Cabin Guest Room Swap

AJM

Hello, my spouse and I booked our next cruise with one of the NextCruise planners while on our previous cruise. We are bringing his young adult girls along as gifts to them. We were advised to book our rooms with one girl under one of our names, in the event that one of the girls couldn't make it and we didn't want to have problems changing names under the reservation # if we had someone else come along in her place (essentially, one of us 'adults' needs to be in charge/control of each room up until embarkation day). We just remembered this and want to be able to ensure that my spouse and I will have a cabin of our own with the beds together, and the girls in their own cabin with beds apart. I've listened to the YouTube live streams (although never been able to watch live), and I've heard Matt mention that there are certain email addresses we can contact to have information conveyed (i.e. dietary stuff, etc.). Is there such a one for something like this?

Thanks in advance,

Amanda

Nothing really needs to be done precruise. Just the reservations setup in the manner mentioned.

Once onboard go to Guest Services and they can issue an extra key card for each room. Just one thing to keep in mind any charges that would get applied to the room would hit the first person on the reservation. Only time this is really important, off the top of my head, is in the case of room service charges

For bed preferences there's nothing extra or special you need to do.  Technically, you can have the request in your cruise reservation.  As an example, my TA can put a note in there for which we prefer. However, the stateroom attendant can easily separate or put the beds back together on day one.

I just swapped room occupants between 2 rooms.  

RCL was happy to do it, but realized I booked through expedia so they sent me to them

Expedia was also happy to do it, took maybe 15min on the phone.  There were a few rules though... at least 1 person from the original booking had to remain in the original room (cannot completely swap rooms).  And there *could* be repricing.  In our case, they either waived the repricing or there was none (I suspect they waived it).  So it didnt cost a dime, swapped 2 people between 2 rooms, easy peasy, showed up in cruise compass within a minute.

They also asked about bedding preference at the same time.

7 minutes ago, JerseyJoe said:

Does anything really need to be done? Is there a reason they need to know who is in which room if it's not exactly how you booked it?

it can be useful to put drinkers in the same room, if say it was 2 couples and only 1 of each couple wants the drink package, put those 2 in a room and they can get the drink package.

23 minutes ago, Constantino said:

it can be useful to put drinkers in the same room, if say it was 2 couples and only 1 of each couple wants the drink package, put those 2 in a room and they can get the drink package.

Conversely if one adult doesn't drink and the other does, splitting the adults between cabins means that one adult can buy the deluxe drink package without forcing the other adult to buy a package since they are in different cabins.

You can't share drinks from one drink package but in many cases one adult simply doesn't drink so this strategy works out better for them.

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

Conversely if one adult doesn't drink and the other does, splitting the adults between cabins means that one adult can buy the deluxe drink package without forcing the other adult to buy a package since they are in different cabins.

You can't share drinks from one drink package but in many cases one adult simply doesn't drink so this strategy works out better for them.

But it's ok for them to actually sleep in the same room?

1 minute ago, JerseyJoe said:

But it's ok for them to actually sleep in the same room?

Simply visit guest services and request an extra key.  They will have to carry two keys, one to present at a bar to order a drink or when leaving the ship and one to open the door to the 'other' cabin but Royal doesn't care where you sleep.  

If two single people meet and spend the rest of the cruise in what ever cabin, Royal doesn't know or care.  

12 minutes ago, twangster said:

another use case... RCL hoses single occupancy with 90+% of the cost of dual occupancy, but gives no such break for 3rd and 4th occupants... so if you do have a single occupant in your group, stick an extra kid in their room and you'll save a chunk.

and yeah, splitting kids up into different rooms to isolate drinking adults also serves.

With newer ships having bracelets, its a good excuse to have 2 keys also.

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

Simply visit guest services and request an extra key.  They will have to carry two keys, one to present at a bar to order a drink or when leaving the ship and one to open the door to the 'other' cabin but Royal doesn't care where you sleep.  

If two single people meet and spend the rest of the cruise in what ever cabin, Royal doesn't know or care.  

I wonder how closely bartenders look at the pictures.  it seems almost as if you have the gender and skin color, youre probably getting served.

6 hours ago, twangster said:

My wife and I are split up on the reservation because we couldn't book a room without someone over 21 in each room. But there's no way we're sleeping in different rooms. It works out well, because she was able to get the deluxe drink package. I don't drink, so she wouldn't have been able to get the deluxe package if we were booked in the same room and we had to purchase 2 packages. 

13 hours ago, Matt said:

For bed preferences there's nothing extra or special you need to do.  Technically, you can have the request in your cruise reservation.  As an example, my TA can put a note in there for which we prefer. However, the stateroom attendant can easily separate or put the beds back together on day one.

Thank you, I suppose I will call to see if this can be added to the reservation as a request ?

10 hours ago, JerseyJoe said:

Does anything really need to be done? Is there a reason they need to know who is in which room if it's not exactly how you booked it?

From my perspective it's just to have 1 room set up with the beds together, and the other with them separate... my spouse wanted the names to be swapped so they know the girls will be in one room while we'll be in the other. I agree in that I do not think having the names swapped under the reservations would matter. 

10 hours ago, twangster said:

3 hours ago, JerseyJoe said:

My wife and I are split up on the reservation because we couldn't book a room without someone over 21 in each room. But there's no way we're sleeping in different rooms. It works out well, because she was able to get the deluxe drink package. I don't drink, so she wouldn't have been able to get the deluxe package if we were booked in the same room and we had to purchase 2 packages. 

Thanks guys, we got the deluxe drink package for all of us so this wasn't an issue, but for future reservations this is a helpful tip to avoid the "rule" with this particular package!

• 5 months later...

To clarify.

I dont drink, boyfriend does. He is now planning on switching his name to his brothers cabin so they can both have the drink package.

His brothers wife also doesn't drink so it should work out great with her in my cabin.

Obviously we have to change the reservation with royal to that effect/

Once board we go to guest services and request name change back to old cabins... or just ask for new keys and have to carry ;keys; to both cabins for rest of cruise?

possible price change for booking amount??

final payment s up in 2 weeks.

@boobook  Welcome to the boards!  Don't be shy to start a new topic to ask your question!

Yes you can change names in the cabins without repricing the reservation as long as one name stays on the original reservation (assuming you booked in North America).  So in your case, switch around to take advantage of the drink package..  When you get onboard, you will need to go to guest services to get room only keys.  You will need to carry around the key and your seapass card.