Port Canaveral Port w/ Transportation to Disney

AmandaM

One of our ports of call for our cruise is Port Canaveral.  As we have a 5 year old who has never been to Disney, we were thinking this would be a good excursion.  Has anyone done the transportation to Disney option?  Was it worth it?  Are there better ways?  Thanks.

Double check your arrival and departure time in at Port Canaveral.  Many times there isn't a lot of time to experience Disney World properly when stopping at Port Canaveral during a cruise.

Given the cost of Disney World a few hours once you do all the transfers and such makes for a hurried day.  Some rides or activities can have long lines at Disney World.  Many people come to the conclusion it's not a great way to experience Disney World.  

Same here...debating if we'll go.  Royal offers an 'excursion' but it's just the bus transportation.  Hard to have a stop at Port Canaveral and not go to Disney but single day tickets are really expensive. ?  When are you going?  For us, it'll be March so the park will be really busy (which means less rides).

We're also questioning if we want to just do Downtown Disney (think that's Disney Springs?).  That way, we can get a Disney fix but not pay for park tickets.

36 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Same here...debating if we'll go.  Royal offers an 'excursion' but it's just the bus transportation.  Hard to have a stop at Port Canaveral and not go to Disney but single day tickets are really expensive. ?  When are you going?  For us, it'll be March so the park will be really busy (which means less rides).

We're also questioning if we want to just do Downtown Disney (think that's Disney Springs?).  That way, we can get a Disney fix but not pay for park tickets.

I've come to a similar conclusion. I was looking at a cruise that stopped in Port Canaveral and with the travel time you were looking at under 5 hours at Disney. May be worth it if you don't think you'll make it down there again in a long time and you're okay with walking the park some and riding a couple rides. Otherwise, I think Disney Springs could give you taste of Disney without the park ticket expense. 

I'm very new to RCCL but I know quite a bit about Disney World.  I've been 40 plus times.

Disney Springs (Downtown Disney) is nice for eating and shopping.  For Disney shopping there is the huge World of Disney and then some smaller boutique shops.  I'm not sure that's what you had it mind, maybe it is?

To get a one day ticket is pricey, Disney is pricey.    

Check out these sites, EasyWDW.com has a message board like here ( they are very nice like here too)

Mousesaver.com is a great site to check out and gather information  

1 hour ago, MicDay said:

I'm very new to RCCL but I know quite a bit about Disney World.  I've been 40 plus times.

Disney Springs (Downtown Disney) is nice for eating and shopping.  For Disney shopping there is the huge World of Disney and then some smaller boutique shops.  I'm not sure that's what you had it mind, maybe it is?

To get a one day ticket is pricey, Disney is pricey.    

Check out these sites, EasyWDW.com has a message board like here ( they are very nice like here too)

Mousesaver.com is a great site to check out and gather information  

Do you think you could spend a day at Disney Springs?  Or its just a couple hour event?

I forgot to mention they have Splitville, it a huge bowling alley that serves some really good food.

The Void: Step beyond reality, cool virtual reality adventure, look it up

The have a movie theater where you can reserve your seat or eat while watching a movie.

A lot of shopping from unique boutiques to name brands

Great restaurants, recommend making a reservations to them (open table has some, Disney has them all).  Last trip we really enjoyed the Polite Pig (BBQ food) and Wolfgang Puck.

Yes, If the above things interest you, you could spend all day there

I'm a huge Disney fan but there is a lot more to Orlando then just Disney  (my husband will never hear me say that)

They have a couple of decent outlets (rent a car if time permits to do this)

They have Universal Studio and Sea World ( cheaper then Disney)

You could also visit Kennedy Space Center 

Just depends on how much time you have at this port, the drive to Disney is about 45 minutes with decent traffic/construction , so factor in 2 hours drive time for both ways at least.

Hope that helps some.

I would recommend a dedicated trip to Orlando to really experience Disney.  It's just quite a ride to/from Port Canaveral for a only a one-day port stop. 

You could make a day of Disney without entering the parks by using the Disney transportation and visiting the various resorts and Disney Springs, but you have to be mindful of your time as it takes a lot of time to get around the Disney area.

I grew up in the Orlando area and I live only 4 hours away now, so it's easy for me to get down there which skews my perception a little bit.

