Overpacking

This is more of a general cruise question, not a Royal Caribbean question. But being this is our first cruise and there are many seasoned cruisers here, I'm looking for tips. In researching for our first cruise, pretty much every article or list of tips says "Don't overpack". In fact, it's usually the first or second tip mentioned, so it must be important. I usually pack pretty light for vacations, a few tshirts and pairs of shorts will get me by. But add in dress codes for the restaurants, formal night, a day in Miami before the trip and a day after, etc, and now it is increasing what needs to be packed. I'll need dress pants, polo shirts, dress shoes, sneakers... Not to mention the water shoes, snorkel equipment we plan on bringing to save money, dresses and multiple shoes for the females in the party, and I can see the packing quickly getting out of control. Any advice on how to keep it down to a minimum without having to re-wear already worn clothes?

My rule is half a normal suitcase for me, the other half for my daughter who is 5. My wife will have a full suitcase for all her crap (I have learned not to question anything she packs). I just make sure it weighs under the airline limit.  We will each have a carry on In case luggage is lost. 

I've figured out that shoes are a menace. They're heavy and difficult to pack. I've been able to reduce my footwear to one pair dress shoes that will work with suits and slacks for dinner. A pair of tennis shoes, and a pair of sandals. I wear Chaco sandals which can be used at the beach or walking around just as well. 

For 7 nights I'll bring my suit or a jacket for formal nights, two pair of pants, and 5 shirts. If I wear a shirt with a suit/jacket then I figure it's clean enough to wear again. 

Shorts/tees/swimsuits are all small and easy to pack so I don't worry about over packing on them much. We'll also use the bag-of-laundry deal on day 4 or 5 if needed for tees and socks and what-not. 

12 minutes ago, gregorykicks said:

I've figured out that shoes are a menace. They're heavy and difficult to pack. I've been able to reduce my footwear to one pair dress shoes that will work with suits and slacks for dinner. A pair of tennis shoes, and a pair of sandals. I wear Chaco sandals which can be used at the beach or walking around just as well. 

For 7 nights I'll bring my suit or a jacket for formal nights, two pair of pants, and 5 shirts. If I wear a shirt with a suit/jacket then I figure it's clean enough to wear again. 

Shorts/tees/swimsuits are all small and easy to pack so I don't worry about over packing on them much. We'll also use the bag-of-laundry deal on day 4 or 5 if needed for tees and socks and what-not. 

This is pretty much the same way I pack, I wear slack and shirts multiple times to cut down on what is needed.

As stated, if something were to get dirty or a stain, we will use the laundry service.

We're (or I) am guilty of over packing.  One thing as mentioned is to limit shoes (regular walking pair....but need closed shoes if on a ship with laser tag, laced shoes if on a ship with zipline), shoes for pool, 'dress' shoes.

For formal wear, DH brings slacks and nice tops but doesn't bring a jacket (bulky).  For DS, he'll re-wear slacks a couple times.  For DD and I, we re-wear a dress/nice top twice (don't tell..lol).  

I tend to overdue it on the summer cloths, but that's because I don't know if we'll wear tank tops (great to hot weather) or tshirts (great to burned shoulders).  If going to Caribbean, then I just bring a couple longs sleeves each.  And cardigan for each for theatre or extra layer if cooler.

Bring lots of sunscreen (or purchase but will be more).

What I find the hardest is toiletries.  That in itself takes up a suitcase...lol.

We buy toiletries and sunscreen before we go to the boat. As well as snacks and 2 bottles of wine.  That way our luggage is not weighed down before flying.  If driving then no problem.  Early on we would over pack.  Not anymore.  Just lay stuff out a few days or weeks before you leave. And yes you can get by with the same clothes for more than 1 dinner.  That in itself helps a whole bunch.  I bring 2 ties and 1 dress shirt for 2 formals.   Underwear you can wash in your sink or shower and hangar dry.  Don`t leave it on the balcony unattended.  Beware it will  take flight.  

For anyone's first cruise it's hard NOT to overpack.  Fifty cruises later and I still pack things I never wear,  just fewer of them.  

In some ways packing for a European land vacation where you'll ride trains and use taxis can be harder to pack for.   Several big suitcases for a family and it will take two elevator rides at many hotels.

As long as your luggage is within weight limits for your airline don't put too much energy into thinking about.  

Enjoy your cruise!

