The End To Future Cuba Cruises!!

On 5/14/2019 at 3:45 PM, Pooch said:

We sailed her (the Nordic Empress back then) to Bermuda from NYC back in 2002.  Docked at the Naval Yard then moved to Hamilton.  It was a wonderful cruise!

We sailed the Song of America in 1997, docked two nights in Hamilton and one night in St. George's.  It was great! 

On 4/17/2019 at 2:50 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

I wonder if they'd fit under the Duluth Harbor Lift Bridge?  (I'm still pushing for cruises out of Minnesota/Wisconsin).

#agirlcandream #ibelieveinme

Or fit in the St. Lawrence Seaway Locks in Massena, NY?  Quebec City to New Orleans.  That would be cool.

• 3 weeks later...

New OFAC rules have been posted and go into effect June 5, 2019:

Publication of Updated Cuban Assets Control Regulations (CACR) and Frequently Asked Questions.

The Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) is amending the Cuban Assets Control Regulations, 31 C.F.R. part 515 (CACR), to further implement portions of the President’s foreign policy toward Cuba. In accordance with newly announced changes to non-family travel to Cuba, OFAC is amending the CACR to remove the authorization for group people-to-people educational travel. The CACR amendment will be published in the Federal Register on Wednesday June 5, 2019, at which time the changes will take effect. OFAC is also publishing a number of updated Frequently Asked Questions and a Fact Sheet pertaining to this regulatory amendment.

For more information on this specific action, please visit this page.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/OFAC-Enforcement/Pages/20190604.aspx

Effective June 5, 2019, a regulatory amendment to the CACR removes an authorization for people-to-people educational travel that was conducted under the auspices of an organization that is subject to U.S. jurisdiction and that sponsors such exchanges to promote people-to-people contact (group people-to-people educational travel). This amendment also includes a grandfather clause authorizing certain group people-to-people educational travel that previously was authorized where the traveler has already completed at least one travel-related transaction (such as purchasing a flight or reserving accommodation) prior to June 5, 2019.

and...

15. What constitutes “people-to-people travel” and is it generally authorized?

Effective June 5, 2019, there is no general license authorizing people-to-people educational activities in Cuba. The term “people-to-people travel” refers to an authorization, subject to conditions, for persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction to engage in certain educational exchanges in Cuba on an individual basis or under the auspices of an organization that is a person subject to U.S. jurisdiction and sponsors such exchanges to promote people-to-people contact. On November 9, 2017, in accordance with the NSPM, OFAC amended the general license for people-to-people educational activities in Cuba to remove the authorization for individual peopleto-people educational travel. Effective June 5, 2019, in further accordance with the President’s foreign policy toward Cuba announced in April 2019, OFAC removed the authorization for group people-to-people educational travel in § 515.565(b). There is a grandfather provision in § 515.565(b) that authorizes certain group people-to-people educational travel that previously was authorized where the traveler has completed at least one travel-related transaction (such as purchasing a flight or reserving accommodation) prior to June 5, 2019. For a complete description of what this general license authorizes and the restrictions that apply, see 31 CFR § 515.565. The export or reexport to Cuba of items subject to the EAR, including vessels and aircraft used to provide carrier services, requires separate authorization from the Department of Commerce. See 31 CFR § 515.533. For additional information regarding BIS’s regulatory amendments, see BIS’s Cuba webpage. [06-04-2019]

Source:

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/cuba_faqs_new.pdf

This may be a critical aspect going forward.

It's possible that certain excursions that are full day in nature may qualify under this authorization.  I recall full day activities were a component in the past after the 2017 changes as well.  Now they are a requirement.

20. What constitutes “support for the Cuban people” for generally authorized travel and other transactions?

This general license authorizes, subject to conditions, travel-related transactions and other transactions that are intended to provide support for the Cuban people, which include activities of recognized human rights organizations; independent organizations designed to promote a rapid, peaceful transition to democracy; and individuals and non-governmental organizations that promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba. In accordance with the NSPM, OFAC is amending this general license to require that each traveler utilizing this authorization engage in a full-time schedule of activities that enhance contact with the Cuban people, support civil society in Cuba, or promote the Cuban people’s independence from Cuban authorities and that result in meaningful interactions with individuals in Cuba. OFAC is also amending this general license to exclude from the authorization certain direct financial transactions with entities and subentities identified on the State Department’s Cuba Restricted List. The traveler’s schedule of activities must not include free time or recreation in excess of that consistent with a full-time schedule in Cuba. For a complete description of what this general license authorizes and the restrictions that apply, see 31 CFR § 515.574. [11-08-2017]

My guess is Royal replaces the Cuban ports of call with something else. It's too much uncertain political BS to deal with.

Frankly, I wouldn't blame them if they did. But I will feel sorry for those who paid a premium for a Cuban cruise and their ports are replaced with somthing lesser and more common.

:0(

13 minutes ago, bobroo said:

My guess is Royal replaces the Cuban ports of call with something else. It's too much uncertain political BS to deal with.

