Port or Starboard? Freedom- ABCs

34 minutes ago, chill6x6 said:

Was port or starboard the best?

In my opinion, it doesn't matter. The ship does not always dock in the same position every time it visits a port.  And it's not like you spend that much time in the room with all the activities onboard or onshore.

Concur with @Matt.

Navigator docked on the port side at a couple of ABC islands on two different cruises but that is hardly scientific and is a very small sample size.  Even if it is accurate, the view off my balcony in port is somewhat meaningless because I spend little time on it in port and sometimes prefer more privacy on the side away from the dock.  You can always see all sides from deck 12.

1 hour ago, chill6x6 said:

Hey!  Quick question..

Looking at Freedom OTS with the ABC itinerary.....  Has anyone done this lately?  Was port or starboard the best?

THANKS!

I know this doesn't apply to your cruise per se, but from what others have posted, it does matter in let's say Alaskan cruises where you are headed in one direction most of the time. Starboard north bound and port southbound, as most of the land is on one side most of the time.

38 minutes ago, FManke said:

I know this doesn't apply to your cruise per se, but from what others have posted, it does matter in let's say Alaskan cruises where you are headed in one direction most of the time. Starboard north bound and port southbound, as most of the land is on one side most of the time.

I'd argue against that 'wisdom' for Alaska cruises.  Having done three doesn't make me an expert by any stretch, but I fail to see the logic for a specific side in Alaska and I am curious why people come to the conclusion that facing the land mass in the inside passage is better.  On one cruise there was far more marine live on the other side including pods of Orcas.  

Ironically the only time there is land just on one side you are so far offshore you can barely see land never mind make out details or look for a bear.  Regardless what side you are on if you just experience Alaska from one side of the ship you are missing out on something.  Plus you won't use your balcony as much as your think in Alaska.  It's cold out there.

If it makes you feel better and the price is the same, do it since you will feel better.  Of course the cruise lines have this figured out and often there is a premium for it.  Supply and demand, higher demand equates to higher price, not a better experience.