I would look into the Kennedy Space Center as an alternative.  It's a lot closer to the port and you can catch a taxi, Uber/Lyft there and do it on your own.  The ship usually has excursions for this as well if you are more comfortable with that.  I used to visit there as a kid and always enjoyed it and it has many more attractions and things to do now than it did when I visited back in the 1980s! 

14 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

Do you think you could spend a day at Disney Springs?  Or its just a couple hour event?

I know I could easily spend a whole day at Disney Springs.  If, heaven forbid, I EVER went to Orlando and for some terrible, AWFUL, reason COULD NOT GO TO WDW, I would and could definitely spend the day at DS.   But basically, it's JUST an outdoor mall.  It's a Disney mall...which is why I could spend the whole day. 

I would think this would be the better option for someone wanting to excursion at Port Canaveral. 

The challenge for someone who hasn't been to WDW lies in what they don't know.  It can take your first day just to get the lay of the land and figure out each park within WDW.  

For WDW regulars they know the parks and know what to skip and what not to.  They can go directly to the place within each park that they like.  

When you stay in the area you can arrive when the park opens and stay for the fireworks.  You have a full day to maximize the cost of admission.  

When you visit from a cruise ship your available time is reduced significantly and if you don't already know the park you may be left with "We have to leave already?  I paid all this money for what?".

15 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

You can spend a good amount of time at Disney Springs, but it's predominately shopping and eating. It's usually quite busy too.   Disney is brilliant, they have turned a shopping center and restaurant area into a pseudo-5th theme park destination.   

43 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

I did the calculation for a family of 4 including Disney transportation and 1-day park ticket (picking high cost...not sure about OP but when they are coming)...The cost for the day is $1100 CAD

Plus you don't have a full day and one key to doing Disney is to be at the parks prior to them opening for the day.  Say the ship docked at 9:00 you were off by 9:30 and on the bus/uber/etc by 10:00.  Maybe you could get to the Magic Kingdom by 11:30-12:00, right at high noon for crowds and lunch.  You'd probably have 6 hours before having to turn around and repeat the trip (guessing the ship is leaving at 9:00 PM).  If you wanted to hit the big rides during that 6 hours, you might be able to do 3, maybe 4.  

The only way I'd do Disney as a Port Canaveral excursion is if I was a season pass holder, had my fastpass(es) lined up, and just needed a Disney fix.    As someone else mentioned, if you want to do Disney, you'd be way better off doing a dedicated trip. 

When I was in my youth (before kids) we would line up early and wait for the park to open.  Upon opening the gates we ran to Space Mountain.  We could ride Space Mountain three times with virtually no lines.  After the 3rd ride lines we starting to form so we went elsewhere.  By mid-day the Space Mountain line was over a 2 hour wait.  The next day we would pick a different ride and do the same.  This was before Fastpass.  

Arriving from a cruise ship will put you there in the peak times when lines are becoming longest.  After a long bus ride you get to stand in line for hours for one ride.  

I'm a Disney fanatic and I wouldn't do it.  I've been several times (even had a kid working there) and STILL haven't seen/done it all.  With such a short amount of time actually at the park & the cost to do so just doesn't do it justice and I feel may be overwhelming for a 5 year old.  Also, not sure when your trip is but they are opening the new Star Wars land there at the end of August and crowds will be insane.

Totally agree with everyone else, I've been so many times I've lost the outlook to someone new.

Plan a trip to Disney on it's own, use the websites I listed to help if Disney is a must do, I love it 

If you a big Star Wars fan, I'd plan a trip a year or so from Fall 2019.

I also have been to Disney numerous times.  Your transportation from cruise port to Disney  and back will eat up 3-4 hrs at best.  Anyone who has spent much time at Disney will tell you Disney is about waiting in lines from the ticket entrance, transportation in the park and lines to the rides.  Your 5 yr old will be a very frustrated child when you have to take him back to the ship due to the small taste of Disney he will experience.  He will probably be a unhappy camper.  Like most have said.......make Disney a vacation in itself.

Best bang for your buck is to tour NASA. 15-20 minutes away. You can see it from the port. It is a lot more awesome than it sounds. All the rockets and the Space Shuttle Atlantis is there.

