Formal nights: Fanciest dresses you've seen?

SLJ

2 hours ago, SLJ said:

Do they allow you to use your own camera at the photo ops? 

At the photo ops where they have a backdrop and the area is set aside for ship photographers they typically do not allow you to walk up and use your own camera.  If you can find a nice place to take pictures where they haven't setup the professional cameras, then you can take pictures.

I often see people trying to use staircases and such but there is nothing to stop other guests from accidentally photo-bombing your pictures as they walk down the stairs.  

Generally speaking most guests are very accommodating when they see someone trying to take a family picture on the stairs but our fellow guests come from a cross section of our society and sometimes a guest couldn't care less that you are trying to capture a family moment on a public staircase.    

2 hours ago, rtread said:

We will be on a Christmas cruise.....does the dress seem more or less formal on these cruises?

I haven’t noticed a particular difference in formal-ness but many people get into the spirit (including Dan and me) with holiday adornment.  We have “naughty” and “nice” Santa hats. I am NEVER naughty.

??

How often do you get to dress up!?!?!

My family has gone not formal at all to PROM formal.  My girls were in college, but took their old prom dresses to wear again on the cruise. 

The one thing I love about cruising is the opportunity to dress up or not.  

Dont worry about others, dress up or not, based on how you feel about it, enjoy the photos, and who cares if you are out dressing everyone on the ship!  When are you going to see those people again anyways!

6 hours ago, AnnetteJackson said:

How often do you get to dress up!?!?!

My family has gone not formal at all to PROM formal.  My girls were in college, but took their old prom dresses to wear again on the cruise. 

The one thing I love about cruising is the opportunity to dress up or not.  

Dont worry about others, dress up or not, based on how you feel about it, enjoy the photos, and who cares if you are out dressing everyone on the ship!  When are you going to see those people again anyways!

So true!!  I never get to dress up anymore. Nowadays I'm either covered in my kids' snot or milk, or food splatter from cooking. :58_disappointed_relieved:  Alright, I'm gonna fancy it up like no one's business.

1 hour ago, Fuzzywuzzy said:

I like to see military members in dress uniforms, they almost always look sharp. If my wife sees a handsome naval officer in dress whites she starts to breathe funny, gets the shakes and mumbles.

I don't blame your wife. I have the exact same affliction!  lol.

14 minutes ago, FManke said:

I always have to give it to the guys in kilts. I could never pull one off, but if there was ever a time to wear a kilt, it would be formal night!

I tried to convince my husband to wear a kilt for our wedding. He refused. His uncle almost showed up in one. 

2 hours ago, SLJ said:

So true!!  I never get to dress up anymore. Nowadays I'm either covered in my kids' snot or milk, or food splatter from cooking. :58_disappointed_relieved:  Alright, I'm gonna fancy it up like no one's business.

I'm past the snot and milk covered stage fortunately, but I usually have at least one color of buttercream icing on me at all times! ?

I think its GREAT!  I have a floor length black gown I like wearing for formal night.  I love embracing formal night.  My mother has borrowed an old prom gown of mine for a cruise (was kind of funny seeing her rocking my circa 1990 peach colored prom dress but hey, like daughter like mother!) She now has a sequined jumpsuit and a silk pantsuit she uses as well.

I dont think there's anything that would be "too fancy" for formal night.  If you want to rock a ball gown, you rock that ball gown.  If you want to rock a gown with a train, you do you.  And if you want to rock a sundress or a pantsuit, you rock that pretty sundress or pantsuit.  

In the end, if you want to wear that black sequinned gown, then you rock out that gown!  Have photos taken (you dont have to purchase them), take your own photos, dance with your +1 if you have a +1.  Make it a wonderful night to remember!

On 4/12/2019 at 5:07 PM, SLJ said:

I tried to convince my husband to wear a kilt for our wedding. He refused. His uncle almost showed up in one. 

We were at wedding where all the men in the Bridal Party, plus Father of the Bride wore kilts -- it looked great!! Also, one of the guests wore a kilt, but had to be careful -- he was a tall guy, & his kilt was a leeetle short -- Ladies, you know what it's like trying to sit gracefully in a short skirt & not flash anyone ? -- well, he had the same problem.....