Federal judge threatens to stop Carnival ships from docking In US !!! YIKES !!

Interesting to see the outcome of this:

Federal judge threatens to stop Carnival ships from docking In US

Posted: 8:08 AM, April 11, 2019Updated: 8:08 AM, April 11, 2019

Carnival%20Cruise%20ship.jpg.jpg_1186075Joe Raedle/Getty Images

A federal judge has threatened to temporarily block Carnival Corp. from docking cruise ships at ports in the United States as punishment for a possible probation violation.

The Miami Herald reports U.S. District Judge Patricia Seitz said Wednesday that she’ll make a decision in June, and she wants company chairman Micky Arison to attend the hearing.

Costa%20Smeralda.jpg_15867035_ver1.0_320_180.jpg

Court filings say Miami-based Carnival has been on probation for two years as part of a $40 million settlement for illegally dumping oil into the ocean from its Princess Cruises ships and lying about the scheme. Despite this, prosecutors say ships have dumped grey water into Alaska’s Glacier Bay National Park to avoid unfavorable findings in court-ordered audits.

Carnival said in a statement that “environmental responsibility” is a top priority.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6911541/Judge-threatens-stop-Carnival-ships-docking-In-US.html

A federal judge is set to hurt Carnival big time come June.  Threatening to temporarily block all Carnival ships from docking in the US as a punishment for a possible probation violation.

They were found to be guilty of dumping grey water into the Alaska Bay National Park while they were on  5 yrs probation and a 40 million fine because Princess dumped oil back in 2017.  I believe it was also alleged of dumping plastic garbage too, and falsifying records for the auditors.  

Can you imagine...you have booked a cruise out of Baltimore, Miami, NY for Aug. with Carnival and now read this article.  Than add in the AK cruises.  Sure, no impact if you sail out of Vancouver, but sooner or later you need to dock in AK.  Princess will also be impacted.  Princess actually also owns their own private train to Denali National Park for cruisers.  $$$$  I highly doubt it will come to this level, but let's be real, when the Chairman and President are requested to attend, it might also hurt their stocks too.  

I am a cynic, so I believe in the end of the day it will be another slap on the wrist at worst, and delay, delay delay at best.  There is more at play here bc terminals like I mentioned for sail away will be screaming Bloody murder from a loss revenue aspect.  Baltimore has only  Royal Lady G and Carnival Pride...That will hurt the city and the port revenue and tax wise,  Bayonne would be fine, they could lure NCL out of NYC to take over.

However, I also believe that if the RCCL CEO is smart, they will make sure that they adhere to all regs.   That, and they may want to think about how repositioning their ships.  If worse came to worse and Carnival can't dock in AK.  Will RCCL now try to capture that market?

I agree that it is highly unlikely there will be a ban. 

However, I do see them taking a hit financially and the stockholders will not be pleased.  in the end it will not only be loss revenue if cruisers can't trust that the ships will dock, but stock investments too. They need that $$$ to remain competitive in the cruise traveling world regarding updating their ships.

19 hours ago, twangster said:

Are those the same vocal opponents to any expansion of the cruise terminal in Charleston?

Yes sir.   

The terminal in Charleston is at the foot of Market Street, which unloads all of those passengers into the 

touristy part of the city.  The complaint (not only from residents, but also from store owners) is that they 

come in droves, mill about and add to the already congested peninsula, and don't spend any money.

Well, that's the same with pretty much any port of call.  

Of course, Carnival hasn't done the industry any favors with these new findings.  No city will want them.

2 hours ago, Floski said:

Yes sir.   

The terminal in Charleston is at the foot of Market Street, which unloads all of those passengers into the 

touristy part of the city.  The complaint (not only from residents, but also from store owners) is that they 

come in droves, mill about and add to the already congested peninsula, and don't spend any money.

Well, that's the same with pretty much any port of call.  

Of course, Carnival hasn't done the industry any favors with these new findings.  No city will want them.

It's always been curious to me how many different perspectives there.  While you have the chamber of commerce citing wonderful impact you have other groups that cite the cruise industry has zero impact.  Time and again city after city cites the benefits.  Who is right?  Who is getting all this supposed money if the local business isn't?