If you  go with Disney... the drive one way is ONE HOUR+. Parking and getting into Magic Kingdom 30 to 60 MINUTES (depending on where they drop you off). The time of year can cripple your wait times....Sept & May you MIGHT go from ride to ride with ease....When school is out 30 to 90 minutes EACH ride.  AAAAND IF it is after Aug 29th 2019 do not even attempt to go near MK with the new Star Wars land opening. You'll be in tears at 10 AM. $$

21 hours ago, MotleyCruiser said:

Best bang for your buck is to tour NASA. 15-20 minutes away. You can see it from the port. It is a lot more awesome than it sounds. All the rockets and the Space Shuttle Atlantis is there.

I agree - I went because the family wanted to go but I really enjoyed our day there much more than I thought I would.

Do NASA!  I don't know why I waited to my late 40's to do NASA.

I grew up watching the end of the Apollo program.  Lived through the Shuttle program.  Drove by the Cape to and from collage several times a year in the late '80.  Still I never took the time.

I was blown away my first visit 4 years ago.  My girls love it too and are begging to go again before our next cruise in June.  BTW they are 17 and 15.

A visit to the Magic Kingdom is my plan also, the cost of a day pass to Disney is around the same price as any other shore excursion .  My ship will be there for 12 hours, I have a 6 year old that will be happy to see Cinderella Castle, the Disney Characters and be able to tell her friends that she went to Disney, for ME seeing her happy is worth the money and time.  We will arrive when the park opens or shortly thereafter (9am) and leave the park by NLT 4:30-5pm and be back at the ship by 6:30pm for the 7pm departure, that gives us roughly 7 or 8 hours at the Magic Kingdom and more than enough time to make a 6 year old little girl the happiest child on Earth.  

Have fun and enjoy your cruise whatever you decide!! 

One thing to remember if a trip to Disney World is contemplated don't wait until the last minute to leave the park because Murphy lurks. The traffic leaving Orlando from mid afternoon on the Central Florida Greenway (417) to the Beachline (528) and to Port Canaveral and Cocoa Beach gets quite heavy and unforeseen things do happen. 

If we had young children, for the Disney experience, I would go to Disney Springs, having made reservations for early afternoon at T-Rex restaurant (they can be made on Disney's website) or try at the entrance, and the kids will love the animated dinosaurs that perform every 20 minutes or so.  Then leave about 3ish so not to watch the boat disappearing into the sunset.

OH yeah, our "kids" are in their 50's and we have been to T-Rex several times.

• 3 weeks later...

Been to Disney many times.  (like 40+ vacations in last 30 years).  the key is to buy your park tickets early, and make you fast pass + reservations (3) the day the open up, and stack them one after another.  Have everything loaded up into "mydisneyexperience" app.

Simple day will go like this.

9am port

9:30am off ship

10:00am uber to Disney's Contemporary Hotel ($75)

11:30am walk to Magic Kingdom Entrance.  Since you pre bought your park tickets, you can just walk in (after security)

12:00pm use 1st fast pass for splash mountain

12:30pm ride pirates of the caribean stand by

1:00pm use second fast pass for Big Thunder

1:30 ride haunted mansion stand by

2:00pm use 3rd fast pass for space mountain

2:30 ride people mover stand by

3:00pm ride buzz light year stand by

3:30 ride  tea cups stand by

4:00pm ride little mermaid stand by

....these are all if you hit the lines perfect and have normal wait times...if not you will skip a few of the stand by rides

6:00pm worse case....head to main street and shop

6:45pm walk to Contemporary hotel

7:00pm uber back to cruise port ($75)

9:00pm back on ship

you could get up to 9 rides in, plus shopping and some snacks and be back to the boat in time.  very doable...but you have to know how to do it.  A 1st timer in disney would maybe get half of that accomplished.

40 minutes ago, goblues38 said:

Been to Disney many times.  (like 40+ vacations in last 30 years).  the key is to buy your park tickets early, and make you fast pass + reservations (3) the day the open up, and stack them one after another.  Have everything loaded up into "mydisneyexperience" app.

9am port

11:30am walk to Magic Kingdom Entrance.  Since you pre bought your park tickets, you can just walk in (after security)

....these are all if you hit the lines perfect and have normal wait times...if not you will skip a few of the stand by rides

you could get up to 9 rides in, plus shopping and some snacks and be back to the boat in time.  very doable...but you have to know how to do it.  A 1st timer in disney would maybe get half of that accomplished.

Wow !  Sounds like you might have done this a time or 2.  I love your organization.

On 5/29/2019 at 2:11 PM, goblues38 said:

9am port

That's also how I would "Disney"...actually no...nevermind.  I wouldn't limit myself to that short of a stay...and I would not wait to get to the park at 11:30am.  LOL. 

