last minute question/check in/off ship

Hi all,

Although this isn't my first cruise, I will be doing this as a first time...Once I check in and get on the cruise, am I able to get back off the ship, go somewhere to eat and just hop back on before it departs with no issue? I will be embarking from FLL. Is there a separate line for folks who have done the check in process and just getting back on the ship? @twangster @Matt

I've never tried it a Florida port but in theory it might work.  Consecutive cruisers can leave the ship for a while and return.

If it does work, you would need to be back on board a good amount of time before sail away, like 90 minutes.  You must be present for the muster drill and the passenger manifest is sealed and delivered to the government.  

You will still have to go through the terminal security lines and the check in area at most terminals.  If your timing is bad the security lines can be long at peak check in times.

You would have to go back through the same security line as everyone coming back on. If you're wanting to get rid of your luggage before you spend your day in Fort Lauderdale you'd be better off leaving your luggage with the porters but not finishing the check-in process and then just checking in when you're ready to stay on the ship. 

I'm not a local, pinging @tonyfsu21 , but there is not really very much to do around the port of FLL, you would have to take a taxi to someplace up on 17th street for dinning.

Unless you plan is to go to a Walgreens or Publix (Also on 17th street) to do some last minute shopping you  are money ahead to get on the ship and enjoy the food that you have already paid for (And possibly drinks) and start vacation early at one of the pools, IMO.

This just wouldn’t be a great idea IMHO. Especially since your just getting something to eat. 

1. Logistics of explaining why your getting off a cruise ship you just got on to go get something to eat must be a red flag w/ customs.

2. There’s nothing in downtown Fort Lauderdale (food wise) worth going through the hassle and expense of getting off the ship for.

3. Lots of room for error. Lose track of time, problems getting a ride share, customs issue exc exc. The payoff is just not there. I would stay on the ship and enjoy your vacation waving bye bye to Fort Lauderdale as you sail out the inlet. 

2 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

This just wouldn’t be a great idea IMHO. Especially since your just getting something to eat. 

1. Logistics of explaining why your getting off a cruise ship you just got on to go get something to eat must be a red flag w/ customs.

2. There’s nothing in downtown Fort Lauderdale (food wise) worth going through the hassle and expense of getting off the ship for.

3. Lots of room for error. Lose track of time, problems getting a ride share, customs issue exc exc. The payoff is just not there. I would stay on the ship and enjoy your vacation waving bye bye to Fort Lauderdale as you sail out the inlet. 

got it ...it was more to see husbands family honestly and catch a bite with them..lol I don't care to do anything but get a tan 

Just now, tonyfsu21 said:

Granted...this was in Bayonne....but when we did our B2B in Feb we got off the ship to go into town to conduct some business.  We DID get a question from customs about where was our luggage....and we just told him that we were getting off and getting right back on and he said nothing more - motioned us on through.

It was really not any big deal at all.  We got an Uber to take us where we wanted to go, did what we needed to do and got right back on.  We were STar Class so that may have made a bit of a difference in the check-in process but I don't think it would have been an issue even if we weren't SC.  It was only slightly more involved than getting off the ship at a regular port of call.

It should also be mentioned that we were not gone more than 1 hour...so we weren't going to get caught up in some partying and forget the time....

1 minute ago, mellibee said:

got it ...it was more to see husbands family honestly and catch a bite with them..lol I don't care to do anything but get a tan 

Lol that makes a lot more sense then. At least there is a payoff of sorts seeing family. From the post it looked like you wanted to get off to get something to eat. 

2 hours ago, mellibee said:

Dropping luggage with porters then meeting with them first and checking in at a later time would be a safer and possibly less stressful idea.   If I got on the ship,   i wouldn't want to get back off LOL.     Certainly don't want to deal with doing boarding 2X.    not to mention Murphy's Law once you got back off to meet family.