Costa Maya

bcarney

Family of 4 (2 kids age 7 and 9) will be stopping at this port next spring.  Any suggestions on activities that would keep all of us interested?  This doesn't appear to be a stop with anything appealing - is it like Falmouth, a port with no real reason to be there except to park a cruise ship?

Costa Maya happens to be my very favorite port ! I absolutely LOVE going into Mahahual. It is a sleepy little town just a block or 2 long but as far as fun (and cheap !) day at the beach, they just don't get any better than this (IMO).

Now, having said that, I have never been there with children. It has always been just adults. If the kids enjoy just going to the beach and spending the day, this would work for you...but if they must be "entertained" then this one might not be the best choice.

I absolutely love going to Mahahual and getting fresh lobster, $1 Coronas, fresh guac, the best ceviche I have ever had and a $20 massage on the beach. While the port "compound" is very nice at Costa Maya, far too few people bother to take a taxi over to Mahahual and spend the day. It's a very short and inexpensive taxi ride ($5 as I recall).

There are also some very nice ruins near Costa Maya. I can't recall the names at the moment but they are quite nice and not nearly as far away as from Cozumel or Belize.

IMO, Costa Maya is NOTHING like Falmouth. There are some really beautiful and fun things to do in Costa Maya and it is a very affordable destination.

I absolutely love going to Mahahual and getting fresh lobster, $1 Coronas, fresh guac, the best ceviche I have ever had and a $20 massage on the beach. While the port "compound" is very nice at Costa Maya, far too few people bother to take a taxi over to Mahahual and spend the day. It's a very short and inexpensive taxi ride ($5 as I recall).

This I can get into!  Some of my favorite memories are from just "hanging out" at a local place - "Marshall's World Famous Pina Colada" in the Bahamas, some unnamed bar eating conch fritters in St Maarten, having a freshly-pulled-out-of-the-water lobster and fish in Samana while being serenaded by three musicians... Yeah, I'll have to talk my wife into this. :)