Cococay Cabanas

Hi jakejosa and sh2738   Our Chill Island Cabana did not have a special menue, we ate where and whatever everyone else did on CocoCay . Our cabana person was VERY reluctant to get us food & while we were asking, another cabana attendant walked by with sandwiches for her cabana she was attending to...we asked “well if you cant bring the food, what is that?” We tipp very well.. already they( RC)gets the 18% on drinks,  then we give cash of 10 % to 20% On TOP of, so it wasn’t that. Just some attendants want to work extra & some do not..we got the one that did not. We DID get drinks brought to us, about once an hour( not enough). So we did finally talk her into bringing us a sandwich from snack shack relaxed & then went thru the dive bombing pooping birds for a full place of fruit, fries, sandwiches used anither pkate to COVER my food & then headed back to the cabana to sit in the shade away from the birds. I am not exaggerating, i saw birds attacking plates of food people were holding. People were sitting on picknick tables that had sail type tarps as shade cover above,  but on the edges of the tarp  is where the birds sat and popped on the people below eating food.. yuck yuck yuckie..first and last cruise. RC knows this and could do better. 

Had a cabana two weeks ago.  We had #1.  Was informed that RC assigns numbers based on order of reservation.  The attendant told us we must have been the first to reserve.

There is power and a ceiling fan, a cooler with water,  towels, mats.  The attendant did bring drinks and lunch from the Snack Shack.  You can request snorkel gear and they give you two vouchers for the snorkel shack.  No speaker, no lock box.  There is a storage box to put your stuff in.

Later in the day the attendant brought us fresh fruit.

All and all a good experience, but not as good as our last in the old cabana location.  Also not sure price point is as good.

I miss the close bath rooms, the close bar and special lunch cook out.

2 hours ago, wstephensi said:

Had a cabana two weeks ago.  We had #1.  Was informed that RC assigns numbers based on order of reservation.  The attendant told us we must have been the first to reserve.

There is power and a ceiling fan, a cooler with water,  towels, mats.  The attendant did bring drinks and lunch from the Snack Shack.  You can request snorkel gear and they give you two vouchers for the snorkel shack.  No speaker, no lock box.  There is a storage box to put your stuff in.

Later in the day the attendant brought us fresh fruit.

All and all a good experience, but not as good as our last in the old cabana location.  Also not sure price point is as good.

I miss the close bath rooms, the close bar and special lunch cook out.

Thank you for this info! We go HOS 8/4 woohoo!  I like the idea of not rushing on board to reserve a specific cabana and just letting fate(or order of reservation) decide for us.  

On 6/24/2019 at 2:35 PM, RTripp said:

Hi jakejosa and sh2738   Our Chill Island Cabana did not have a special menue, we ate where and whatever everyone else did on CocoCay . Our cabana person was VERY reluctant to get us food & while we were asking, another cabana attendant walked by with sandwiches for her cabana she was attending to...we asked “well if you cant bring the food, what is that?” We tipp very well.. already they( RC)gets the 18% on drinks,  then we give cash of 10 % to 20% On TOP of, so it wasn’t that. Just some attendants want to work extra & some do not..we got the one that did not. We DID get drinks brought to us, about once an hour( not enough). So we did finally talk her into bringing us a sandwich from snack shack relaxed & then went thru the dive bombing pooping birds for a full place of fruit, fries, sandwiches used anither pkate to COVER my food & then headed back to the cabana to sit in the shade away from the birds. I am not exaggerating, i saw birds attacking plates of food people were holding. People were sitting on picknick tables that had sail type tarps as shade cover above,  but on the edges of the tarp  is where the birds sat and popped on the people below eating food.. yuck yuck yuckie..first and last cruise. RC knows this and could do better. 

Thanks for the information, this is disappointing news.

