Nassau safety

JerseyJoe

I know that warnings have been issued for tourists in Nassau. Because of this, we will probably opt for one of the private island excursions (Blue Lagoon, Balmoral Island, Pearl Island...). I have watched some YouTube videos of people walking to Junkaroo beach and other places, and they pass by some shady-looking areas. This concerns me, especially since we will have our kids with us, and they might be scared by the aggressive straw market sales tactics.

So, I have a couple questions:

1. If you book an excursion through RC, do you need to leave the port (and through some shady areas) to get to the transportation for the excursions, or does it pick you up right there?
  2. If you've done one or more of the private island excursions, I'd love to hear your thoughts on them. We really aren't interested in the dolphin, sea lion, or stingray experiences (although might be cool to be able to watch other people doing it for a few minutes). We would be more into a beach day, maybe some snorkeling and paddle boarding or kayaking.

13 hours ago, JerseyJoe said:

I know that warnings have been issued for tourists in Nassau. Because of this, we will probably opt for one of the private island excursions (Blue Lagoon, Balmoral Island, Pearl Island...). I have watched some YouTube videos of people walking to Junkaroo beach and other places, and they pass by some shady-looking areas. This concerns me, especially since we will have our kids with us, and they might be scared by the aggressive straw market sales tactics.

So, I have a couple questions:

1. If you book an excursion through RC, do you need to leave the port (and through some shady areas) to get to the transportation for the excursions, or does it pick you up right there?
  2. If you've done one or more of the private island excursions, I'd love to hear your thoughts on them. We really aren't interested in the dolphin, sea lion, or stingray experiences (although might be cool to be able to watch other people doing it for a few minutes). We would be more into a beach day, maybe some snorkeling and paddle boarding or kayaking.

I went to Blue Lagoon in February.  It's quite lovely - there was only one ship in Nassau that day so Blue Lagoon was very, very, quiet and relaxing.  I did the Eco Walk (it wasn't much of an Eco walk since there's truly not a lot of Eco on the island - frankly I knew more about the natural history of at least the birds on the island than the tour guide did, but he was very funny and I still enjoyed my time).  I can only speak for Blue Lagoon - we met right outside of the ship as a group and walked down to the end of the pier to the boats that took us to the island.  I didn't snorkel but I thought the beach was lovely and the water was clear.  I spent most of the time walking the island or lazing in a hammock under the trees.   Enjoy whatever you end up doing!

While this doesn't answer your question, I can vouch for the fact that its not "shady" to walk to Junakoo beach.

I have been to Nassau about a dozen times in the past 5 years and always explore on foot all around the downtown area. Nothing to be worried about. A few pushy vendors, but that's normal at any stop.

If your kids are scared by the straw market people.....not sure if travelling  is something you should be doing with them. I have experienced way more sketchy places in America and Canada than the straw market to be honest....

28 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

While this doesn't answer your question, I can vouch for the fact that its not "shady" to walk to Junakoo beach.

I have been to Nassau about a dozen times in the past 5 years and always explore on foot all around the downtown area. Nothing to be worried about. A few pushy vendors, but that's normal at any stop.

If your kids are scared by the straw market people.....not sure if travelling  is something you should be doing with them. I have experienced way more sketchy places in America and Canada than the straw market to be honest....

Good to know, thanks

8 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I went to Blue Lagoon in February.  It's quite lovely - there was only one ship in Nassau that day so Blue Lagoon was very, very, quiet and relaxing.  I did the Eco Walk (it wasn't much of an Eco walk since there's truly not a lot of Eco on the island - frankly I knew more about the natural history of at least the birds on the island than the tour guide did, but he was very funny and I still enjoyed my time).  I can only speak for Blue Lagoon - we met right outside of the ship as a group and walked down to the end of the pier to the boats that took us to the island.  I didn't snorkel but I thought the beach was lovely and the water was clear.  I spent most of the time walking the island or lazing in a hammock under the trees.   Enjoy whatever you end up doing!

Would you say Blue Lagoon was worth the money, or did you find yourself wishing you had picked something else?

I would have no concerns for safety if using a RCCL tour. I have walked to Junkaroo beach with my daughter and granddaughter and felt safe. Straw market is safe but I can see where some people, especially a younger child, may be intimidated. Venders, esp hair braiders can be overly pushy, but a firm "no" will do. That said I personally would not walk around after dark outside of port area.