twangster

Give Me Liberty, or ...not. An Insurance Claim Live Blog

37 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

Maybe it depends on the state? When I looked up the policy for Travel LX in NJ, there seems to be a "donut hole" where Cancel For Any Reason requires 2 days before the departure date, and Interruption For Any Reason doesn't kick in until 2 days after the departure date.  Not sure what coverage there is in the middle.  I could just be reading it wrong.

https://www.itravelinsured.com/forms/iTIPolicyWording_T210-IP-LX-0417.pdf

Cancel for Any Reason Benefit

If You cancel Your Trip for any reason not otherwise covered by this Policy, benefits will be paid for seventy-fivepercent (75%) of the Prepaid, forfeited, non-refundable Payments or Deposits You paid for Your Trip provided:(a) Your Payment or Deposit for this Policy and enrollment form are received twenty (20) days of the date Your initial Payment or Deposit for Your Trip is received; and;(b) You insure one hundred percent (100%) of the Prepaid Trip costs that are subject to cancellation penalties or restrictions and also insure within twenty (20) days of the Payment or Deposit for those Travel Arrangements the cost of any subsequent Travel Arrangements (or any other Travel Arrangements not made through Your travel agent) added to Your Trip; and(c) You cancel Your Trip two (2) days or more before Your Scheduled Departure Date.These benefits will not duplicate any other benefits payable under the Policy or any coverage(s) attached to the Policy.

Interruption for Any Reason Benefit

If You interrupt Your Trip, forty-eight (48) hours or more after Your actual Departure Date, for any reason not otherwise covered by this Policy, benefits will be paid, up to: seventy-five percent (75%) of the total amount of coverage You purchased, to reimburse You for the Prepaid Payments or Deposits for unused non-refundable land or water Travel Arrangements.These benefits will not duplicate any other benefits payable under the Policy or any coverage(s) attached to the Policy.

The more I read the fine print on all of this insurance, the less I want to purchase it in the future 🙂

Go back to page 4, Section II, Trip Cancellation, this part would cover those 48 hours before your trip (I, too, am looking at your NJ doc for discussion, not my state, ). Then, there is the Cancel for Any Reason which is separate from this previously mentioned coverage. The CFAR is for ANY reason. . . dog died, garbage disposal blew up, ANY (yes, even stupid) reason. Yep, if your dog dies within 48 hours of travel, then too bad, you're going on vacation. Forty-nine hours earlier, you could have made your claim. Regarding the 48 hours after the start of your trip, Missed Connection or Travel Delay would kick in, here, to JOIN your trip. If you have to stop your trip, look further into the reasons to leave the tour/cruise (check out page 6 under "Other Covered Reasons"). 

Adding to Edit: I will call my agent and pose your questions to her and update later. I love picking apart these docs. Yes, I like to do taxes, too. It's an illness, I guess.

Edited by Baked Alaska

12 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

Go back to page 4, Section II, Trip Cancellation, this part would cover those 48 hours before your trip (I, too, am looking at your NJ doc for discussion, not my state, ). Then, there is the Cancel for Any Reason which is separate from this previously mentioned coverage. The CFAR is for ANY reason. . . dog died, garbage disposal blew up, ANY (yes, even stupid) reason. Yep, if your dog dies within 48 hours of travel, then too bad, you're going on vacation. Forty-nine hours earlier, you could have made your claim. Regarding the 48 hours after the start of your trip, Missed Connection or Travel Delay would kick in, here, to JOIN your trip. If you have to stop your trip, look further into the reasons to leave the tour/cruise (check out page 6 under "Other Covered Reasons"). 

Adding to Edit: I will call my agent and pose your questions to her and update later. I love picking apart these docs. Yes, I like to do taxes, too. It's an illness, I guess.

I think the key bit is that Cancel for Any Reason is different then Interruption for Any Reason, and you found a rare policy that covers both.  I didn't even know that existed.  Looks like Travel Insured may also have this special coverage.

So if your dog isn't getting along with the other dogs in the Kennel, you can come home early.  But you need to give Fido 2 days to try to adjust before you give up on the trip.

And the other key bit we have learned is that every policy is slightly different, and it pays to read the fine print.

The aggravating part is that twangster also seems like a person who reads the fine print, and is very careful with details, but he is still having issues with his claim.

Royal's coverage is provided by Aon and Arch.  Coverage varies by state, you can enter your state here to see what applies in your home state:

https://www.archinsurancesolutions.com/coverage/Royal

For Colorado it includes two versions of cancellation coverage. 

In my case it appears the second "Any Reason" coverage would have provided a 75% cruise credit since I had time to notify them prior to the ship's departure.

The first cancellation coverage applies to a select few covered reason and reimburses at 100% in cash. 

