. And nothing under the stars events that I saw listed anywhere.

Had some higher end drinks there as well...I didn't inquire as they were not covered in my drink package from what I could tell...haha

I am heading out on Navigator in January so hoping theirs is still open. It was a nice place to go and relax for a bit.

I think getting rid of the Connoisseur lounge on many of the ships is/was a mistake. Of course, they didn't ask my opinion, either.  :)

As a former smoker, I think the smokers - and particularly the cigar smokers - should have a nice, comfortable non-judgmental place to go and have a smoke.  Expensive liquor goes with expensive cigars and I while I no longer smoke and I am not much of a drinker, I actually enjoy the smell of a good cigar and a good Scotch together. I know...weird thing for a girl [term used loosely] to say.  It's kind of like the smell of sweetfeed and leather in a barn, if anyone can appreciate that analogy (horse people only, I guess).

I'm sure it was a revenue decision, as all such things are....but it's a damn shame, IMO.  It is/was one of the classier places on the ship - perhaps underutilized, which may have sealed its fate...but still a shame.  Smoker haters didn't have to go there if they didn't want to.  Maybe you cigar smokers should have spent a little more on the expensive liquor and maybe they would have saved it.  Just kidding !

So I will be on the Allure in Jan. Wondering where I will be able to smoke a cigar onboard?

I agree with you WAAAYTOOO. Cigars go perfectly with an Adult beverage, so pushing cigar smokers to some random corner of the pool deck not near a bar is a loss of revenue. Cigar smokers tend to drink more expensive drinks, Single Malts, congacs , not to mention buying a cigar onboard. I loved the Connoisseur club on the Voyager and half the people there weren't even smoking. Just a different atmosphere. 

We were just on the Allure about a month ago so, unfortunately, be prepared to go to the port side of the main pool deck bar.  I guess they realized that a bar close by is a money maker with cigar smokers!  In the ship compass they announce a "Cigars under the Stars" there mostly every night (around 8pm till late) but it isn't an organized event as I previously enjoyed on the Adventure.  It's just the only place to enjoy a cigar and meet other cigar enthusiast's.  According to the bartender they also have a limited selection of cigars.  I usually bring my own so didn't ask to see what was being offered.  We will be on the Navigator in January and the Freedom in late February so will report on the cigar experiences after getting back.

Hope you have a great cruise on the Allure as she is an amazing ship......just not very accommodating for cigar smokers, especially on the windy foul weather evenings. 

We were on the Allure during the meeting of the three sisters and enjoyed that experience greatly.  The Harmony definitely received a very special welcome home!

I knew that Royal Caribbean International is getting rid of the Connoisseur Club on Adventure of the Seas during the drydock and it will have the Library & Card Room be relocated at where the Connoisseur Club is used to be located.  When the Freedom-class ships (Freedom, Liberty, and Independence of the Seas) get the next drydock in the future, will Royal Caribbean International get rid of the Connoisseur Club?  Please let me know because I have heard that there are not many people using the Connoisseur Club and most indoor places onboard the Royal Caribbean International ships are non-smoking.  If Royal Caribbean International does get rid of the Connoisseur Club on the Freedom-class ships (Freedom, Liberty, and Independence of the Seas) for the next future drydock, I do request the Library & Card Room and also the Royal Caribbean Online to all be relocated at where the Connoisseur Club is used to be located on the Freedom-class ships (Freedom, Liberty, and Independence of the Seas).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 12/9/2016 at 12:59 PM, [email protected] said:

If Royal Caribbean International does get rid of the Connoisseur Club on the Freedom-class ships (Freedom, Liberty, and Independence of the Seas) for the next future drydock, I do request the Library & Card Room and also the Royal Caribbean Online to all be relocated at where the Connoisseur Club is used to be located on the Freedom-class ships (Freedom, Liberty, and Independence of the Seas).

Welcome to the message boards!

This site is an unofficial fan site not affiliated with Royal Caribbean.  Any comments posted here will not be seen by Royal Caribbean.  

Navigator converted this space into the Diamond Club for members of the Crown and Anchor Society who are Diamond or higher.  Mariner used this space for a library.  Both are non-smoking.  

Only time will tell what Royal has in store for similar ships as they get refurbished over the next few years.