Notre dame

I went to Europe for the very first time last summer and the first thing I saw when I climbed out of the metro was Notre Dame.  We sat at a cafe across the seine from the spire with our best friends and drank wine while waiting to climb to the top.  We spent hours exploring the beautiful chapels inside.  I’m heartbroken at the loss today of so much beauty and history.  It took me 50 years to get to my bucket list trip to Paris and I’m so thankful we got to see this beautiful church.  I laugh about the yolo trips but truly thankful for the ability to travel.  We will be in debt but life is short!  What places are you all so glad you yolo booked and saw it?  Jane

Indeed.  I first saw it as a kid and later took my own kids.  Just unbelievable.  

As simple as it may be, Alaska is a destination I kept on putting off.  Sun in the Caribbean seemed better than jackets in the North.  When I finally said YOLO and booked it, after my trip I asked myself why?  Why did I wait so long to visit Alaska?  

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

Indeed.  I first saw it as a kid and later took my own kids.  Just unbelievable.  

As simple as it may be, Alaska is a destination I kept on putting off.  Sun in the Caribbean seemed better than jackets in the North.  When I finally said YOLO and booked it, after my trip I asked myself why?  Why did I wait so long to visit Alaska?  

I’ve been really thinking Alaska looks so amazing and I keep grabbing the Caribbean because I freeze all winter.  I will have to remember this!  Especially with the glaciers melting.....   of course then I started thinking about Iceland and Russian cruises.....arghhh...so many places!   Jane

We have so many visitors living over here, and they all want to go to Paris, so I have an off-the-shelf plan that features Notre Dame prominently. My sister-in-law and wife were just in Notre Dame two weeks ago, and I was planning another trip in a month for my other sister-in-law. It was shocking to hear the news last night.

As far as YOLO, we just got back from a week in Ireland and I am so glad to have crossed that off the bucket list! The cruise we took last minute to Greece was amazing too!

We're moving back stateside in 58 days, but we'll be able to say we left it all on the field as far as travel goes when we do.

A lot of the buildings in Paris look the same so that makes the incident yesterday at the Norte Dame even sadder given the unique and wonderful piece of architecture that it is.

Hoping it gets rebuilt.

As for YOLO destinations, I can't quite say that anywhere I've been yet falls into that category, especially given my desire to work on ships meaning that I may revisit many places. I think that if I went to Australia, then that may change.

Paris Spring Break 2013 was really tough with 4 kids ages 2-14.  Looking back I can tell my now 7 year old, yes you saw Notre Dame and you cried the entire time we were there.  She cried at every landmark in Paris except Disneyland Paris.  That Paris Spring Break was one of the reasons I started cruising and our first family cruise was Spring Break 2014.  I've been keeping our cruises easy to the Caribbean but I'm glad I have Alaska 2020 booked.  I may need to look at a Med cruise or SE Asia for summer 2021.

My bucket list cruises:  Galapagos, Antarctica

I dont know if I ever WENT to a YOLO....been to a lot of places but that was in my military career (spent 3 years in Holland and 4 in Gemrnay),  I got to see Rome, Florence, and Venice in my senior year in High school in a choir competition.... but as far as YOLO...that will be next year when I finally get to Alaska!  Totally splurging on this one with an aft corner...havent quite gottem myself to commit to a bear excursion ($800+ per person)

55 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

We will see the Vatican hopefully in August!  Cannot wait!  Jane

I had the distinct honor of singing in the Vatican.  The acoustics are amazing.  When the last note was sung the sound seemed to "roll" to the back of that amazing basilica.  That was 44 years ago yet I remember it clearly.

Just now, jce2 said:

I had the distinct honor of singing in the Vatican.  The acoustics are amazing.  When the last note was sung the sound seemed to "roll" to the back of that amazing basilica.  That was 44 years ago yet I remember it clearly.

How amazing!  My daughters high school band performed in Florence and Venice...it was truly a wonderful experience.  Jane

21 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

How amazing!  My daughters high school band performed in Florence and Venice...it was truly a wonderful experience.  Jane

Cool!! On that trip we visited Milan and sang at Easter mass in the Florence Cathedral...... they start the day with a parade that ends at the cathedral.  Once there they have a float with fireworks.  A firework in the form a a dove is propelled along a wire from the float to the cathedral.  It is designed to hit the end of the wire and return setting off the fireworks on the float.  A successful return means a good harvest.

• 3 weeks later...