But someone might.  lol

On 5/29/2019 at 2:11 PM, goblues38 said:

9am port

Not sure OPs port timing.  If those were the hours, then would be wroth it.  But for our cruise (not OP), we don't arrive until 12:30pm and leave at 9pm.  So guessing we'd only get actual park time from say 2pm7pm?

On 5/29/2019 at 11:11 AM, goblues38 said:

As an experienced Disney goer here in California, there is no way in the world the price would be worth it even if you got 9 rides in with this excellent organization and time management! On a good day in CA, I have hit a max of 29 rides in one day, not counting 2nd and 3rds on Radiator Springs or 5th and 6th rides on Space Mountain. Only riding 9 things would be the saddest trip to the Magic Kingdom! 

• 4 months later...
17 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

Has anyone taken Disney transportation and then did non park things such as visit resorts, grab lunch somewhere (e.g. Ohana or something outside of a park), and visit Disney Springs?  Wondering if this is worth doing and the logistics of getting around yourself once you are dropped off.

Haven't done in yet but that is our plan. We booked ship transportation which takes you to TTC. Going to walk to Poly for breakfast at Ohana, do the monorail loop and look around resorts, then catch a bus to Disney Springs. Catch the bus back to Poly and walk over to TTC.

8 hours ago, Harper said:

Haven't done in yet but that is our plan. We booked ship transportation which takes you to TTC. Going to walk to Poly for breakfast at Ohana, do the monorail loop and look around resorts, then catch a bus to Disney Springs. Catch the bus back to Poly and walk over to TTC.

When is your trip?  Would love to hear how it turns out and the timing and all.

This is kind of what I'm thinking....to visit a resort...or a few...have late lunch and the head to Disney Springs. Is it easy to catch the resort bus?  Have only been to WDW once so not familiar with getting around from place to place.

12 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

When is your trip?  Would love to hear how it turns out and the timing and all.

This is kind of what I'm thinking....to visit a resort...or a few...have late lunch and the head to Disney Springs. Is it easy to catch the resort bus?  Have only been to WDW once so not familiar with getting around from place to place.

Going 12/31, so i'm sure crowds will play into it all. Will try to remember to update when we get back.

Resort buses are super easy to catch. Every resort has a bus area, you just get in line for the location you want and hop on when it arrives. Depending on time of day/which area, the lines may be long, but mid-day is decent. I think the app even now shows the bus schedules to arrival, but I wouldn't rely on it. If you are worried about buses, I'd stick to the monorail loop(Grand Floridian, Poly, Contemporary). You'd need a bus, or uber/taxi to get to Disney Springs and back. It may be easier at Disney Springs to uber back to TTC, as they go there directly vs taking a bus and then monorail/walking over.

3 hours ago, Harper said:

Going 12/31, so i'm sure crowds will play into it all. Will try to remember to update when we get back.

Resort buses are super easy to catch. Every resort has a bus area, you just get in line for the location you want and hop on when it arrives. Depending on time of day/which area, the lines may be long, but mid-day is decent. I think the app even now shows the bus schedules to arrival, but I wouldn't rely on it. If you are worried about buses, I'd stick to the monorail loop(Grand Floridian, Poly, Contemporary). You'd need a bus, or uber/taxi to get to Disney Springs and back. It may be easier at Disney Springs to uber back to TTC, as they go there directly vs taking a bus and then monorail/walking over.

Would love to hear back if you can on how your day turned out ...and what you visited.  Even though you have a busy day, hopefully most will be in the parks so it won't affect you.

Guess I'd just need to research where to catch the resort bus and timing.  I think for our, we are in port from 12:30pm - 9pm, so we'd be arriving early afternoon....so hopefully ok as you say.  Good point...there is always uber or taxi (as we might not have internet so might be taxi - we are Canadians so don't have a US plan)  .  Would definitely need a plan.

Have a great trip, and let us know what you end up visiting that day.

PS - Any recommended restaurants at one of the monorail resorts or Disney Springs?

2 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

Would love to hear back if you can on how your day turned out ...and what you visited.  Even though you have a busy day, hopefully most will be in the parks so it won't affect you.

