Give Me Liberty, or ...not. An Insurance Claim Live Blog

twangster

Following up with Allianz it seems they need more information but neglected to send me anything stating they needed more information.

They are requesting proof of when I reached the cruise ship.

For the fifth time I explained I could not reach the ship.  

They can't add that to information the claim.  I need to wait for the request for information to be received then reply to that request with my proof of when I boarded the ship.  

In my appeal letter I clearly stated I did not board the ship.  In my original claim I explained I missed the cruise.  

Apparently they are not reading my claim notes or appeal letter.  They are still proceeding on the basis of trip interruption.  

#frustrating

• 2 weeks later...

Status Update:

It's been a while since I updated the thread and it's been an interesting journey.  I've been on a cruise recently with limited communication so that delayed working through this process.

It took numerous attempts to escalate.  Escalation and appeal is by email only - they don't let you talk to a person in this process.

This is going to get lengthy but I want to you to see how this unfolded and how their claims process works.

A couple weeks ago I received a voicemail from someone at Allianz in response to my email appeal.  They left an extension number and "direct" phone number. I've made numerous attempts to call that number prior to cruising. 

One occasion the contact center that answered informed me that their computers were down and they can't transfer calls when computers are down.  On another occasion the contact center repeated past information about my claim being denied and refused to transfer me.  On another occasion they stated they need more information and had sent me an email (didn't get it but got have received other emails from them with my denial status).  I checked spam filters and junk mail and made sure their domain was whitelisted.  They couldn't tell me what additional information was required.  "I'm sorry we can't tell you that on the phone, it has to be sent to you in an email".  Three attempts to have the email sent and resent were unsuccessful despite numerous emails about being denied.  

On my eighth attempt to return the phone call from the voicemail, I convinced the contact center agent to transfer me to the extension provided.  Phew.  A human answered.

My claim of trip cancellation was changed to trip interruption because they could find no proof that my airline had incurred "24 hours of cessation of services".  I informed her I was documenting this for an internet forum and asked very specifically what does "cessation of services" mean?  Basically the airline has to stop flying.  All flights, anywhere.  I asked her to clarify specifically with Southwest Airlines.  Do you mean that every single flight that Southwest flies anywhere has to be grounded for 24 hours for cessation of services to be satisfied?  Her response, correct.  The Airline has to cease operations.  If one Southwest plane takes off anywhere completely unrelated to me getting to Houston then cessation of services has not been satisfied.  They use FlightStats are a data source and had documented in my claim that Southwest did not cease operations.  

But wait.  I checked my policy and no where is cessation of services mentioned for this coverage.   It's because of the date of the incident she said, side stepping my comment.  Had I got sick on April 5th and cancelled then it would be Trip Cancelation but because it occurred on April 7th it's Trip Interruption.  My policy doesn't state anything related to date of cancellation.  No where does it state a number of hours or days before a cruise or trip for a claim to be cancellation versus interruption. We went down this rabbit hole several times until I asked her to read to me where in my policy is a date qualification noted.

She stated I would have been covered if I flew to Cozumel and boarded the ship side stepping my request.  Coverage would have been up to $250.  I told her Southwest doesn't fly to Cozumel.  My airline couldn't get me there.  She then went back to cessation of services.  I repeated that's not in my policy as a qualifying condition (it is for car rental coverage in a different section, but not for trip cancellation or trip interruption).  Then she went back to trip interruption however since I didn't try to fly to Cozumel, I'm not covered.  I repeated I couldn't fly to Cozumel because Southwest doesn't fly there and asked her why isn't this trip cancellation?

I pointed out that as soon as Southwest cancelled my flight on that day I called their claims department and was informed I am covered and was advised to file trip cancellation.  She stated she didn't know why I was given this incorrect information.  

Then she stated: Oh look, here is something in your policy that I overlooked.  "Non-refundable payments and deposits.  Payments and deposits you made before your trip was canceled, less any published refunds you’re entitled to receive."

At this point she started looking at my receipts and confirming I paid an additional amount for transportation services (Houston to Galveston shuttle).  "This is my fault, I missed that section of your policy".

The words I had been waiting to hear...   "Okay, I am going to process the full amount of the cruise fare and shuttle less the port fees and taxes as indicated by Royal Caribbean".

Success.  

I have some thoughts on this experience but I'll leave it up to you to decide if you think they were hoping with enough road blocks, unrelated terminology and verbiage that isn't in my policy that I might just give up and go away.   

12 minutes ago, twangster said:

I have some thoughts on this experience but I'll leave it up to you to decide if you think they were hoping with enough road blocks, unrelated terminology and verbiage that isn't in my policy that I might just give up and go away. 

This is absolutely what they were trying to do. Had you not kept all the documentation you did, or not been as persistent as you had, they would have won.

Really wishing there was an angry face reaction stamp for that last post. You paid them good money to buy that policy, and in return you were given the worst kind of runaround for something that should have been cut and dried on Day 0. At least your persistence paid off and you were finally compensated correctly.

Although I guess we'll have to see if that's really true without making another 10 phone calls to trace the check / ACH transfer. ?

26 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Good grief, what's the point of even buying insurance then? I'm not smart enough to outthink them like you are. I'd just be throwing my money away.

I fear I am in the same category.  I would definitely have given up and slunk away.  Hell...I didn't even get the cruise line to pay for lost luggage and that is pretty cut and dry.  I think I just buy insurance to make myself feel like I'm covered when I am really, probably not.  My annual Allianz policy is coming up for renewal VERY quickly.  I really, truly do not know what to do....

