O2matt

Allure Propulsion Issues

6 minutes ago, VinceC said:

I have been watching MarineTraffic.com and following the Allure around to see what reduced speeds it has as it travels from port to port.  The Allure's normal cruising speed is approximately 22 knots and I have been seeing it going form 17 to 20 knots, which does not seem like a big drop.  Any thoughts from anyone?

This is why for the most part few guests are impacted.  

While 22 knots may be the top speed, they would not want to always run at the ship at top speed because it consumes significantly more fuel compared to a normal cruising speed.  A more efficient cruise speed is typically 75-80% of maximum speed.  Sometimes they have to run at top speed to maintain schedule or overcome unforeseen circumstances like an excursion that is late returning guest to the ship.

Navigating between ports can be complex depending on a number of factors.  Generally speaking some buffer or leeway is built into the schedule to account for some unknowns like a pilot who is late, guests late re-boarding the ship, weather, tides, medical emergencies and a number of other items.  

Very rarely would they plan an itinerary where the ship must run at top speed all the time between all ports.   

It does mean they may need to pay closer attention to departure times including having less tolerance for guests who re-board late.  In some cases they may need to change a departure time knowing certain ports tend to have many guests returning late to the ship.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

It does mean they may need to pay closer attention to departure times including having less tolerance for guests who re-board late.  In some cases they may need to change a departure time knowing certain ports tend to have many guests returning late to the ship.  

Never want to be that guy. There were people still boarding during the muster drill on our last cruise! 

To each his own, I guess.

We just went to purchase excursions for our August 4th cruise on Allure and they have changed ports of call (added San Juan and took away St. Thomas) due to propulsion problems and said they hope to have it repaired by October 2019..so heads up if you are booked this summer on Allure...her ports of call may have changed...

They also just changed the itinerary for the May 12th sailing, skipping St Thomas entirely to go to San Juan instead, and cutting the time back by 2 hours for that port, as well as cutting back Nassau by 1.5 hours. Everyone is quite irate at the change. The vast consensus is we'd all rather go to St Thomas than San Juan.

Just got my email... They are changing itineraries as far out as middle of September...

We are due to sail 9/15 and they took away St Thomas and gave us San Juan... And shaved 3 hours off port times .. ugh

And we were REALLY looking forward to St.Thomas

Cruise Email

our August 4 cruise has been affected by this RC cut out St Thomas and replaced with San Juan{ super bummed}  and cut the hours in each port as well.  They waited for final payment day before changing it.  No compensation offered yet either.  My cruise planner was just quietly changed.

On 4/11/2019 at 3:26 PM, tiny260 said:

Hey Kayla.

You will receive your letter ours is the last week in September 2019 and we got ours today 😢 I’m cancelling tomorrow we will be in hurricane season still and propulsion problems are not ok . They should be cancelling a cruise and putting it in dry dock . Not to mention they are removing St Thomas 7am - 6 pm and exchanging it for Puerto Rico 8am to 1:30 pm on an island still struggling and very little to do ? The since it will take longer to get to the Bahamas and then home you arrive at 11am? To 6 pm not 7am - 12 midnight  !! Would have to cancel excursions at both places . No not ok

30 minutes ago, Brnslee said:

Just got my email... They are changing itineraries as far out as middle of September...

We are due to sail 9/15 and they took away St Thomas and gave us San Juan... And shaved 3 hours off port times .. ugh

And we were REALLY looking forward to St.Thomas

Cruise Email

We got ours to and if you notice Nassau is also shortened was 7 or 8 am to 7pm and now it’s a maybe arrive at 11am leave at 6 .not happy to be on this ship in hurricane season with this problem . Happened in 2017 on this ship and we were late every where and constantly missing our excursion .Im looking for another cruise . 

On 4/16/2019 at 8:22 AM, KyleinOhio said:

We cruise June 9th. I really hope this doesn't cause any issues. This is our first cruise and I've pretty much been counting the seconds since I booked it over a year ago. 54 days to go!!! :88_raised_hands:

I just got off the phone and as of now all itinerary’s are changed until November they hope the drydock that was damaged a few weeks ago will be fixed if not it will be changed until Feb 2020

I've been to St. Thomas but not San Juan, so I don't mind the change but my question is at Nassau: our excursion starts at 11am and now the ship will dock at 11. Will they push back the excursion start time accordingly? We've booked the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter through RCI. 