Guess I'd just need to research where to catch the resort bus and timing.  I think for our, we are in port from 12:30pm - 9pm, so we'd be arriving early afternoon....so hopefully ok as you say.  Good point...there is always uber or taxi (as we might not have internet so might be taxi - we are Canadians so don't have a US plan)  .  Would definitely need a plan.

PS - Any recommended restaurants at one of the monorail resorts or Disney Springs?

When is your trip? If I recall, Disney has free wifi most places, I know resorts and parks do. It looks like they say online Disney springs does too, so that should be helpful.

As for dining, depends what your group wants. It may be hard to do character meals due to timing, would have to be a super early dinner but maybe 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian?  Heard great things about Polite Pig in Disney Springs but never been myself. Honestly, my favorite is just lots of snacks.

5 hours ago, Harper said:

When is your trip? If I recall, Disney has free wifi most places, I know resorts and parks do. It looks like they say online Disney springs does too, so that should be helpful.

As for dining, depends what your group wants. It may be hard to do character meals due to timing, would have to be a super early dinner but maybe 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian?  Heard great things about Polite Pig in Disney Springs but never been myself. Honestly, my favorite is just lots of snacks.

Trip isn't until March....but....I'm researching now in case there are deals on Black Friday. We actually currently have the Disney Outlet and Disney Springs excursion booked for a good deal.  It was a way to get a Disney fix in, but wondering if it'll be too much shopping for our DS (as he hates shopping and 60% of the time is spent at the outlet mall) so this is a more flexible way to visit Disney Springs and adding in resort stuff.  Not sure though as we don't want anything complex and not sure if we'll get a bit stir crazy if we spend 5 -6 hrs just visiting a resort or two and then Disney Springs.   Or if we'll be too stressed with getting ourselves back to the TTC in plenty of time for the return. (We're pretty low key, low risk people).

TBH....quite torn about our Port Canaveral stop.  Wish park tickets weren't crazy as would love to visit the park.

Good to know that WDW has wifi.  Didn't realize that.  

Thanks for the meal suggestions.  Am thinking because of the timing at PC, we would probably have a late breakfast on the ship, and then a meal between lunch and dinner.  DH loves Boma breakfast but I checked and the hours don't work as there is no inbetween hours.  Park Fare could be a mid day or early dinner option. We quite enjoyed Chef Mickey's breakfast but seems like there is a gap between 2:30pm and 5pm so not sure we could make it.  Then again, it's not like we'll be hungry or short of food coming from a cruise.

Silly question...I assume for the resorts you can walk though and browse the public areas?  (but obviously parts are blocked off such as the pools)

11 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

Silly question...I assume for the resorts you can walk though and browse the public areas?  (but obviously parts are blocked off such as the pools)

Yes!  You can even visit the pool area and walk around but you can't get into the pool.

I believe you've stated that you weren't interested in being responsible for driving, but I think it would be an economical and flexible option for your family.  Rent a car at PC and drive to Orlando.  Do what you want to do and see and drive back.

I've been to Orlando plenty of times and not gone into the parks at all.  You can ride the monorail around from the TTC to Epcot and all the monorail resorts, take the ferry from the TTC to the Magic Kingdom all for free..grab a Dole Whip at the Polynesian.  Take a boat over to Fort Wilderness and explore the campgrounds and Wilderness Lodge.  Drive over to the Animal Kingdom resorts, park and walk around and see the animals that may be out at the resorts..drive over to the EPCOT resorts, etc.  If you're visiting close to Easter I know they've done some nice displays at the resorts where the employees get to decorate Easter eggs for a contest and they are incredible!

20 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

Resort busses can be easy to catch depending on the resort. I've found them to be a lot less reliable at the deluxe resorts because usually there is alternate transportation (monorail, skyline, boat etc). I've waitied 40 min to an hour for busses at Animal Kingdom lodge, and beach club resort. Because you are on a time crunch, I'd suggest using uber to get around if you can do that. It's super cheap (6-7 bucks on average for almost anywhere in Disney) and it will definitely save you time getting from place to place. 

As far as restaurants go...it definitely depends on what you like and whether or not you are looking for good food or fun experience. Traditionally, the themed restaurants don't have the best food, but the experiences often make up for that. On the monorail loop, I've eaten at Ohana many times and really do like the food but it can be hit or miss depending on the day. However, let me just say that the Bananas Foster bread pudding is AMAZING. I've heard great things about the Grand Floridian Cafe but have never eaten there myself, and if you want a character experience, 1900 park fare is definitely a decent choice.

