Roatan for a family of 4

bcarney

Family of 4 (2 kids age 7 and 9) will be stopping at this port next spring.  Any suggestions on activities that would keep all of us interested?  Looking at RC and non-RC excursions; my preference is to book through the ship but seeing the inflated prices I can easily be persuaded to book elsewhere.  Not too interested in snorkeling though - been there done that.  It's our first stop so we might want something a little more than a beach day - but what that is, I don't know. 

I don't know how much help this is really, but I can tell you what I do NOT recommend. I do NOT recommend that you take any kind of local around-the-island sightseeing tour. I have never, in my entire life, seen such pathetic and treacherous roads as those in Roatan. You literally could not go more than 10 feet without having to either go around or through a gigantic pothole. The very sad part is, the side of the island where the beautiful and expensive resorts are, has beautifully-maintained roads. The rest of the island - where the majority of the locals live - are simply horrendous.

Roatan is one of the few places where I would strongly encourage you to stick with the cruiseship excursions. The last time we were there we went on some local trip and I swear I did not think we would get back to the ship. We got stuck in the mud at least 3 times on some dirt side roads where only mules should have been. We elected not to even get out of the taxi when we got to whatever beach we were destined for...I said just take me back to the ship. I will NEVER get off at Roatan again unless I am on a ship's excursion.

I don't know how much help this is really, but I can tell you what I do NOT recommend. I do NOT recommend that you take any kind of local around-the-island sightseeing tour.

Actually information like that is helpful.  While this is our second Western Caribbean cruise, the only place we've been to before is Cozumel (and even at that it was 11 years ago) so these are all new stops for us.

I've done 'round the island' excursions before.  They were fun in St. Maarten and Grenada, but there didn't seem to be a lot to look at or visit at this island.

I'm used to gigantic potholes; I live in Michigan. They're so big they have their own ZIP codes.

We did beach day at Parrot Tree beach and it was a wonderful day.  Beautiful resort and a little of everything there: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2014/02/21/excursion-focus-parrot-tree-beach-resort-roatan

This was an independent excursion.

Thanks for the link.  Oddly enough, I commented on it two years ago and forgot about it.  It's now on my short-list.  Thanks.