MDR eating time.

TravisMA81

Hi.  I'm going on my first cruise in December on Oasis.  How long does it take to eat a meal in the MDR?  I think I've seen people say it can take up to an hour or more.  I'm the type of person that likes to get in and out quickly and don't like to sit around and wait for my food.  I'm ok with it the meal taking 30 min but if it takes a long time I might so somewhere else to eat.

19 minutes ago, griswold81 said:

Hi.  I'm going on my first cruise in December on Oasis.  How long does it take to eat a meal in the MDR?  I think I've seen people say it can take up to an hour or more.  I'm the type of person that likes to get in and out quickly and don't like to sit around and wait for my food.  I'm ok with it the meal taking 30 min but if it takes a long time I might so somewhere else to eat.

you might want to just eat in the windjammer then (the buffet). The MDR is not a 30 min experience. It can take up to 1-2 hours. It takes about 1 hour if you tell them to speed it up. Honestly I don't know any dining venue besides the buffet that only takes 30 min to eat. Sorry about that. I understand how you feel. 

Thanks guys.  It's not that I would need to eat fast, I don't like sitting around doing nothing.  If I eat an appetizer and sit and wait 20 minutes for for the main course, and another 20 for dessert.  If I get seated with some cool people it might go fast.

You may want to do both dining venues. The windjammer is as fast to eat at as you like.  The MDR will take at least 1 and 1/2 hours to eat a complete meal, apps, main course and dessert.  You can reduce the time if you forgo a course.  And specialty restaurants will take up to 2 hours as well.  If you like pizza, there is Sorrento's as well which is super quick.

Having gone as a single, I enjoyed my MDR time while meeting new people and the serving staff and time goes quick, though I skip desert to save time.  Honestly, I usually do late dining, I check out the WJ first and see what's there and if I "enjoy" my time there I often skip MDR. 

I dined alone in the MDR while solo cruising.  I rarely waited long for anything - they had me in and out pretty quickly. I think my longest meal was 45 minutes.  For me it was better than having food at the Windjammer, getting up to get more food and finding that my place had been taken and there was nowhere else to sit.