• Cancellation Penalty Waiver.…............................................................Cash Refund Up To Total Cruise Vacation Cost This Cancellation Penalty Waiver is an addendum to your cruise ticket contract. Through the Travel Protection Program, Royal Caribbean International will waive their standard cancellation provision and refund to you IN CASH the otherwise non-refundable value of the unused portion of your prepaid cruise vacation, should you or your traveling companion need to cancel your cruise vacation for any one of the following reasons (subject to the restrictions noted below*).
  1. sickness, injury, or death of yourself, a traveling companion or members of either of your immediate families, which is diagnosed and treated by a physician at the time your cruise vacation is terminated;
  2. involvement in a traffic accident, en route to departure, that causes you to miss your cruise;
  3. your home is made uninhabitable by a natural disaster such as fire, flood, earthquake, hurricane or volcano;
  4. you are called into active duty by the military to provide aid or relief as a result of a natural disaster;
  5. subpoena or being called to serve for jury duty.
  • Cancellation Penalty Waiver refunds are also provided if you are charged a change in occupancy/single supplement charge as a result of your traveling companion’s cancellation due to one of the reasons cited above. Please advise your travel agent, Royal Caribbean International or the Program Administrator as soon as possible in the event of cancellation. Refunds will not be provided for additional charges incurred that would not have been charged had you notified these parties as soon as reasonably possible.
  • *Please note the following restrictions: Royal Caribbean International will not waive their cancellation penalty and provide a cash refund, should you cancel your cruise vacation for any of the following reasons:
  1. a condition that first presents, worsens, becomes acute or has symptoms causing a person to seek diagnosis, care or treatment, or prompts a change in medication, during the 60 days before you purchased this waiver;
  2. mental, nervous or psychological disorders, or normal pregnancy, unless hospitalized; elective abortion; drugs or intoxicants, unless prescribed by a Physician; 
  3. business, contractual or educational obligations of you, an immediate family member, or traveling companion;
  4. declared or undeclared war, or any act of war;
  5. service in the armed forces of any country;
  6. any unlawful acts, committed by you or a traveling companion;
  7. other condition, event or circumstance occurring prior to your purchase of the Travel Protection Program.

The second form of cancellation coverage is more of a CFAR and includes 75% FCC or "Any Reason" cruise credits.  There is no 2 day notice prior to sailing requirement in Colorado.

• “Any Reason” Cruise Credits…............................equal to 75% of the non-refundable pre-paid Cruise Vacation Cost In the event that you choose to cancel for a reason not authorized above or for a reason that is otherwise restricted, at any time up until departure, and you have purchased the Royal Caribbean Travel Protection Program, Royal Caribbean International will provide you a cruise credit equal to 75% of the non-refundable value (excluding AIR2SEA) of your Cruise Vacation prepaid to Royal Caribbean International, for your use toward a future cruise. This additional enhancement is offered by Royal Caribbean International as a special service to guests that purchase this cruise ticket Cancellation Penalty Waiver Addendum. Certain restrictions on the use of these cruise credits (such as blackout periods) may apply. Credits are valid for one year from issue date, are not transferable, and have no cash value. To be eligible for credits, notification of cancellation must be given to Royal Caribbean International prior to the ship’s departure. Once you’ve cancelled with Royal Caribbean International, please contact the Royal Caribbean Travel Protection Program Help Line at 1-800-453-4022 or 1-516-342-7262 regarding cruise credits. AIR2SEA is not subject to this cruise credit feature.

4 hours ago, karl_nj said:

The aggravating part is that twangster also seems like a person who reads the fine print, and is very careful with details, but he is still having issues with his claim.

Indeed.  We can all read terms and conditions and interpret them to conclude we are covered but then discover an insurance company has a different interpretation. 

Whose to say if any other insurance policy through a different company would have yielded a different outcome?   

8 hours ago, twangster said:

Indeed.  We can all read terms and conditions and interpret them to conclude we are covered but then discover an insurance company has a different interpretation. 

Whose to say if any other insurance policy through a different company would have yielded a different outcome?   

Or as is more likely, would any insurance company just keep giving you the runaround long enough to hope that you just gave up and went away. 

Following up with Allianz it seems they need more information but neglected to send me anything stating they needed more information.

They are requesting proof of when I reached the cruise ship.

For the fifth time I explained I could not reach the ship.  

They can't add that to information the claim.  I need to wait for the request for information to be received then reply to that request with my proof of when I boarded the ship.  

In my appeal letter I clearly stated I did not board the ship.  In my original claim I explained I missed the cruise.  

Apparently they are not reading my claim notes or appeal letter.  They are still proceeding on the basis of trip interruption.  

#frustrating

Status Update:

It's been a while since I updated the thread and it's been an interesting journey.  I've been on a cruise recently with limited communication so that delayed working through this process.

It took numerous attempts to escalate.  Escalation and appeal is by email only - they don't let you talk to a person in this process.

This is going to get lengthy but I want to you to see how this unfolded and how their claims process works.

A couple weeks ago I received a voicemail from someone at Allianz in response to my email appeal.  They left an extension number and "direct" phone number. I've made numerous attempts to call that number prior to cruising. 

One occasion the contact center that answered informed me that their computers were down and they can't transfer calls when computers are down.  On another occasion the contact center repeated past information about my claim being denied and refused to transfer me.  On another occasion they stated they need more information and had sent me an email (didn't get it but got have received other emails from them with my denial status).  I checked spam filters and junk mail and made sure their domain was whitelisted.  They couldn't tell me what additional information was required.  "I'm sorry we can't tell you that on the phone, it has to be sent to you in an email".  Three attempts to have the email sent and resent were unsuccessful despite numerous emails about being denied.  

