Cuba and European guide tipping?

mom2mybugs

So we are headed to both Cuba and Europe this summer (I know most of you know that but I’m still in awe I yolo booked Cuba lol!).  What are the guidelines for tipping the bus drivers and guides on royal excursions?  I know tipping in restaurants isn’t really done in Europe so I don’t know whether I tip excursions.  Any advice is hugely appreciated!  Jane

What ever you desire. We have seen the whole gamut of tips.  Coins,1`s ,5`s,10`s, 20`s.   We did a private tour in Athens last year and gave the driver 20 and the guide 50.  It was so worth it.  Otherwise we decide after every excursion haw much we leave.  Their is no real set amount to give.  We did tip in the restaurants also while over there. Again that is personal preference.

1 minute ago, fonemanbob said:

What ever you desire. We have seen the whole gamut of tips.  Coins,1`s ,5`s,10`s, 20`s.   We did a private tour in Athens last year and gave the driver 20 and the guide 50.  It was so worth it.  Otherwise we decide after every excursion haw much we leave.  Their is no real set amount to give.  We did tip in the restaurants also while over there. Again that is personal preference.

Did you tip in Dollars or Euros?

1 minute ago, FManke said:

Did you tip in Dollars or Euros?

Actually Euros.  We brought some with that we had purchased  before leaving  and used an A.T. M. while over there. And then converted them at the airport before flying back home.  The charges we made were converted to euros. Our credit card does not charge for those transactions which also helps.  

1 minute ago, fonemanbob said:

Actually Euros.  We brought some with that we had purchased  before leaving  and used an A.T. M. while over there. And then converted them at the airport before flying back home.  The charges we made were converted to euros. Our credit card does not charge for those transactions which also helps.  

Thanks. Good information. Actually our bank here in town exchanges Euros at a pretty decent rate. My son used them last year when he went to Ireland.

For Europe its actually different from country to country , In Italy restaurants you might see something like  "ervizio incluso"  service include which mean no extra tip is expected , but if not you might be expected to give the 10-15 % . In Spain this is much different , you are not expected to tip but  its common to leave the change. regarding tour operators and drivers . for the driver few Euros (bus driver) for the guide I saw people when they  give 5- 10   Euros. also its changed from country to county and from city to city. It also very important how the first person that go down from the bus behave ? people feel more obliged to give tips if they see the person in front of them give them.

On 4/16/2019 at 7:54 AM, fonemanbob said:

I would split the tip down the middle. Information and jokes cannot be deemed more pivotal that a safe trip to and from the venue.