Hi jakesosa, one of many of the things we were disappointed in.  Promised (via comments/ highlights) when i bought the item...read thru this blog items were not provided or given... emailed RC proof via a photo they took 3 weeks to say..um no, we are wrong & misrepresented, that stuff is not included. I fought and got $ back since i had to go buy the items.  ++ ok finally unpacked and can add the pics. (RC could not provide them for me via email and took 2 weeks to tell me they could not??). Three person undercover sofa, Two comfy chairs, round cooler that lid lifts filled with 8 Evian iced waters, large wooden toy box flip lid/seat,  6 towels, good ceiling to keep out rain,  ceiling fan, switch for fan, an OUTLET!!! to plug in your speaker that YOU must bring and was not provided, ++the prized NEWEST COCOCAY Chill Island Cabanas numbered MAP***!! We were in #10, farthest from bathroom, from bar, from food(NO special menu, NO special food) you eat what everyone else on the Island eats. Good choices and hot food. #10 was  right next to rocks. NO issues with birds, probably because our Cabana person would not get us food. Only brought drinks about once an hour, talked her into getting us food when we saw other cabanas persons bringing. The Chill Island Cabanas are staggered so really EVERYONE had a GREAT view, just 1 to 10 were forward, the 11 to 20 were farther back, but NOT blocked view of ship . Happy cruising everyone, cabanas worth it, it rained and we stayed dry.

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0378.JPG

IMG_0377.JPG

IMG_0376.JPG

IMG_0374.JPG

IMG_0373.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0324.JPG

IMG_0320.JPG

Edited by RTripp
adding photos.

Hello all, just got back from CocoCay June 2019 HOTS. Not much info on the Chill Island Cabana so here ya go:  the NEWEST MAP and of course RC added TEN more Chill Island Cabanas (the going rate 2 weeks before cruise was $1200 yes twelve HUNDRED dollars) Need I say more on why the cabanas are smaller and squished together.. All had a good view, NONE blocked each others view, staggered nicely. Included three person couch, two comfy chairs, toy box lid/seat, round cooler filled with 8 Evian iced waters & lid lifts up, in sun were 2 full chaise loungers, 2 long floattie mats, good roof that kept out the rain, ceiling fan, switch for far, and **OUTLET** NO special menu you eat what everyone else on island eats, total of EIGHT people allow and they get wrist bands so make them loose so you can switch people out. Food on island was very plentiful, good choices and hot. Cabana person came around about once an hour and brought drinks only. Had to talk her into bringing a burger, she surprise us with desert. This was Chill Island Cabana #10, farthest away from bathrooms, bar and food- right next to rocks. NO bird issues since no food brought to us and we did not feed them or let them dive bomb us for food.

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0378.JPG

IMG_0377.JPG

IMG_0375.JPG

IMG_0374.JPG

IMG_0373.JPG

IMG_0330.JPG

IMG_0320.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

• 1 month later...

So my family is thinking of renting a cabana. Problem is we have a group of 10 (6 adults, two teens, one 6 year old and one 3 year old). The 3 year old doesn’t “count” when renting a cabana from my limited knowledge. But that still leaves us with 9 and we don’t know how strict they are with letting an extra person in the cabana. 

Any suggestions?   I honestly don’t envision all 10 of us ever in the cabana at the same time. Just need to figure out what to do. 

Thanks!

15 hours ago, Loris said:

But that still leaves us with 9 and we don’t know how strict they are with letting an extra person in the cabana. 

You will get wristbands when you check in at the cabanas.  They will only give you as many wristbands as your cabana officially holds. 

Whether or not they will actually check to make sure everyone in the cabana area has a wristband when you visit, can't really say.  But they do have the right to enforce it and the wristbands are how they tell.

The pricing for the cabanas on my Jan 2020 sailing are going nuts on my planner. I was thinking about purchasing one then canceling once the overwater ones finally show up. Chill Islands are currently priced at $1,200!!! That's just insane, especially after seeing what you get in the pictures.  I know pricing can fluctuate but the pricing sheet i saw had overwaters listed for only slightly more than that!

