Allure Propulsion Issues

We were on a cruise first week of april -19, and I noticed that the wake from the ship mainly showed two azipod tracks. When I was visiting the bridge while sailing, I noticed that starboard azipod was running ad very reduced RPM compared to the other two, see picture.

azipod.thumb.jpg.1b98045aeaa0bcddce817855db520a41.jpg

I belive th ship is scheduled for dry dock in May?

12 minutes ago, GorgonP said:

We were on a cruise first week of april -19, and I noticed that the wake from the ship mainly showed two azipod tracks. When I was visiting the bridge while sailing, I noticed that starboard azipod was running ad very reduced RPM compared to the other two, see picture.

azipod.thumb.jpg.1b98045aeaa0bcddce817855db520a41.jpg

I belive th ship is scheduled for dry dock in May?

April 19??? Hasn't occurred yet. In 2018 maybe??? Also, Allure's dry dock is scheduled for 2020.

34 minutes ago, 12thman said:

Wouldn’t RC need to repair the azipod before peak season? Having the itinerary shortened would be bad for business. No one wants to look at an itinerary and book the cruise only later to be told it’s being shortened. 

Peak season is somewhat irrelevant.  She sails nearly full every trip.  Depending on the issue and path to resolution she may have several weeks or several months before what ever is broken can be fixed.  

Will people cancel cruises because she has to leave San Juan a little early and arrive in Labadee a little late?  I'm not so sure.  A few might but many will go with it rather than cancel a long anticipated cruise.

There will never be a good time to cancel a cruise for her repair but it also can only be done when it can be done.  If it is another dinged propellor it took many months to forge a new one last time.  She may have no choice but to limp through until what ever part(s) are required can be prepared AND time in a shipyard secured to do the work.  

Let's not forget the dry dock where they last fixed her is down at the moment.  That may take months to get back into service if it even can be.  If they had to run across the Atlantic to get the work done that's likely four cancelled cruises by the time she makes the round trip.  

The smart business decision may be to limp through.  A lot of people won't even know they have a speed restriction in effect at the moment. 

So would this issue just cause vibration or would you feel rocking and motion.  We were on allure the last week in March and we were really surprised how much we felt the ship rocking, tipping etc.  We actually felt more movement than on vision.  I assumed it was just rough waters but could this tech prob cause the boat to be less stable?  We didn’t feel any vibrating at all.  Jane

11 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

So would this issue just cause vibration or would you feel rocking and motion.  We were on allure the last week in March and we were really surprised how much we felt the ship rocking, tipping etc.  We actually felt more movement than on vision.  I assumed it was just rough waters but could this tech prob cause the boat to be less stable?  We didn’t feel any vibrating at all.  Jane

It won't cause motion.  That's the luck of sea swell.  

One azipod can't run at full speed.  That takes a few knots off her top speed.  It should have no other effect in terms rocking or motion, simply slowing her down a bit.    

1 hour ago, JohnK6404 said:

... and we're on the sailing after you! ☺️

There’s a ton of people on this board on your sailing! I keep seeing everyone mention it. Lol It’s like a mini group cruise! I’m going to try my best to live-blog for the first time so let me know if there’s anything you’d like me to check out for you.

1 hour ago, spiralqueen said:

There’s a ton of people on this board on your sailing! I keep seeing everyone mention it. Lol It’s like a mini group cruise! I’m going to try my best to live-blog for the first time so let me know if there’s anything you’d like me to check out for you.

Thanks, will do!

I will of course be one of many following your adventures very closely! :27_sunglasses:

I think as a group we'll have Allure covered for the month of May! 33 days to go (32 until we land at FLL)!

On 4/16/2019 at 7:46 AM, twangster said:

@Danaboy7591

Welcome to the message boards!

I had an 8pm sail away from Port Everglades once.  We caught a beautiful sunset over Ft. Lauderdale on our way out of port.  

Enjoy your cruise!

Than's a very good point Twangster ! I am on this late sailing, and I am looking ford to seeing the pretty sunset !

Please keep the UPDATES on the Allure coming as I am scheduled for my 25th Anniversary on August 4th out of Ft. Lauderdale.  
Current Itinerary consists of - St. Kitts, St. Thomas, & Nassau, Bahamas.....   Keeping my fingers crossed.....
If they cancel trips how far in advance do they let you know and do they try to accommodate you on any other ships?

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 6:05 PM, spiralqueen said:

I'm on the sailing right after you and would love updates on how she is sailing and feeling! 

I'm on the same sailing as you @spiralqueen !  This is our first cruise and this propulsion thing is making me a bit nervous. I've been looking forward to this for a year. I find myself checking the blog multiple times every day looking for any updates. 

26 minutes ago, SLJ said:

I'm on the same sailing as you @spiralqueen !  This is our first cruise and this propulsion thing is making me a bit nervous. I've been looking forward to this for a year. I find myself checking the blog multiple times every day looking for any updates. 

It's great to see someone else from this blog on the same sailing! I kept seeing references to people on the sailing after us but never someone on my sailing. I honestly think we will be fine and I am choosing to go with positive thinking. But yes, I also am very VERY much looking forward to this trip. 

12 minutes ago, BobNoxious said:

I have reached out to royal and they are saying that they plan to run at reduced speeds until next year's dry dock (2020).