In Disney Springs, I have had delicious food at lots of places. Homecomin' has really delicious southern type food, and Raglan Road has yummy Irish food and a fun atmosphere if the dancers are working. I've also eaten at Boathouse and Frontera Cocina, both of which were ok (but not my faves). If you want a cheaper option, Chicken Guy was one of the best meals I had (it's a quick service place). D-Luxe burger also has some really delicious burgers and shakes and it's another quick/cheap option. I've never been to T-Rex (have been to Rainforest Cafe though..same deal) and either of those options might be fun if you have kids. 

Whatever you decide, you won't go hungry. With the exception of Ohana, my tip is to skip dessert and get something at one of the other places in the Springs...(like a cake or treat at Amorettes, some yummy chocolate at the Ganachery, bubble waffles/crepes, Sprinkles cupcakes, Ample Hills Creamery etc)

Hope it all works out for you...have a great time!

On 11/6/2019 at 8:21 AM, AshleyDillo said:

Yes!  You can even visit the pool area and walk around but you can't get into the pool.

I believe you've stated that you weren't interested in being responsible for driving, but I think it would be an economical and flexible option for your family.  Rent a car at PC and drive to Orlando.  Do what you want to do and see and drive back.

I've been to Orlando plenty of times and not gone into the parks at all.  You can ride the monorail around from the TTC to Epcot and all the monorail resorts, take the ferry from the TTC to the Magic Kingdom all for free..grab a Dole Whip at the Polynesian.  Take a boat over to Fort Wilderness and explore the campgrounds and Wilderness Lodge.  Drive over to the Animal Kingdom resorts, park and walk around and see the animals that may be out at the resorts..drive over to the EPCOT resorts, etc.  If you're visiting close to Easter I know they've done some nice displays at the resorts where the employees get to decorate Easter eggs for a contest and they are incredible!

Thanks.  Yeah, we know it will cost a bit more, but we're not comfortable driving 1hr away from the port on our own.  And just in case any traffic delays or accidents on the roads, we'd rather be on a ship excursion where the ship will wait for you.  

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm noting them (e.g. boat to Winderness Lodge) Great that they have Dole Whip outside of the park. Those are yummy. ? 

Not sure when Easter is, but we're coming mid March (we don't celebrate) but could still be fun events.

On 11/6/2019 at 9:39 AM, riversend22 said:

Resort busses can be easy to catch depending on the resort. I've found them to be a lot less reliable at the deluxe resorts because usually there is alternate transportation (monorail, skyline, boat etc). I've waitied 40 min to an hour for busses at Animal Kingdom lodge, and beach club resort. Because you are on a time crunch, I'd suggest using uber to get around if you can do that. It's super cheap (6-7 bucks on average for almost anywhere in Disney) and it will definitely save you time getting from place to place. 

As far as restaurants go...it definitely depends on what you like and whether or not you are looking for good food or fun experience. Traditionally, the themed restaurants don't have the best food, but the experiences often make up for that. On the monorail loop, I've eaten at Ohana many times and really do like the food but it can be hit or miss depending on the day. However, let me just say that the Bananas Foster bread pudding is AMAZING. I've heard great things about the Grand Floridian Cafe but have never eaten there myself, and if you want a character experience, 1900 park fare is definitely a decent choice.

In Disney Springs, I have had delicious food at lots of places. Homecomin' has really delicious southern type food, and Raglan Road has yummy Irish food and a fun atmosphere if the dancers are working. I've also eaten at Boathouse and Frontera Cocina, both of which were ok (but not my faves). If you want a cheaper option, Chicken Guy was one of the best meals I had (it's a quick service place). D-Luxe burger also has some really delicious burgers and shakes and it's another quick/cheap option. I've never been to T-Rex (have been to Rainforest Cafe though..same deal) and either of those options might be fun if you have kids. 

Whatever you decide, you won't go hungry. With the exception of Ohana, my tip is to skip dessert and get something at one of the other places in the Springs...(like a cake or treat at Amorettes, some yummy chocolate at the Ganachery, bubble waffles/crepes, Sprinkles cupcakes, Ample Hills Creamery etc)

Hope it all works out for you...have a great time!

Thanks for the warning about the buses at the deluxe resorts.  Sounds like uber will be our friend.

And thanks for the restaurant suggestion.  We did try Ohana when at WDW and enjoyed. The others look like great options too.