Travel Protection Plan

I did for my last short cruise, but for the rest I've gone to policies outside of what RCL offers. The policy that I got through RCL (and there didn't seem to be a choice unless I missed it) did not offer much in the way of trip protection and offered no medical.  Personally I need a policy that will cover me for work reasons as my PTO can be rescinded and/or I can be called back to work for court at any time. I also prefer to have some medical coverage when out of the country.  If you do at the top right hand corner of the page there's a search engine and  you may find some pretty extensive threads covering travel insurance.

I do get the Travel Protection Plan. In addition to Trip cancellation and cancellation for any reason. it offers:

"

• Trip Interruption: up to total trip cost if you can't start or finish your cruise vacation because you're sick or hurt, there's a death in the family or another covered reason
  • Trip Delay: up to $500 for catch-up expenses 
  • Accident Medical: up to $10,000 if you get hurt on your cruise vacation
  • Sickness Medical: up to $10,000 if you get sick on your cruise vacation
  • Emergency Medical Evacuation: up to $25,000 if you need emergency medical transportation
  • Baggage Protection: up to $1,500 if your bags are lost, stolen, or damaged
  • Bag Delay: up to $500 to buy necessary personal items if your bags are delayed

Having been on many ships when an evacuation had to take place, i know how common and expensive it is. I take it for no other reason than that. We are taking our two grandchildren and June and want to make sure they are covered not only for medical but accident. You never know!

I feel that the RC policy isn't enough for what I really want it for which is emergency medical evacuation.  If you were truly in an emergency and needed to be helicoptered off, I've heard that the cost can be more (minimum $10K for a medical helicopter, minimum $25K from an island to a US hospital).  I personally  get coverage in the $100K range through CF (partnered through USAA) for less than RC quotes.

You can get quotes from insuremytrip.com or squaremouth.com to compare several companies and quotes.

I know that if you book out more than 2 years, some (not all) of the better plans, e.g., cancel for any reason, etc, are not available. This happened to us with a March 2021 sailing. We had to switch insurance carriers because of it. We were able to still have cancel for any reason and because we bought the policy within 7 or 10 days of our initial deposit, we were able to keep the pre-existing medical conditions on the policy. Had we bought the policy after 10 days, we would not have been able to use the pre-existing medical condition add on.

My husband and I are in our very early 50s and we have a 14 year old son. However, my parents are in their mid 70s, with cancer and multiple sclerosis currently affecting their health. So, for this reason, we add the cancel for any reason so that if something were to happen to them, we are able to receive our money back.