On my Disney cruise the cabana was one of the highlights of the entire trip. It seems you don't get as much space or privacy, at least on the normal cabanas. It seems like a night and day difference. Anyone had both a Disney and Coco cabanas that would like to state their comparison of the 2?

I guess it's overwater or bust for me. Hopefully they don't show up at 3k or something...

We had an Oasis Lagoon Cabana June 26th.   (We were in #23).  It DID have a lockable safe.  I wish I would have taken more detailed photos of it, but I just wasn’t thinking at the time.  Our attendant came frequently, as a matter of fact every time someone was actually in the cabana they got a visit. Lol!  Anyway, there is a long couch, two chairs, a coffee table with open storage on one and and the lockable safe on the other end, the round cooler with ice and bottles of water, towels, the ceiling fan, outlets, and lounge chairs in front.  The menu they bring to order from is the Snack Shack menu, so it includes the hamburger, crispy chicken sandwich, I think fries, onion rings, cheese sticks, I believe a couple of salads, and the famous funnel cakes.  Also, our attendant brought drinks whenever asked.  There were also servers constantly walking around the pool and serving.   We did just make the short walk to the buffet for lunch.  It was extensive and yummy.  There were many gulls around the buffet eating areas, but there was also Royal staff whose job it seemed to be to keep the, at bay.  We noticed them, but were not bothered by them.  

We booked our Cabana early for $379.   It was a great deal, and as supply and demand increase, it seems clear the prices will go way up.  I loved the experience, but also don’t think it’s necessary.  There are so many chairs and umbrellas as well as numerous complimentary lockers and servers roaming around the Lagoon pool, that we’d be perfectly content not spending a dime!

CE6719E0-EA8A-4C81-B78B-AD2F58D4D3C4.jpeg

57AD237C-836D-404C-9753-9F868C18A6ED.jpeg

Has anyone stayed in a thrill waterpark cabana?  I know we can't reserve a specific one but we're spoiling ourselves with a star class cruise in December and am going to ask my Genie to hold a specific cabana for us.   We want to be near the action (4 boys with us), but not so close that it's overwhelming.   Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, DJsMrs said:

Has anyone stayed in a thrill waterpark cabana?  I know we can't reserve a specific one but we're spoiling ourselves with a star class cruise in December and am going to ask my Genie to hold a specific cabana for us.   We want to be near the action (4 boys with us), but not so close that it's overwhelming.   Thanks in advance.

At the moment, the Genie cannot get a cabana for you if it is already sold out.  They have no priority for Star Class in Coco Cay at the moment.  What you should do is purchase the cabana on your cruise planner and then when your Genie contacts you, ask for a specific number (ie. Cabana 1 or 2, etc.).  The Genies have had luck grabbing a specific cabana for you but only if they are not sold out.  So make sure you purchase on your own first.

Ugh...the Chill Island Cabanas have gotten noticeably smaller now that there is so many more of them with the restructure.  Since I won't be there till April...I am patiently waiting for the Beach Club over water to open up and move into one of those instead.....till then....I've got my Chill Island reservation set.

18 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

At the moment, the Genie cannot get a cabana for you if it is already sold out.  They have no priority for Star Class in Coco Cay at the moment.  What you should do is purchase the cabana on your cruise planner and then when your Genie contacts you, ask for a specific number (ie. Cabana 1 or 2, etc.).  The Genies have had luck grabbing a specific cabana for you but only if they are not sold out.  So make sure you purchase on your own first.

Yup - we've already bought the cabana - I just don't want to be on the receiving end of a wall of water every time someone comes down a slide ?

12 hours ago, dodgestang said:

Ugh...the Chill Island Cabanas have gotten noticeably smaller now that there is so many more of them with the restructure.  Since I won't be there till April...I am patiently waiting for the Beach Club over water to open up and move into one of those instead.....till then....I've got my Chill Island reservation set.

