Bringing Wine On board

10 minutes ago, spursfreak21 said:

Hello Everyone!

So I know that you are allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine on board per stateroom.  My question is - do any of you all actually do this? When do you drink this wine? Do you bring it to dinner? For white wines is there a way to get the wine chilled?

Any tips are appreciated!

I usually bring wine. I ask the room steward for a bucket of ice and glasses. I carry my own small cork screw but I've been told a steward can find you one if you need it. I keep the bottle in the ice bucket and usually pour a glass as I'm getting ready for dinner. I then carry my drink to the MDR. I find that the steward refreshes both the ice and glasses every day.

We always bring two bottles. I've had good luck with asking the dining room staff if I can bring them to dinner. Technically they should charge a corkage fee, but I've not been charged yet. We do traditional dining and I will ask the first night after dinner to the assistant waiter if I can bring my wine bottles down. If they say they have to charge me I'd just accept the fee, but if there is no charge I give the fee as an extra tip at the end of the cruise. 

Whites can be chilled in your mini-fridge in your room before drinking. 

Your room steward can bring glasses and cork screw to your room if you'd rather pour it yourself and take a glass with you. 

You have a small fridge in your cabin.  Ask your room steward to bring you a cork screw and 2 wine glasses, they do this gladly.  If you want to have it at dinner, they will store it for you, but they do charge a corkage fee, usually 10 or 15 dollars to open and store it.  Still a lot cheaper than buying the bottle on board.

my wife and i have the drink package but will still bring on our 2 bottles.   It's more of the convenience of having wine we both know we enjoy  for in the evenings on the balcony or while getting ready in the room without having to run out and get some from the bar.    nothing worse than getting stuck with a skunky wine at the end of the night, so we play it safe for those occasions.      I've inadvertently turned her into a wine snob (as far as our expenses go) and she's particular as to what she likes so we've gotta keep momma happy!    she never poo-poo's my uncontrollable cigar purchases so far be it for me to keep her from wanting something from our little top-shelf wine cooler lol

We bring 2 bottles of wine and buy wine every cruise.  Like Todd W stated nothing worse than getting a bottle of nasty tasting wine.  Then again they do let you taste it before pouring a glass. That works out very well.   I cover the cork screw with a piece of lead so the x ray machine won`t detect it.   Works every time.  Did I just say that. Silly me. Too much vino I guess.

1 hour ago, fonemanbob said:

We bring 2 bottles of wine and buy wine every cruise.  Like Todd W stated nothing worse than getting a bottle of nasty tasting wine.  Then again they do let you taste it before pouring a glass. That works out very well.   I cover the cork screw with a piece of lead so the x ray machine won`t detect it.   Works every time.  Did I just say that. Silly me. Too much vino I guess.

I dont think RCL cares if thats your concern.  checked bags on the airline dont care either.  if your carrying it on a plane, then yeah, it would present an issue.

We brought two bottles per family on our last cruise and brought them to the main dinning room for dinner. Like others have said as well, we have yet to be charged a corkage fee even though we brought a different bottle to dinner every night. It was a seamless process and provided a nice alternative to buying wine at dinner.

We just finished a 12 day cruise on Grandeur. We took the two bottles of wine allowed in our carryon bags. During the security check before boarding, they asked to see the wine bottles so they could be sure it was wine we were taking on. The bottles were packed in the bottom of my husbands carry on bag...so that was a bit inconvenient to drag them out. Neither of us are drinkers, really...just now and then. Turns out we didn’t even open the wine and brought it home with us. 

When our kids come with us we always get 2 cabins, so bring 4 bottles.  Funny thing is I carry all 4 in my backpack and security doesn't question it.  The person running the x-ray machine has no idea that I have 2 cabins yet they never say a word, I always find that odd.

40 minutes ago, yzfmik said:

When our kids come with us we always get 2 cabins, so bring 4 bottles.  Funny thing is I carry all 4 in my backpack and security doesn't question it.  The person running the x-ray machine has no idea that I have 2 cabins yet they never say a word, I always find that odd.

At the port in Bayonne they always ask me for proof that I have two cabins, once they notice I have 4 bottles of wine in my wheeled carry-on.

On 4/18/2019 at 7:44 AM, Carl said:

Sorry for the clarification needed but some of us like specific answers so should I take this as a flat out yes we can bring wine or no we cant? They must be carried on otherwise you need to collect your baggage from the dungeon near the bilge...

Yes you can bring up to 2 x 750ml bottles per cabin.