Sailing out of Miami

AJB

1 hour ago, Andrew72681 said:

My biggest Con is that if you’re a southwest flyer it’s about 45 minutes to an hour back to Fort Lauderdale Airport. But as the last commenter mentioned, that view is great. Now if I could only afford one of those houses on that little peninsula. 

For savings of $300 per person I'll deal with $45 Uber ride.  That was comparing Delta fares between FLL and MIA.  Southwest might be even greater savings (compared to Delta into FLL).

For a family of four that ventures into "OMG" territory.  

Pro: Beautiful sail away 

Con: Miami traffic can be bad at times

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

For savings of $300 per person I'll deal with $45 Uber ride.  That was comparing Delta fares between FLL and MIA.  Southwest might be even greater savings (compared to Delta into FLL).

Yes, it’s definitely worth it, but still annoying. Considering with the Southwest companion pass I’m only paying for two tickets it’s hard to pass up. My Half a million delta miles never get touched because I’m never getting a positive CPM for them when the companion pass is figured in. 

3 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

Yes, it’s definitely worth it, but still annoying. Considering with the Southwest companion pass I’m only paying for two tickets it’s hard to pass up. My Half a million delta miles never get touched because I’m never getting a positive CPM for them when the companion pass is figured in. 

My named companion on SWA works in an industry where time off doesn't coincide with my cruise schedule so sadly I hardly use the companion pass to cruise and go solo a lot.

7 hours ago, twangster said:

My named companion on SWA works in an industry where time off doesn't coincide with my cruise schedule so sadly I hardly use the companion pass to cruise and go solo a lot.

Be sure to utilize your three free changes as year. Most of the time it stays my wife, but when we do guys trips to Vegas I’ll switch it to one of the guys and one of them gets to fly for free. 

Miami is my second favourite port to sail out of. Venice is the first. Beautiful backdrop for sail away:

B28F80DF-4189-4049-AE33-FEBBB58CAB3B.thumb.jpeg.a5bd82bf72e95ecc23498cec1d092bdd.jpeg

We go back and forth between flying out of FLL or MIA when cruising out of Miami. All price dependent. We don’t mind the 45 minute ride if it means a savings of $200-300pp. In July we fly to FLL and sail out of MIA. The total savings (factoring in Lyft) was over $400. 

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Miami is my second favourite port to sail out of. Venice is the first. Beautiful backdrop for sail away:

B28F80DF-4189-4049-AE33-FEBBB58CAB3B.thumb.jpeg.a5bd82bf72e95ecc23498cec1d092bdd.jpeg

We go back and forth between flying out of FLL or MIA when cruising out of Miami. All price dependent. We don’t mind the 45 minute ride if it means a savings of $200-300pp. In July we fly to FLL and sail out of MIA. The total savings (factoring in Lyft) was over $400. 

This was the same for us in January, flew in to FLL and out of MIA.

One of the cheapest flight I have bought lately for cruises was Newark, much cheaper than FLL or MIA, most expensive so far is MCO (Orlando).

For me a pro is several decent hotels near by that offer parking. We drive in the day before and spend the night. Get up refreshed, have breakfast and take the hotel shuttle to the ship. The hotels offer parking at a decent price and will pick up when you return.  We get to the ship in plenty of time without rushing. You can typically board early. Eat lunch onboard and explore until your room is ready. The ship typically leaves at 4 or 5. You watch the port fade as you head to sea and go have dinner. 

You could do something similar by flying in the day before without worrying about parking of course.

56 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Miami is actually cheaper than FLL for me to fly into for some reason. I've been checking both, and I'm sure it's subject to change.

I have found this to be true, too, sometimes.  But for me, it isn't really about the cost.  We need to fly AA b/c we both have status with AA and in order to fly AA into FLL, we have to connect, which is a no-no for me, if it can be avoided.  So we just book DCA to MIA and deal with the "commute" if there is one.

On 4/14/2019 at 11:39 PM, twangster said:

@twangster and @Lovetocruise2002 is uber the cheapest way to get to Miami from FLL? Generally under $50? 

I agree on the beauty of the sail away from Miami.  I love sailing by South Beach.  On a sad note, the jetty as you leave the harbor (I think the one on the North side) is the one hit by the Marlins pitcher, Jose Fernandez, and his friends a couple of years ago.

For us it`s all about the itinerary.  Now that we will be moving back to Fla. we will just drive everywhere.  All those connecting flights the past 10 years can be a pain.  We do a lot of non round trip flights which gets us better flights to what ever city is our final destination.  

