Which port would you skip: Roatan, Costa Maya, or Cozumel?

SLJ

Hi cruisers! 

We're going on Symphony next year and it'll be a 4-port cruise. I want to skip one of the ports to enjoy the ship. Which would you skip? 

Roatan, Costa Maya, or Cozumel?  The last port is CocoCay which I'm definitely going.

We visited Roatan on our last Symphony cruise and really enjoyed it.  Did a private tour which visited the sloth and monkey place, the chocolate factory and West Bay Beach (which is beautiful).  The tour guide was great too with lots of info on culture, etc.

We had same itinerary as you but Nassau instead of CoCo Cay so that's the one we skipped.

I'd skip Cozumel, but just because I've been-there-done-that. There is good snorkeling, downtown is decent to explore. I'd consider taxing to the beaches around the East side and bar hopping as well. Have done Xplor in Playa Del Carmen and it was neat if you like the high adventure stuff. I think we picked up a stomach bug there as about a day later half our crew of 8 had some issues. Could have gotten it somewhere else though. 

Roatan wasn't a favorite of mine, but we did really enjoy the Daniel Johnson sloth and monkey. I've heard the snorkeling/scuba is fantastic. 

Costa Maya is like a "Caribbean Mexico Theme Park" when you disembark into the port, which I'm not really into, but we've done Maya Chan both times we've been there and highly recommend it. Not one of the great beaches of the world (curse that sea grass!) but definitely some of the best hospitality, food, and just beach-chill places I've ever been to. 

5 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

We visited Roatan on our last Symphony cruise and really enjoyed it.  Did a private tour which visited the sloth and monkey place, the chocolate factory and West Bay Beach (which is beautiful).  The tour guide was great too with lots of info on culture, etc.

I'm trying to do a preliminary info gather for when I will be there in 2020. Which tour company did you use? 

1 hour ago, spiralqueen said:

I'm trying to do a preliminary info gather for when I will be there in 2020. Which tour company did you use? 

We did Cleve's Adventure and Tours.  You can customize the tour to what you'd like to do (and they'll make suggestions based on logistics and cruise timing).  We had Cleve's wife as our tour guide.  Great tour.  Thee are lots of positive reviews on Tripadvisor.

6 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I would definitely ship Roatan.  It (along with Belize) are my least favorite ports.

X2, just got back from there on Symph last week and it's a pit.  Skinny dogs , cows and dirt roads. Beaches are craggy with lots of rock. Water was clear blue, but Drinky Monkey Bar a pit too!! 

We just did this trip and LOVED Roatan. Can't understand why anyone would skip it. The area around the port isn't the best but take a ride to west end bay and its great!

We went snorkeling in that area and it was amazing. I saw real sea turtles swimming through the reef just a few feet from me. 

Cozumel and Cozumel are a been there-done that for me. It seems to be just like any other port that's been getting cruises for years. Over commercialized and boring. For god sakes there is an old navy right when you get off the ship in Cozumel. No thanks, I can get that at home. If you're looking to skip a port, those are the ones to skip.

Roatan is a must do.  

I totally agree with amathey11, we loved Roatan!!  

We went with a private tour guide, we zip lined in the rainforest saw Monkeys Iguana's and beautiful birds, toured the island and then hung out at one of the beaches that was breathtaking.

Costa Maya, I would totally skip.

Never been to Cozumel.