Northern Lights from Ovation of the Seas (sailing Alaska)

tiltoo

Hey fellows and learned cruisers. I am just about to sail on Ovation of the Seas for a 7 night journey to Alaska .... set to depart on 31st May, 2019. I was just curious, is there any chance I can get to see Northern Lights from aboard the ship ?????

Royal Caribbean does mention on the Ovation of the Seas webpage ... "See the Northern Lights in Juneau"

Its hard to believe..... any experiences / thoughts ? 

See the Northern Lights in Juneau

46 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

While it's not impossible (we see them in Minnesota), the best months for catching them are Sept through March.  There's so little "nighttime" in late May/June (which is why I like to go up there during the summer solstice).

Enjoy! I'll be on the June 21st sailing.

Thanks Speed !!

9 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

While it's not impossible (we see them in Minnesota), the best months for catching them are Sept through March.  There's so little "nighttime" in late May/June (which is why I like to go up there during the summer solstice).

I agree with @SpeedNoodles in that seeing the northern lights in Alaska during the summer is very rare.

Having lived in Homer, Alaska for over 35 years, I've never seen them during the summer where I live (about the same latitude as Skagway; and ever so slightly lower latitude than Seward).

Here's an untouched picture I took a few years ago out my living room window taken about 12:30am (just after midnight) on June 21st.

image.thumb.png.d60d874a730856eb331c27d223fc5a27.png

I've sat out on the porch many times after midnight and easily read a book or the newspaper without lights.  You turn on your headlights to drive simply for safety sake, as you really don't need them to see.

For those that might be considering a land-cruise tour and visit Fairbanks during the summer, expect about 23 hours of daylight (the sun only dips below the horizon for a little while, and then pops back up!).  During the summer solstice (June 21st), there has been an amateur league baseball game that starts just before midnight, and usually ends between 1AM & 2AM.  There are never any lights used at any time (certainly don't need them), and depending on where you sit in the bleachers, you need to remember to bring your sunglasses, as you'll need them!    See https://www.midnightsungame.com/

20 minutes ago, MarvinS said:

Having lived in Homer, Alaska for over 35 years, I've never seen them during the summer where I live (about the same latitude as Skagway; and ever so slightly lower latitude than Seward).

Oh how wonderful! One of my friends lived in Homer during the summer for years and led tours - I regret that I never got up there to spend time with him when he was still doing that.  Homer is definitely still on my bucket list of places to visit!

I agree that I doubt you will see any northern lights.  I lived in Anchorage for several yrs.  I remember every summer solstice we would go on a white water rafting trip that went until 2.m. and it was still light out.  The golf courses last tee time was 11:00 pm.  We used to joke that the sun just would bounce down and right back up.

Winter time and we would see them at least once a week, but than again the sun did not rise until about 9- 10 a.m.and it would be dark by 3:30-4:00.  

I've managed to capture the Aurora Borealis in Banff, Alberta in June.  It wasn't as stunning as seeing it in the Arctic in the winter.  

This topic came up during a talk with a naturalist on a Celebrity Alaska cruise.  It's possible to see them but more likely closer to Vancouver since the days aren't as long.  Later in the season increases the chances because the nights are longer.

In all cases though it all depends on the right factors falling into place to see them at all.  I have used apps that monitors the KP index.  The right solar activity has to occur.  The phase of the moon will dictate how much light is in the sky.  If it's heavy cloud cover, no Aurora Borealis will be seen.  Everything has to fall into place to see them.  

Thanks friends for your kind and prompt replies..... looks like chances of my sighting the Aurora Borealis are really really slim in June....

but hey like twangster says ... if all things fall in place I might just be super super lucky..... 

Thanks MarvinS for the beautiful pic, AB or no AB that is one amazing sight !

• 5 months later...
On 4/16/2019 at 2:58 PM, tiltoo said:

Hey fellows and learned cruisers. I am just about to sail on Ovation of the Seas for a 7 night journey to Alaska .... set to depart on 31st May, 2019. I was just curious, is there any chance I can get to see Northern Lights from aboard the ship ?????

Royal Caribbean does mention on the Ovation of the Seas webpage ... "See the Northern Lights in Juneau"

Its hard to believe..... any experiences / thoughts ? 

See the Northern Lights in Juneau

I know you already sailed and I hope you saw the Northern Lights.  For future reference here is a forcast web site https://www.gi.alaska.edu/monitors/aurora-forecast?

We sail next June and I hope to see them.