Thank you for the update!  I'm okay with that, assuming this doesn't compromise on safety right?  I'm just happy that they don't plan to cancel. 

Royal:  Hey, Bob. The recent itinerary changes were made to reduce our speed due to the technical issues with one of three propulsion pods. Since the ship has multiple pods she’s fit to sail. We’re just being a bit cautious. As you know she’ll go into dry dock in 2020. If there’s a need to make any adjustments we’ll strive to make the smallest impact on your time with us

BobNoxious:  Thank you for the update. So, you are saying, that the plan is to run a little bit slower for the year and your plan is to address the azipod issue next may in drydock?

Royal:  Unless anything changes in which case our guests will be advised right away.

56 minutes ago, BobNoxious said:

Royal:  Hey, Bob. The recent itinerary changes were made to reduce our speed due to the technical issues with one of three propulsion pods. Since the ship has multiple pods she’s fit to sail. We’re just being a bit cautious. As you know she’ll go into dry dock in 2020. If there’s a need to make any adjustments we’ll strive to make the smallest impact on your time with us

BobNoxious:  Thank you for the update. So, you are saying, that the plan is to run a little bit slower for the year and your plan is to address the azipod issue next may in drydock?

Royal:  Unless anything changes in which case our guests will be advised right away.

I doubt it very much that AotS will last over a year without having further issues with the other azipods. This should be interesting. Hopefully, I won't get stuck next month in the middle of the ocean on AotS.

34 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

I doubt it very much that AotS will last over a year without having further issues with the other azipods. This should be interesting. Hopefully, I won't get stuck next month in the middle of the ocean on AotS.

I am on the Allure in August for my 25th Anniversary....  I hope and pray we don't have any issues...

If they have to run slower though should we expect itinerary changes at the very least?

On the June 23rd sailing to St Kitts/St Thomas/Nassau and don't see how you make it to St Kitts going slow and allow enough port time.

How much in advance do they tell if any itinerary change? 

Fingers crossed as the main reason for picking this cruise was the St Kitts stop.

22 minutes ago, VTHappyGirl said:

If they have to run slower though should we expect itinerary changes at the very least?

On the June 23rd sailing to St Kitts/St Thomas/Nassau and don't see how you make it to St Kitts going slow and allow enough port time.

How much in advance do they tell if any itinerary change? 

Fingers crossed as the main reason for picking this cruise was the St Kitts stop.

Well, I'm leaving on May 26th and I haven't received any notification of itinerary changes as of yet, but I'll let you know. 

Moving back to Port Everglades will help her in this regard.  

Port of Miami has a channel that must be transited at or near high tide (for Oasis class).  Depending how timing works out that may require leaving the previous port early or increasing speed to make a window of opportunity. Without top speed available Allure can't rely on making up time on the way so in some cases that may have involved changing departure times.

Port Everglades doesn't have this concern. She is free to enter port whenever she gets there and the port pilots can accommodate her.    

I have been watching MarineTraffic.com and following the Allure around to see what reduced speeds it has as it travels from port to port.  The Allure's normal cruising speed is approximately 22 knots and I have been seeing it going from 17 to 20 knots, which does not seem like a big drop.  Any thoughts from anyone?

6 minutes ago, VinceC said:

I have been watching MarineTraffic.com and following the Allure around to see what reduced speeds it has as it travels from port to port.  The Allure's normal cruising speed is approximately 22 knots and I have been seeing it going form 17 to 20 knots, which does not seem like a big drop.  Any thoughts from anyone?

This is why for the most part few guests are impacted.  

While 22 knots may be the top speed, they would not want to always run at the ship at top speed because it consumes significantly more fuel compared to a normal cruising speed.  A more efficient cruise speed is typically 75-80% of maximum speed.  Sometimes they have to run at top speed to maintain schedule or overcome unforeseen circumstances like an excursion that is late returning guest to the ship.

Navigating between ports can be complex depending on a number of factors.  Generally speaking some buffer or leeway is built into the schedule to account for some unknowns like a pilot who is late, guests late re-boarding the ship, weather, tides, medical emergencies and a number of other items.  

Very rarely would they plan an itinerary where the ship must run at top speed all the time between all ports.   

It does mean they may need to pay closer attention to departure times including having less tolerance for guests who re-board late.  In some cases they may need to change a departure time knowing certain ports tend to have many guests returning late to the ship.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

It does mean they may need to pay closer attention to departure times including having less tolerance for guests who re-board late.  In some cases they may need to change a departure time knowing certain ports tend to have many guests returning late to the ship.  

Never want to be that guy. There were people still boarding during the muster drill on our last cruise! 

To each his own, I guess.

We just went to purchase excursions for our August 4th cruise on Allure and they have changed ports of call (added San Juan and took away St. Thomas) due to propulsion problems and said they hope to have it repaired by October 2019..so heads up if you are booked this summer on Allure...her ports of call may have changed...

They also just changed the itinerary for the May 12th sailing, skipping St Thomas entirely to go to San Juan instead, and cutting the time back by 2 hours for that port, as well as cutting back Nassau by 1.5 hours. Everyone is quite irate at the change. The vast consensus is we'd all rather go to St Thomas than San Juan.