Frankly, I wouldn't blame them if they did. But I will feel sorry for those who paid a premium for a Cuban cruise and their ports are replaced with somthing lesser and more common.

:0(

The same was said after the 2017 amendments were made.  

They'll have the appropriate people review the changes and make an informed business decision.  

Traveling to Russia on a cruise ship is much simpler if you book a ship excursion.  In that case it's the Russian government who makes it that way.   In the case of Cuba it's the US government that makes it this way.  

Requiring a full day excursion that qualifies is a business opportunity.  Don't like it?  Blame the government, not the cruise line.  

Right now, my concern is does the grandfather clause that is in effect for travelers that have completed a travel related transaction for a flight or an accommodation apply to cruise ship visits? Since we board Majesty in 6 days for a Havana destination...well, we are let's say urgently curious...

It sure looks like future cruise ship visits are kaput based on the State Department Fact Sheet that is a little more plain English, summary wise.

2 minutes ago, Weaselpuppy said:

Right now, my concern is does the grandfather clause that is in effect for travelers that have completed a travel related transaction for a flight or an accommodation apply to cruise ship visits? Since we board Majesty in 6 days for a Havana destination...well, we are let's say urgently curious...

It sure looks like future cruise ship visits are kaput based on the State Department Fact Sheet that is a little more plain English, summary wise.

I would assume it's business as usual for anyone booked prior to June 5, 2019.  

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:45 PM, Baked Alaska said:

So much for Chicken Little and the sky's falling! LOL!!!!

Just fell!...lol

Maybe prices of resorts will go back down now...they had gone up 20-50% in the past year or so...and the Cuban govt was pricing them using USD which made it much more expensive for us Canadians....

Maybe I will make it back there now sometime if prices go back down to reasonable levels...

Be interesting to see what the cruise companies do with all these smaller ships they were sending to Cuba too

28 minutes ago, baltodave said:

My wife and her parents are booked on Majesty OTS to Cuba in November.  They've paid the deposit but still owe the balance.   I wonder if that cruise will still happen.

Wait until Royal responds.  

The conundrum now is having to sail partially full if they can't continue offering Cuba bookings for new guests beyond June 5, 2019.

If they do swap in alternate ports like Nassau/CocoCay it's a short sales cycle to fill ships through the end of the year.  Majesty and Empress competing with Navigator and Mariner to CocoCay is a hard sell and not the metal they want to put into the short Florida market.

Time will tell.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

This may be a critical aspect going forward.

It's possible that certain excursions that are full day in nature may qualify under this authorization.  I recall full day activities were a component in the past after the 2017 changes as well.  Now they are a requirement.

20. What constitutes “support for the Cuban people” for generally authorized travel and other transactions?

This general license authorizes, subject to conditions, travel-related transactions and other transactions that are intended to provide support for the Cuban people, which include activities of recognized human rights organizations; independent organizations designed to promote a rapid, peaceful transition to democracy; and individuals and non-governmental organizations that promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba. In accordance with the NSPM, OFAC is amending this general license to require that each traveler utilizing this authorization engage in a full-time schedule of activities that enhance contact with the Cuban people, support civil society in Cuba, or promote the Cuban people’s independence from Cuban authorities and that result in meaningful interactions with individuals in Cuba. OFAC is also amending this general license to exclude from the authorization certain direct financial transactions with entities and subentities identified on the State Department’s Cuba Restricted List. The traveler’s schedule of activities must not include free time or recreation in excess of that consistent with a full-time schedule in Cuba. For a complete description of what this general license authorizes and the restrictions that apply, see 31 CFR § 515.574. [11-08-2017]

So what I'm in a panic about is what to do excursion wise.  Right now I have two things booked for my June 15 majesty trip.   I originally booked a 5 hour tour through royal Caribbean.  Next I booked a private all day classic cars tour through belver classic cars separate of royal.  I was planning on cancelling the royal one since the all day tour was only 120 more total and we have a private guide and driver.  However I'm concerned if I will be able to even get off the ship and do a private tour.  Very confused about what to even put on the Visa which I fear will be scrutinized even more.  I hope whatever statement royal sends to me will be very clear on what we will be doing (if we are going) and what is going to be ok to do tourwise.  And then I may have to hope the all day cruise line one isn't booked if we have to go through royal or we will miss stuff we had hoped to see.  Jane

1 minute ago, mom2mybugs said:

So what I'm in a panic about is what to do excursion wise.  Right now I have two things booked for my June 15 majesty trip.   I originally booked a 5 hour tour through royal Caribbean.  Next I booked a private all day classic cars tour through belver classic cars separate of royal.  I was planning on cancelling the royal one since the all day tour was only 120 more total and we have a private guide and driver.  However I'm concerned if I will be able to even get off the ship and do a private tour.  Very confused about what to even put on the Visa which I fear will be scrutinized even more.  I hope whatever statement royal sends to me will be very clear on what we will be doing (if we are going) and what is going to be ok to do tourwise.  And then I may have to hope the all day cruise line one isn't booked if we have to go through royal or we will miss stuff we had hoped to see.  Jane

Wait for now.  You have until June 11th to cancel the Royal excursion.  Or keep both knowing you may never get to go back. 