1 hour ago, Linda216 said:

@twangster and @Lovetocruise2002 is uber the cheapest way to get to Miami from FLL? Generally under $50? 

It’s cheaper than a cab. 

I think it depends on how many people. If you were just one, than a shuttle might be equivalent but with a family, definitely not. 

Some people here have taken public transit from FLL to Miami. Others can elaborate more as I don’t know much about that. I think there is a train and bus option.

1 hour ago, Linda216 said:

Regular Uber is around $50 which works for two people but any more and you venture into Uber XL which runs more, in the $70-$80 range.

There are private shuttle companies, some offering a shared experience, some a dedicated experience.  For one or two people this might not make sense but for more perhaps.  

If you have a long wait before your flight the Tri-Rail is an inexpensive way to move between MIA airport and FLL airport.  You'd still need something to get from port to the airport.  It's a good way to kill off two hours if you have time for it and cheaper but with some work involved. 

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

Regular Uber is around $50 which works for two people but any more and you venture into Uber XL which runs more, in the $70-$80 range.

There are private shuttle companies, some offering a shared experience, some a dedicated experience.  For one or two people this might not make sense but for more perhaps.  

If you have a long wait before your flight the Tri-Rail is an inexpensive way to move between MIA airport and FLL airport.  You'd still need something to get from port to the airport.  It's a good way to kill off two hours if you have time for it and cheaper but with some work involved. 

Uber and Lyft are always right around the same price. The one caution I would give people is over the last few years we’ve had a communication gap with several of the Uber X drivers. No problems with the Uber XL or Uber Black drivers. 

From Canada it’s cheaper to fly into FLL then Miami. We always fly down the day before and rent a car.  50 dollars at most for 24 hrs. We just did this last weekend before we got on Symphony. There were six of us so we got a van and it saved us a ton of money. We use the car to get to our hotel in Miami make a Walmart run and then drop off the car back at the airport the next day and the car rental companies give you a free shuttle to the port. 

37 minutes ago, Brenda Landry said:

From Canada it’s cheaper to fly into FLL then Miami. We always fly down the day before and rent a car.  50 dollars at most for 24 hrs. We just did this last weekend before we got on Symphony. There were six of us so we got a van and it saved us a ton of money. We use the car to get to our hotel in Miami make a Walmart run and then drop off the car back at the airport the next day and the car rental companies give you a free shuttle to the port. 

Wow Brenda!  That’s great info!  So if I’m seeing cheaper flights into FLL, not only can I rent a car for about $50, but the rental co will get me to the port for free?  Looks like if I spend more to fly into Miami I’d have to pay about $20/person to get to the port! Is that all correct? Thanks for your help. 

On 4/17/2019 at 8:13 PM, Linda216 said:

Wow Brenda!  That’s great info!  So if I’m seeing cheaper flights into FLL, not only can I rent a car for about $50, but the rental co will get me to the port for free?  Looks like if I spend more to fly into Miami I’d have to pay about $20/person to get to the port! Is that all correct? Thanks for your help. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just booked a solo cruise on Oasis! For this trip, flying into MIA is less than FLL. I want to rent a car after the cruise because my flight does not leave until 3:30. Is there a rental company that will pick me up at the port? I've looked at Enterprise Airport location and Budget - with Budget the car pickup is Miami Downtown, then drop off at the airport.

5 minutes ago, Mrs. RoyalMoyal said:

I just booked a solo cruise on Oasis! For this trip, flying into MIA is less than FLL. I want to rent a car after the cruise because my flight does not leave until 3:30. Is there a rental company that will pick me up at the port? I've looked at Enterprise Airport location and Budget - with Budget the car pickup is Miami Downtown, then drop off at the airport.

Alamo/Enterprise will pick up at port and shuttle you to MIA airport for rentals.  You have to have a reservation with.  I've also seen a Hertz shuttle riding around the port.  

On 4/14/2019 at 10:12 PM, Andrew72681 said:

My biggest Con is that if you’re a southwest flyer it’s about 45 minutes to an hour back to Fort Lauderdale Airport. But as the last commenter mentioned, that view is great. Now if I could only afford one of those houses on that little peninsula. 

My wife and I cruised on Enchantment in October 2017 for our honeymoon. We fly Southwest, which doesn't fly into Miami so we flew into Fort Lauderdale the day before,  Ubered to Miami and spent the night before the cruise.

Since we mainly fly Southwest(no baggage fee for 2 checked bags), we always fly into FLL for Miami cruises. And we always use SAS transportation($15pp each way). They pick you up in a 15 passenger van but they only pick up and transport to FLL. It usually takes us 30-45 minutes depending on how many they have to pick up.