I could very well be wrong, but I believe I read that the extra cabanas as Chill Island are borrowed from South Beach. Once construction is finished there and the area opens back up (December 2019?) I would imagine those extra cabanas would migrate back over there. 

I'm sure someone else can confirm or deny this. But I hope the little bit of crowding these have is relieved when construction is done! ?

@Ala_Paul  what I think  @dodgestang is talking about is the actual size of the cabana.  Prior to new day the Chill cabana had an additional deck which was a step down from the main cabana.  They placed 2 loungers there.  That decking is gone now and the additional loungers are placed right out in the front of the cabana.  Some cruisers have complained about this because with the removal of that secondary decking makes it is a higher step up to the cabana.  

Even if they remove these cabanas, I highly doubt they will bring back the second tier, hence the cabana will feel smaller in size.  

I would love to do an overwater cabana, but seeing as it starts at 899 I would think you'd be lucky to get one at that price.  My guess is it will be much higher.  If I was going in a group of 8, and the cost was 1200, I probably would pay for it.  I look at it from an excursion cost aspect.  It would come out to 150 pp for 8 hrs.  That is not a very expensive excursion when you compare it to spending 75 for a 45 min jet ski.    My hubby and I are beach/water babies, so than again, I probably would still take the chill at the lower price.

3 minutes ago, Pima1988 said:

I would love to do an overwater cabana, but seeing as it starts at 899 I would think you'd be lucky to get one at that price.  My guess is it will be much higher.  If I was going in a group of 8, and the cost was 1200, I probably would pay for it.  I look at it from an excursion cost aspect.  It would come out to 150 pp for 8 hrs.  That is not a very expensive excursion when you compare it to spending 75 for a 45 min jet ski.    My hubby and I are beach/water babies, so than again, I probably would still take the chill at the lower price.

The pricing I've heard is closer to $2,500 for overwater cabanas for 8 guests, somewhat less for 6 guests.  This includes entry to Coco Beach Club so the pricing will be higher than non-Coco Beach Beach cabanas.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

The pricing I've heard is closer to $2,500 for overwater cabanas for 8 guests, somewhat less for 6 guests.  This includes entry to Coco Beach Club so the pricing will be higher than non-Coco Beach Beach cabanas.

I haven't heard/seen any pricing....but I do ping RC Facebook from time to time...as of this morning I was told to just keep checking cruise planner for when Overwater cabanas at the Coco Beach club might become available for reservations.  ? 

2 hours ago, Pima1988 said:

@Ala_Paul  what I think  @dodgestang is talking about is the actual size of the cabana. 

Yes, they are completely different.  They don't appear to have reused much if anything from the original ones, they seen narrower as well as not having the front 'deck' or 'porch'

This is Dec 2018

DSC02422.thumb.JPG.3341c2d96a90e1af532aaeab4254e9fa.JPG

This is current from previously in this thread

IMG_0320.thumb.JPG.31767dd6aeaf664c421e92b8dbfb2658.JPG.c23bec9a3f2223f8efbcaaee74851ec2.JPG

The picture of the new design is missing the coffee table, unless they decided to move it against a wall.  We only had the cabana last month so I know there is a coffee table (that is where the safe is located.

That cabana looks to be number 9.  I say that because we had #10 and the cabana behind in the picture is the farthest out.  Since we had 10 I know we were the closest to the rock area.  

Now if you also look at the old cabana vs the new, you will see that if you remove that 2nd tier deck, and look at the 4 loungers against both, they are the same size without the deck.

OBTW, RCL is assigning the cabanas now.  It is still 1st come 1st served.  It is tied to your reservation of the cabana, not when you booked the cruise.   We booked our cabana on the same day we booked the cruise.  10 months out.  We were cabana number 10.  

There is an enclosed beach/swim area for cabana only customers.  It is not big, nor is it small.  However you do get to meet a lot of them if you are like us...in the water non-stop. Think about it the most they will have in that area is 160 people (20 cabanas X  8 people)  From what I could tell by talking to many is that the 1st 10 all got their cabanas in the 400 range.  The back row ranged from 649-899 because they booked later.  