The VISA itself remains unchanged.  The Cuban government who issues the VISA doesn't care what type of excursion you do.   There is an OFAC form that will remain the same in essence due to grandfathering.  Fill it out like you would have if none of this happened.  Royal keeps a copy for 5 years, you need to keep a copy for 5 years.  That hasn't changed.

In essence nothing has changed for you as long as Royal sails to Havana on that cruise.

Just now, twangster said:

Wait for now.  You have until June 11th to cancel the Royal excursion.  Or keep both knowing you may never get to go back. 

The VISA itself remains unchanged.  The Cuban government who issues the VISA doesn't care what type of excursion you do.   There is an OFAC form that will remain the same in essence due to grandfathering.  Fill it out like you would have if none of this happened.  Royal keeps a copy for 5 years, you need to keep a copy for 5 years.  That hasn't changed.

In essence nothing has changed for you as long as Royal sails to Havana on that cruise.

Thanks this helps.  If I can do support for the Cuban people or be fine private and they let me do it, I'm cancelling the royal one.  I'd rather interact with a Cuban guide since I will likely never get back.  But I'd even forgotten I have to cancel by the 11th because they freeze the cruise planner.  Thanks for that reminder!!!! Jane

I'm supposed to sail in about 19 days on the 23rd on Empress.  We planned on checking the "Support for the Cuban People" box on the OFAC  form, and doing a private tour to Trinidad, and a half-day car tour in Havana, with a self-guided walking tour of Havana for the other half of the day. 

Are the changes only affecting "Group People to People" Royal Caribbean sponsored tours?

Just now, AdventureKenandCar said:

Are the changes only affecting "Group People to People" Royal Caribbean sponsored tours?

No.  The changes are agnostic of how you get there or who sells you the tour.  Plane, ferry, ship, swim.  If you are subject to US policy and have not booked prior to June 5, 2019, the new restrictions apply to you.  

Yikes. Sorry to all whose cruises are affected.

To be honest, I think Majesty and Empress are both toast now. I can't really see a market that they would fill and they aren't really the direction that Royal are going in. RCL could make some money by selling them.

3 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Just fell!...lol

Maybe prices of resorts will go back down now...they had gone up 20-50% in the past year or so...and the Cuban govt was pricing them using USD which made it much more expensive for us Canadians....

Maybe I will make it back there now sometime if prices go back down to reasonable levels...

Be interesting to see what the cruise companies do with all these smaller ships they were sending to Cuba too

I think chicken little got hit by the sky which in turn hit the chicken crossing the road. LOL

Email from RC says we will update you tomorrow at 6pm. We are on Majesty for June 10 to KW and Cuba.

I am going to hope that the all day Bucket List Havana tour we booked at $94 a head will be refunded regardless of  Cruise Planner being frozen if we change itineraries to Nassau/Coco, since, well, they aren't Havana...

3 minutes ago, Weaselpuppy said:

Email from RC says we will update you tomorrow at 6pm. We are on Majesty for June 10 to KW and Cuba.

I am going to hope that the all day Bucket List Havana tour we booked at $94 a head will be refunded regardless of  Cruise Planner being frozen if we change itineraries to Nassau/Coco, since, well, they aren't Havana...

I’m sure it will.  Marc on your cruise said it’s showing online and on the app the itinerary is changed but not on the cruise planner.  I’m waiting to see about my June 15.  I’m actually booked on both a royal and an all day private.  Waiting to see whether you will have to do an excursion through the ship if we even go.  Thinking it’s not happening.  Jane

So, I found this on a blog forum for Las Vegas MGM gaming comp app that booked the current June 5 Cuba cruise on Majesty with MyVegas comp points. FYI I had $250 in OBC through this Vegas comp game app as well, $150 I cashed in comps for and an extra $100 they gave me for lying to me about their policies that I kept giving them a Royal load of @#^$ about ...

TL;DR is re-route to Costa Maya, refund of booked Cuba excursions to OBC and 50% stateroom cost refund as OBC, unused OBC refunded to your CCFB_IMG_1559704607575.thumb.jpg.e805887731f317353fd38f0f0459aea9.jpg

Here is the latest: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/does-the-june-4-statement-impact-cruises-to-cuba

Cuba Update - June 5, 2019 at 2:30 pm EST

Effective immediately, the U.S. government has implemented new regulations that prohibits travel from the U.S. to Cuba by cruise ship.  This change requires us to immediately replace all Cuban ports.  For all 2019 sailings on both Majesty of the Seas and Empress of the Seas, we have secured alternative ports and we are in the process of communicating the new itineraries to our guests and travel partners.  For these guests, they will have the option of remaining on their sailing with the new itinerary and receiving a 50% refund or they may cancel their cruise and receive a full refund.

For 2020 sailings on both Majesty and Empress of the Seas, we are working to secure alternative itineraries and expect to be able to communicate to our guests and travel partners within the next week.

We are sorry for this unexpected and sudden change to our guests’ upcoming vacations and appreciate their understanding.