Cruise Blasphemy?

FManke

Cruising is sort of the only vacationing I have ever done.  Most of my other trips have been to visit friends or family or for concerts.  I grew up living near Disney World.  I was fortunate to have a job out of college that put me on the road to see the US, so I haven't really done any dedicated sightseeing trips.  I live close to a lot of places in the southeast that I've done extended weekends.  I had family in New Orleans and visit there often, so probably my favorite place to visit in the US.

I'm do have Hawaii on my bucket list..and in my road tripping I have managed to miss South Dakota and Vermont, so I need to find a reason to hit those to take care of the 50 states.

And I'm eager to start on international travel, but it's a bit intimidating..so I always figured a cruise would be a good way to sample that..so back to cruising again ?

I really like visiting Chicago in the Summer months, to cold during the winter.

I'm like @AshleyDillo , I've traveled a lot with work, so have seen a lot of the US, including Hawaii, I would go back to Hawaii again, but from where I live, why fly 9-10 hours when I can be in the Caribbean in 2-4.

In 2015 we visited Purta Morelos, in 2015 it was a sleepy little fishing village about half way between Cancun and Playa Del Carmen, so my understanding is that it has gotten congested and expensive, but I would still like to visit again.

I'm probably stick with cruising, but start going more International, I already have a 14day to the Mediterranean in 2020, this will be my 2nd time in the Mediterranean, would definitely like to go back and spend some time in Italy, South Pacific and a Transatlantic and Transpacific are on the bucket list.

Vegas is always on the list, but I've been out there so much in the last 2 years for conferences, it's not high on the list.

59 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

but start going more International

It's very interesting that you say this....

Many years ago, when we were still very new to cruising, we met a couple of cruising veterans in San Juan and spent an entire afternoon chatting.  They told us that one day we would no longer be "in love" with cruising in the Caribbean and we would need to branch out and start doing other kinds of itineraries.  At first glance, this seems like a very Captain Obvious kind of statement but it's taken us a while to actually get there.  We truly have evolved in our cruising style(s).  We no longer get off the ship in many of the Caribbean ports.  We are no longer satisfied with the MDR meals.  While we still LOVE cruising, we really are getting tired of cruising in the Caribbean !  Since we are still working, it is difficult for us to do the longer and more exotic itineraries, but once we retire I can see a big change to the way we cruise.  I think this happens to most long term cruisers.  You see it with the Pinnacles.  Of course they still cruise in the Caribbean from time-to-time but they definitely favor the longer and more "unusual" itineraries.  I can't WAIT until we can do some Baltic states and Persian Gulf and Pacific Island and Australia and New Zealand and Far East cruises - all back-to-back !  ? 

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

It's very interesting that you say this....

Many years ago, when we were still very new to cruising, we met a couple of cruising veterans in San Juan and spent an entire afternoon chatting.  They told us that one day we would no longer be "in love" with cruising in the Caribbean and we would need to branch out and start doing other kinds of itineraries.  At first glance, this seems like a very Captain Obvious kind of statement but it's taken us a while to actually get there.  We truly have evolved in our cruising style(s).  We no longer get off the ship in many of the Caribbean ports.  We are no longer satisfied with the MDR meals.  While we still LOVE cruising, we really are getting tired of cruising in the Caribbean !  Since we are still working, it is difficult for us to do the longer and more exotic itineraries, but once we retire I can see a big change to the way we cruise.  I think this happens to most long term cruisers.  You see it with the Pinnacles.  Of course they still cruise in the Caribbean from time-to-time but they definitely favor the longer and more "unusual" itineraries.  I can't WAIT until we can do some Baltic states and Persian Gulf and Pacific Island and Australia and New Zealand and Far East cruises - all back-to-back !  ? 

I think that might be called a World Cruise, which is also on my bucket list, the DW and Daughter still look at me like I'm crazy.

Right now 100-150 straight days on a ship seems like a blast, but maybe in reality it isn't.

17 hours ago, tiny260 said:

I really like visiting Chicago in the Summer months, to cold during the winter.

It really is nice here in the summer. One of the best summer city's there are. It can also be nice in spring and winter. Not so much this past Sun when we got 5-8 inches of snow!

Gotta love the weather in Chicago!

On 4/15/2019 at 4:25 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

We truly have evolved in our cruising style(s).  We no longer get off the ship in many of the Caribbean ports.  We are no longer satisfied with the MDR meals.  While we still LOVE cruising, we really are getting tired of cruising in the Caribbean !  Since we are still working, it is difficult for us to do the longer and more exotic itineraries, but once we retire I can see a big change to the way we cruise.  I think this happens to most long term cruisers.  You see it with the Pinnacles.  Of course they still cruise in the Caribbean from time-to-time but they definitely favor the longer and more "unusual" itineraries.  I can't WAIT until we can do some Baltic states and Persian Gulf and Pacific Island and Australia and New Zealand and Far East cruises - all back-to-back !  ? 

Being from the Frozen Mitten I can't wrap my mind around the idea of sailing to places, on purpose, where there are no palm trees... 

I couldn't pull a @monorailmedic and watch a ship sail out for a fall Canadian color cruise.  I'd be on the dock waving my hands and yelling to the Captain "you're going the wrong way!!!"

On 4/15/2019 at 5:57 PM, tiny260 said:

Right now 100-150 straight days on a ship seems like a blast, but maybe in reality it isn't.

For me...it would be the bar tab.  The number of trees that would have to die just to print off my end of cruise statement would be truly horrifying.

For land vacations, my family and I have had to settle for locations in less-than-a-day driving distance, especially when the kids were really young. Most-frequently visited places include Long Beach Island, NJ; Ocean City, MD; Lake George / Lake Placid, NY; and a one-time drive down to VA to see my brother-in-law and his family back when he lived down that way.

We've been to Disney World twice, but only when we got a financial windfall combined with some lucky timing around jobs that allowed for the trips. SOOOOOOO darned expensive!!!

On 4/16/2019 at 7:48 AM, FManke said:

It really is nice here in the summer. One of the best summer city's there are. It can also be nice in spring and winter. Not so much this past Sun when we got 5-8 inches of snow!

Gotta love the weather in Chicago!

I live in Chicago and my flight was cancelled Sunday.

We (wife and I) had our first trip overseas in Summer of 1978 spending the Summer with relatives in East Anglia, England. Since then we have visited Hawaii over 10 times (wifes parents lived there) and since then we have been to England (several times), Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Holland, France, Germany and Italy .

So this is our first cruise. Taking the Grandeur of the Seas out of Baltimore cruising to Canada on 13 June. We are both 78 and the rigors of international flying has taken it's toll on us. Now it is time to try something else that we always wanted to do but never got around to doing it. Have learned a lot of the ins and outs on here thanks to all the informed posters and their postings.

Now it is time to cruise, LOOKING FORWARD TO IT !  ?

• 1 month later...