I will say we loved every second.  We had a phenomenal attendant.  10 a.m. she brought over slices of pineapple, cantelope and watermelon with our menus.  11 a.m she took our food orders. I would not suggest the Portobello sandwich, but the funnel cake was amazing, so was the greek salad.  My brother in law basically ordered 5 items (high metabolism and athletic).  He got the Portobello too, grilled chicken,, Caesar salad, can't remember the last item, and the salted caramel brownie.  The salads are huge.  We got our food around 11:30 -11:45.  @ 2:30 -3:00 she came carrying fruit kebabs.  In between during the entire day, we saw her every 15-20 mins.  They are extremely attentive.  I ordered my 1st drink and said to her, just leave it on the table bc I am going to bathroom.   Cabana 10 is the farthest out (90 second walk, 2 mins at tops).  I walk out of the bathroom and there she was drink on the tray waiting for me.  OMG?.  Later on I was on the float mat and she screams out to me...MS. Pima, do you or Mr. Pima need a drink?  I ordered one and said Mr. Pima was snorkeling, but I am sure when he comes back he will want his usual.  My drink arrived and on my float mat, I paddled to her.  At that time she saw him coming back in from snorkeling.  I thought nothing about it.  He took off his gear and came and floated with me.  30 seconds later she screamed...Mr. Pima, with his usual drink on her tray.  He looked at me, and said we can never go back to not having a cabana ever again...it is like what posters say about 1x you go to a balcony, it is hard to go to an oceanview or 1x you go to a suite it is hard to go back to a balcony.

Our attendant wasn't the only one that did this.  It was non-stop of attendants on the edge of the water.  

I will say I did have a pet peeve, but that had more to do with a certain cabana.  As I stated earlier in the post, the beach/swim area is not small, but not huge either.  There are fish in that area, and Coco Cay is known for the birds that steal food.  This one cabana decided to bring a bag of Veggie straws with them off the ship (if you don't know what they are, basically it is vegetable potato chip)   They walked in the water and started to feed the fish.  Of course the fish would jump up to get it.  They laughed...the rest of us are cringing and saying you don't know if fish can eat that.  Their response, it is vegetables! (BS if you ever read the ingredients).  Their tone was mind your own business.  The fish than began pooling around them and jumping up out of water as soon as their hand came close, so than they pulled their hand back, and guess what...the seagulls start grabbing them from his hand.  They thought this was hysterical.  Take a pic, take a pic. is all they kept saying.  Meanwhile,  anybody with common sense in their brain had to get out of the water because the gulls were swooping in from all over the place.  Their cabana attendant had to come to the edge and tell them to knock it off.  They argued with her.  She got back up from the staff.  They reluctantly came out and beaaccched the whole way back to the cabana...we were just having fun and feeding them, what was the problem?  We of course had the last laugh.  Seagulls know where the food is coming from.  As soon as they left the water. the gulls did too, only to follow them to their cabana.   Later on that night we were at Schooners, we had an amazing piano player.  They sat a table or two away from us, and were stating I would never do a cabana again.  the service was great, but later in the afternoon we were swarmed by seagulls non-stop....wonder why?

Random question regarding the cabana assignments--does anyone know if one person books two cabanas, will RCCL put those two together? We have a group of 14 going next spring and we were thinking about getting two cabanas, but were obviously hoping to get two side-by-side. I didn't know if just having one person book both of them would tell the system to put them together. Thanks!

Just my guess, but the answer would be if 1 person booked both than they would place them next to each other since they now assigned by booking date of the cabana.

The only caveat would be cabana 10 and 11.  Cabana 10 is front row, 11 is diagonally behind them on the 2nd row.

My suggestion would be to talk to your TA or RCL directly.

