power strips

We travel with our kids and have multiple devices per person (although they are rarely used as much on vacation). I purchased a Poweroni 6 port charging station to use at home and for cruising. It's pretty (which matters more at home) and has separated bays to keep the devices organized while charging. Probably only worth the money if you will also use it at home. But a multi-port USB charger of some kind is a must.

You should have gotten a picture.  We could have used it when someone asks if they are allowed and, tucked in the dozen "nope, not allowed" posts someone has to chime in that theirs wasn't confiscated that one time.  It would be a great visual to post up in response.

As far as finding your own: all items confiscated are tagged with the owner's info.  Whether someone feels it is worth going through the pile to claim theirs is another story.  I'm betting each cruise ends with piles of those either donated or junked.

I have read on several boards and seen several videos where they say that power strips are a "must have" item, thankfully just like @Andrew72681 has stated I use an Anker USB hub which provides just what we need.  I am grateful that they mistook the wife's hair straightener for a power strip one cruise otherwise I never would have known and would be waiting to pick up some items from the table of shame!

In the prohibited items FAQ, it states that "Electrical Extension Cords" are not allowed.

I read online that a power strip was OK, as long as it did NOT have a surge protection feature, like this item, however it does have a long cord that could be viewed as an extension cord. So after a little more research, I found this item, which essentially plugs in directly (with no cord), it has no surge protection, and it provides additional outlets plus 2 USB spots.

I have also purchased a USB hub, since we have a lot of devices (phones, tablets, e-reader), but it does have a cord so I hope it doesn't raise any red flags! First time cruising with kids, wish me luck!

7 hours ago, irpdickinson said:

In the prohibited items FAQ, it states that "Electrical Extension Cords" are not allowed.

I read online that a power strip was OK, as long as it did NOT have a surge protection feature, like this item, however it does have a long cord that could be viewed as an extension cord. So after a little more research, I found this item, which essentially plugs in directly (with no cord), it has no surge protection, and it provides additional outlets plus 2 USB spots.

I have also purchased a USB hub, since we have a lot of devices (phones, tablets, e-reader), but it does have a cord so I hope it doesn't raise any red flags! First time cruising with kids, wish me luck!

Welcome to the forum!

Just remember there is no such thing as compliance certification, just because someone calls their product "cruise ship compliant" doesn't mean the person running security at the port agrees.  Security personnel are not electricians, and neither are most people making YouTube videos about cruises.  If they say it's not going on board then it's not.  The USB hub will almost certainly be fine, it has no outlets.

Enjoy your cruise!

1 hour ago, NS8VN said:

, just because someone calls their product "cruise ship compliant" doesn't mean the person running security at the port agrees.  Security personnel are not electricians, and neither are most people making YouTube videos about cruises.  If they say it's not going on board then it's not.

Well said.  I think it's important for anyone reading this thread understand that while we can make some good recommendations based on our own experiences, ultimately there is always a chance the person you encounter at the port may have a differing opinion.

On 4/11/2019 at 2:33 AM, irpdickinson said:

I had a power strip with no surge protection boarding the Anthem, I pointed out it did't nave surge protection, agent at the x-ray did seem to care. 

On 4/12/2019 at 7:41 AM, NJCruisers said:

I have had this sitting in my Amazon cart for a while - now I'm second guessing myself.  Anyone use this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BHVKPC3/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A1Z5JU5NCTQDXZ&psc=1

My concern would be fitting it into the outlets.  On many ships the outlets are located just above the desk surface like this on Explorer:

678071120_ExplorerDesk.jpg.f5517565d3d25be05e8678f2e241c81d.jpg

That unit might not work because the prongs are located high on the back of it so with the deck surface so close it might not actually plug into the outlet.  If it did it might cover or hit the switch next to it. 

On ships like Anthem this is less of a concern because the outlets are higher off the desk but there are also USB outlets on Anthem so you wouldn't even need it on a newer ship.

10 hours ago, twangster said:

My concern would be fitting it into the outlets.  On many ships the outlets are located just above the desk surface like this on Explorer:

That unit might not work because the prongs are located high on the back of it so with the deck surface so close it might not actually plug into the outlet.  If it did it might cover or hit the switch next to it. 

On ships like Anthem this is less of a concern because the outlets are higher off the desk but here are also USB outlets on Anthem so would you even need it on a newer ship?

I didn't even think of that.  We're going on Freedom. & we aren't getting internet packages but will be using phones for pics here and there & then while off the ship to text family back home.  I will also have my camera which I plan to bring to a few excursions so that will need to be charged along with my Go Pro.