Let me pose an alternative thought for you.  One of the reasons we love to cruise is we feel like it is the one vacation we can over pack.  We start with if we are flying to the port then the restriction is really just what airline we're on and it's baggage costs.  We enjoy unpacking one time when we fist get our room.  Then changing depending on the activities and ports from there on out.  We consider the evenings our date nights so we probably dress up a little more than we would normally do.  So yes we over pack but we think that is part of the fun.  Enjoy your cruise. There is no right or wrong answer as long as you have fun.

16 minutes ago, Razerbkfan said:

Let me pose an alternative thought for you.  One of the reasons we love to cruise is we feel like it is the one vacation we can over pack.  We start with if we are flying to the port then the restriction is really just what airline we're on and it's baggage costs.  We enjoy unpacking one time when we fist get our room.  Then changing depending on the activities and ports from there on out.  We consider the evenings our date nights so we probably dress up a little more than we would normally do.  So yes we over pack but we think that is part of the fun.  Enjoy your cruise. There is no right or wrong answer as long as you have fun.

Interesting take! I agree that if you're willing to haul it to the ship and then home it's one of the easier vacations to purposefully pack heavy for. I wouldn't want to haul multiple suitcases to multiple locations, but once you're on the ship you're there! 

I definitely agree with dressing up and enjoying the atmosphere! 

3 hours ago, ama537621 said:

My rule is half a normal suitcase for me, the other half for my daughter who is 5. My wife will have a full suitcase for all her crap (I have learned not to question anything she packs). I just make sure it weighs under the airline limit.  We will each have a carry on In case luggage is lost. 

I am with you, except I share one suitcase with myb2 teenage son's.  The wife and all her crap is in the larger suitcase.

I work as a sportfishing boat captain and our space is limited so packing light is the only option. The same mindset I use on the cruises. I carry a duffel type bag I was given in a fishing tournament.  I often wear sport coat, nice pants and shirt that I will be using formal night when I board. It comes off the second the cabin is available. A pair of jeans, a pair of khakis, 4 pairs of nice shorts, 4 dress shirts, then tee shirts for as many days as the cruise. I get around the shoe issue wearing topsiders which are fine for casual or not so casual use. I do bring a spare pair that I stuff with socks and underwear. If you have to bring shoes I strongly utilizing that space in them also invert them top to tp pointing opposite directions to minimize space.  I will carry a full shave, toiletries, medications kit if room allows. Otherwise bust out a ziplock. My girlfriend packs sensibly so I am blessed with that rare gift. Our snorkel sets, bathing suits, and token bottle of wine go in our carry on... I live near most ports I sail from so hotel set is not a factor. If I do travel farther and need a travel/ hotel set of clothes it wouldn't be the first time I have done so with "disposable" older clothes that get chucked. On Cruises over 7  nights I have used their laundry services and have always enjoyed the outcome.

8 hours ago, Razerbkfan said:

I will be in Barcelona for 4 days and then on a 12 day cruise this summer.  I tend to wear dresses so the cheap laundry won’t work.  I had been telling myself not to overpack....my shoes are ridiculous.  I am trying for the Rick steve’s approach of “pack for the expected not the unexpected” but I’m not good at it!  However you have raised a good point.  We are going on a Barcelona day tour so no lugging luggage on the train, and we will taxi or Uber or whatever to the port and then to the airport.  Why pack light?  I will still try to decrease shoes but may not worry about the rest.  Though I do need room for souvenirs!   Jane

I still overpack, and I've made my peace with it.  

The advice not to overpack has to do with just reducing the stress of planning, as well as costs and burden of getting extra clothes to/from the ship. It's good advice, but I believe overpacking is an inevitability for most people.

I think the difference is not to assume you need 3-4 outfit changes a day, or that you need to dress like it's senior prom every evening. 

29 minutes ago, Matt said:

I think the difference is not to assume you need 3-4 outfit changes a day, or that you need to dress like it's senior prom every evening. 

Good points @Matt. I know it makes a difference being a guy, but I had no problems bringing 3 pairs of "dressier" pants and wore them all week for dinners. Just changed the shirts as needed. Even wore a couple of them more than once. Just spread them out over the cruise.

I don't know if this was mentioned, but you can always save some weight in your bag by wearing your heaviest shoes on the plane you are going to bring.

The only other thing I would say about packing is you have to know yourself. I'm a bigger guy and if I was going on a warm weather cruise, I would have to bring an extra bag just for the shirts I was going to sweat through. Last cruise was to New England/Canada in Oct, so that wasn't a problem.