On my eighth attempt to return the phone call from the voicemail, I convinced the contact center agent to transfer me to the extension provided.  Phew.  A human answered.

My claim of trip cancellation was changed to trip interruption because they could find no proof that my airline had incurred "24 hours of cessation of services".  I informed her I was documenting this for an internet forum and asked very specifically what does "cessation of services" mean?  Basically the airline has to stop flying.  All flights, anywhere.  I asked her to clarify specifically with Southwest Airlines.  Do you mean that every single flight that Southwest flies anywhere has to be grounded for 24 hours for cessation of services to be satisfied?  Her response, correct.  The Airline has to cease operations.  If one Southwest plane takes off anywhere completely unrelated to me getting to Houston then cessation of services has not been satisfied.  They use FlightStats are a data source and had documented in my claim that Southwest did not cease operations.  

But wait.  I checked my policy and no where is cessation of services mentioned for this coverage.   It's because of the date of the incident she said, side stepping my comment.  Had I got sick on April 5th and cancelled then it would be Trip Cancelation but because it occurred on April 7th it's Trip Interruption.  My policy doesn't state anything related to date of cancellation.  No where does it state a number of hours or days before a cruise or trip for a claim to be cancellation versus interruption. We went down this rabbit hole several times until I asked her to read to me where in my policy is a date qualification noted.

She stated I would have been covered if I flew to Cozumel and boarded the ship side stepping my request.  Coverage would have been up to $250.  I told her Southwest doesn't fly to Cozumel.  My airline couldn't get me there.  She then went back to cessation of services.  I repeated that's not in my policy as a qualifying condition (it is for car rental coverage in a different section, but not for trip cancellation or trip interruption).  Then she went back to trip interruption however since I didn't try to fly to Cozumel, I'm not covered.  I repeated I couldn't fly to Cozumel because Southwest doesn't fly there and asked her why isn't this trip cancellation?

I pointed out that as soon as Southwest cancelled my flight on that day I called their claims department and was informed I am covered and was advised to file trip cancellation.  She stated she didn't know why I was given this incorrect information.  

Then she stated: Oh look, here is something in your policy that I overlooked.  "Non-refundable payments and deposits.  Payments and deposits you made before your trip was canceled, less any published refunds you’re entitled to receive."

At this point she started looking at my receipts and confirming I paid an additional amount for transportation services (Houston to Galveston shuttle).  "This is my fault, I missed that section of your policy".

The words I had been waiting to hear...   "Okay, I am going to process the full amount of the cruise fare and shuttle less the port fees and taxes as indicated by Royal Caribbean".

Success.  

I have some thoughts on this experience but I'll leave it up to you to decide if you think they were hoping with enough road blocks, unrelated terminology and verbiage that isn't in my policy that I might just give up and go away.   

12 minutes ago, twangster said:

I have some thoughts on this experience but I'll leave it up to you to decide if you think they were hoping with enough road blocks, unrelated terminology and verbiage that isn't in my policy that I might just give up and go away. 

This is absolutely what they were trying to do. Had you not kept all the documentation you did, or not been as persistent as you had, they would have won.

Really wishing there was an angry face reaction stamp for that last post. You paid them good money to buy that policy, and in return you were given the worst kind of runaround for something that should have been cut and dried on Day 0. At least your persistence paid off and you were finally compensated correctly.

Although I guess we'll have to see if that's really true without making another 10 phone calls to trace the check / ACH transfer. 😒

26 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Good grief, what's the point of even buying insurance then? I'm not smart enough to outthink them like you are. I'd just be throwing my money away.

I fear I am in the same category.  I would definitely have given up and slunk away.  Hell...I didn't even get the cruise line to pay for lost luggage and that is pretty cut and dry.  I think I just buy insurance to make myself feel like I'm covered when I am really, probably not.  My annual Allianz policy is coming up for renewal VERY quickly.  I really, truly do not know what to do....

I am no Twangbot.

6 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I fear I am in the same category.  I would definitely have given up and slunk away.  Hell...I didn't even get the cruise line to pay for lost luggage and that is pretty cut and dry.  I think I just buy insurance to make myself feel like I'm covered when I am really, probably not.  My annual Allianz policy is coming up for renewal VERY quickly.  I really, truly do not know what to do....

I am no Twangbot.

When I have a claim with itravelinsured.com I am able to start the claim process over the phone with one of their agents, finish the paperwork, scan and email. If there is a problem, either the claims rep from itravelinsured.com calls or emails me tell me what is up and if I need to anything. The claim rep represents ME (and has always worked in my interest) when I've had to make a claim, two to date. I am very happy with them. Was considering Allianz just because I had heard nothing bad (notice, nothing.bad.), but they I contacted them they couldn't write me a policy when I needed one for a sail date 2 years away. Then @twangster's issues happened. That told me just to sit tight with my current company.