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's not really a cabana, but are beach loungers and/or bungalows on the island still? First time RCCL cruiser and I'm getting confused with all the options from before it was Perfect Day. I don't see the loungers or bungalows in my Cruise Planner to pre-book, so are they either not there anymore or just not available to book prior arrival?

18 minutes ago, yellowfish78 said:

I know it's not really a cabana, but are beach loungers and/or bungalows on the island still? First time RCCL cruiser and I'm getting confused with all the options from before it was Perfect Day. I don't see the loungers or bungalows in my Cruise Planner to pre-book, so are they either not there anymore or just not available to book prior arrival?

Loungers are still free and there are plenty of them.  Beach beds/Cabanas are not free.

On 9/7/2019 at 12:01 PM, tmp916 said:

Loungers are still free and there are plenty of them.  Beach beds/Cabanas are not free.

Aren't the beach loungers the "clamshells"?  I thought those weren't free.  Watching a YouTube video from January of this year it shows the loungers/clamshells, bungalows, cabanas and beach beds. I guess I'm just getting confused. 

Clamshells have a different type of umbrella attached to the 2 loungers.  They are not free, but are inexpensive and sell out very quickly.  I would say on my cruise they were sold out @ 6-7 mos prior.

What @tmp916 is talking about our the single loungers  where you can request the smaller umbrella that are free. 

Just like the beds, bungalows, and cabanas the clamshells are not in the area where the free loungers are located.  They are placed together so that people who have not been to Coco Cay or looked on the planner can just grab it thinking oh this cool, let's take that instead.  

14 minutes ago, yellowfish78 said:

Aren't the beach loungers the "clamshells"?  I thought those weren't free.  Watching a YouTube video from January of this year it shows the loungers/clamshells, bungalows, cabanas and beach beds. I guess I'm just getting confused. 

Clamshells have not been seen for a few months.  These are the blue and white half shell covers that went along with 2 loungers.  Individual loungers are still included at no cost, however there is no option for the clamshell at the moment.

Here is a picture of clamshells from last year.

2zB71Mw.jpg

Other options suchs as beds, bungalows and cabanas remain but in some cases in different locations while they built Coco Beach Club and South Beach.  Once those areas are built out perhaps the clamshells will return.

@Millie  It is not a buffet.  Your attendant will come to your cabana with a limited varied menu.    You can order as much as you want.  They have things like greek and casear salads, which you can add grilled or fried chicken breasts.  They also have other sandwiches like Portobello mushroom, along with chicken breast.  I believe it was only 3 desserts, funnel cake is the best impo.  I believe the menu is the same as the snack shack, and yes, you can order the off menu chicken parm sandwich..

Your attendant will bring you fresh fruit slices (pineapple, watermelon and cantelope) in the a.m. @ the same time they drop off the menu.  I would say it takes about 30-45 mins for them to deliver your order to the cabana once you place it.   @2-3 pm they will bring to you fruit kebabs.  

The chill grill is maybe a 2 minute walk from the farthest cabana.  That is where you can get the full buffet.  I would not suggest you carry any food back to the cabana, unless you place it in a to go box, and close it tightly.  The sea gulls live by the Chill Grill and if you try to walk back with an open plate of food chances are by the time you get back to your cabana there will be no food on the plate bc the gulls swooped in and took it while you were walking, and now you will have invited them to your cabana where they will hang out around until they realize they can't get anymore food.

OBTW, the portions they deliver are of good size.  Everyone in our cabana ordered a sandwich, a salad and a dessert.  Nobody finished their meals. 

• 4 months later...
On 8/17/2019 at 12:26 PM, dodgestang said:

I haven't heard/seen any pricing....but I do ping RC Facebook from time to time...as of this morning I was told to just keep checking cruise planner for when Overwater cabanas at the Coco Beach club might become available for reservations.  ? 

I was just in an overwater this past saturday. The price I locked in months ago was $1,499. I was looking every day for decreases. Only thing I saw were increases. Right before my sailing the final price was at $1,649.