9 minutes ago, Schilefam said:

We have an excursion booked in Nassau too at 11:00am. I am curious to hear about this

I'm going to call them first thing tomorrow and ask about the excursion. Will let you know what they say.

I’m sailing on October 13, 2019 and just receive the same message. In our case we are arriving later to Jamaica. It’s a big issue if it takes so long to fix it. 

On 4/25/2019 at 2:21 AM, VTHappyGirl said:

If they have to run slower though should we expect itinerary changes at the very least?

On the June 23rd sailing to St Kitts/St Thomas/Nassau and don't see how you make it to St Kitts going slow and allow enough port time.

How much in advance do they tell if any itinerary change? 

Fingers crossed as the main reason for picking this cruise was the St Kitts stop.

We are sailing on June 23 and just received the email today. My husband and I have been on this ship before. That is why we chose it to take our entire family of 22 on it for our first grandchild's  graduation. This makes me nervous. I am also concerned about Puerto Rico being safe after that hurricane that wiped it out!

4 minutes ago, Schilefam said:

We are sailing on June 23 and just received the email today. My husband and I have been on this ship before. That is why we chose it to take our entire family of 22 on it for our first grandchild's  graduation. This makes me nervous. I am also concerned about Puerto Rico being safe after that hurricane that wiped it out!

Hi! I’m from Puerto Rico and everything is running almost the same as before the hurricane. The tourist areas in old San Juan are great and it would be close to the dock if you want to stay in the area. 

Just now, Jessie said:

Hi! I’m from Puerto Rico and everything is running almost the same as before the hurricane. The tourist areas in old San Juan are great and it would be close to the dock if you want to stay in the area. 

Thank you. We have stayed in Puerto Rico before after a cruise. It is beautiful. I am just being momma bear!

20 minutes ago, Schilefam said:

I just embarked out of San Juan on Freedom.  Everything is fine there.

I am curious what will happen with the November itineraries. We booked for St.kitts, St. Thomas and Cocoa Cay. If they bump us from st. Thomas And Cocoa Cay we would have to find something else. Does anyone know the difference in going to Nassau compared to Cocoa Cay as far as time and distance? 

1 hour ago, Schilefam said:

San Juan was not 'wiped out' in the hurricanes.  Make no mistake the impact was significant but it was far from being wiped out.  I've been a number of times since it re-opened.  It remains one of my favorite Caribbean ports.  Fantastic history there that has survived countless hurricanes over several centuries.  The forts there date back to the 1500's.     

10 hours ago, mamacruzy said:

our August 4 cruise has been affected by this RC cut out St Thomas and replaced with San Juan{ super bummed}  and cut the hours in each port as well.  They waited for final payment day before changing it.  No compensation offered yet either.  My cruise planner was just quietly changed.

I am on that same cruise, 25th Wedding Anniversary...  I have a Facebook Group with others traveling on the same cruise, if you would like to join us feel free to request to join at the following link....    www.facebook.com/groups/272920816922573/  Don't expect Royal to compensate for a change in itinerary, they just adjust the itinerary to fit in so it will not have any major affect on the other ports.  They took out St. Thomas and replaced with San Juan because San Juan is closer to Nassau and by being closer and traveling at a slower rate, it will not have a major affect on the Nassau port.  This problem with the Azipods has happened prior to this ship and others.  It is like anything mechanical, it does not last forever.  It like when you start to hear something weird when you are driving you car.   You don't want to take off form work to get it fixed so you have to work around it, drive a little slower until you are able to get it in the shop.   This is the same with these cruise ships.  They don't want it to have a major affect on their passengers so they try not to cancel cruise's then just make the necessary adjustments to make it work.   Royal really takes care of their customer base, especially the frequent cruiser.  They will ensure everyone has a great time on their cruise.  

Check your travel insurance policies..some of them have pre-departure port of call change prior to departure clauses which will pay out a set amount for each change in itinerary.  

I know it's definitely not available to Florida residents, but some others may benefit.