I am no Twangbot.

6 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I fear I am in the same category.  I would definitely have given up and slunk away.  Hell...I didn't even get the cruise line to pay for lost luggage and that is pretty cut and dry.  I think I just buy insurance to make myself feel like I'm covered when I am really, probably not.  My annual Allianz policy is coming up for renewal VERY quickly.  I really, truly do not know what to do....

I am no Twangbot.

When I have a claim with itravelinsured.com I am able to start the claim process over the phone with one of their agents, finish the paperwork, scan and email. If there is a problem, either the claims rep from itravelinsured.com calls or emails me tell me what is up and if I need to anything. The claim rep represents ME (and has always worked in my interest) when I've had to make a claim, two to date. I am very happy with them. Was considering Allianz just because I had heard nothing bad (notice, nothing.bad.), but they I contacted them they couldn't write me a policy when I needed one for a sail date 2 years away. Then @twangster's issues happened. That told me just to sit tight with my current company.

19 hours ago, twangster said:

to decide if you think they were hoping with enough road blocks, unrelated terminology and verbiage that isn't in my policy that I might just give up and go away.   

100%

They must hope people aren't smart enough or willing to put in the time/energy/frustration to keep going. Glad it all worked out for you but this is a complete and total mess.

I wonder if a letter plus doc sent to your state's Attorney General and State Insurance Commission would help. Although the claim has been "satisfied" I would think they would be interested in all the extraordinary hoops and BS you had to go through just to get that claim satisfied. Agree with@ellcee. Perhaps they put all their claims through the gauntlet just to see who can survive what should seem like an easy walk down paperwork lane.

On 5/29/2019 at 3:03 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

I am no Twangbot.

My annual policy expired last month, and since we aren't traveling again until October I thought I'd wait and just get a new policy then.  The options have changed so much in the last year it's ridiculously expensive for the same coverage (not that they will write a policy that starts in October yet.)  So we're looking around for a new one. 

On 5/29/2019 at 3:15 PM, Baked Alaska said:

When I have a claim with itravelinsured.com I am able to start the claim process over the phone with one of their agents, finish the paperwork, scan and email. If there is a problem, either the claims rep from itravelinsured.com calls or emails me tell me what is up and if I need to anything. The claim rep represents ME (and has always worked in my interest) when I've had to make a claim, two to date. I am very happy with them. Was considering Allianz just because I had heard nothing bad (notice, nothing.bad.), but they I contacted them they couldn't write me a policy when I needed one for a sail date 2 years away. Then @twangster's issues happened. That told me just to sit tight with my current company.

Baked Alaska, after following Twangster's rather epic battle in this, I was seriously debating if getting any trip insurance from anyone -- Royal, my travel agent's offered policy from a third party, tripinsurance.com, etc. -- was going to be worthwhile or if I might just as well put it in a pile in my grill and use it for starting the charcoal. After reading the above, I'm going to give itravelinsured.com a go for my Iceland & Greenland sailing next year. Thanks for sharing that, I had never heard of this group before.

50 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Baked Alaska, after following Twangster's rather epic battle in this, I was seriously debating if getting any trip insurance from anyone -- Royal, my travel agent's offered policy from a third party, tripinsurance.com, etc. -- was going to be worthwhile or if I might just as well put it in a pile in my grill and use it for starting the charcoal. After reading the above, I'm going to give itravelinsured.com a go for my Iceland & Greenland sailing next year. Thanks for sharing that, I had never heard of this group before.

@JLMoran....trip insurance is something only you can decide if the cost is worth the risk. However, I always suggest making sure to definitely get medical and evacuation coverage. Losing the cost of cruse or plane fare is one thing, but perish the thought, needing to be helicoptered off a ship can bankrupt you. I usually use a credit card that includes trip insurance and then buy the medical plan separately from geo-blue directly or through insuremytrip.com I like geo-blue because they include coverage for preexisting conditions. I will check out @Baked Alaska  suggestion also to see if they work with geo-blue.

Update:  Money received, my epic insurance experience is over.  

My remaining 2019 cruises have insurance from another carrier purchased on a per cruise basis (no annual policy).   I still have some coverage from Allianz.

I still believe in insurance for the unexpected.  

Biggest lesson learned - don't fly in the day of the cruise.  That wasn't an option this time and I thought it would be okay given a short flight to Houston.  What could go wrong?   The best outcome would have been to take the cruise, so fly in the day before.

3 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Let me know how you like this company.  I keep doing Allianz because its easy but they were awful with our Paris trip.  I hate giving them any business.  Jane

6 hours ago, JLMoran said:

@Skid and @JLMoran Insuremytrip.com is what I use. I've seen so much discussion on here that I mistyped. I've made two claims. One was denied initially, they assigned me a claim rep as insuremytrip.com sells itravelinsured LX policies, amongst others, and that person pushed my claim through and received my check with 10 days of the reversal. Very pleased. 

Edited by Baked Alaska
Clarification

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2019 at 2:19 PM, twangster said:

The heart of the issue:

681004655_LibertyMissedFlight.thumb.jpg.2966eda06962a9ed6bcf3ffbc68c4a05.jpg

This weather front is moving, sliding left to right and would have been on top of the airport right as we flew into the area.  As the pilot put it, no sense taking off only to be placed into a holding pattern waiting for the slow moving storm to roll through.  

fly.faa.gov conformed the pilots claims.

348858240_LibertyMissedFlight-3.thumb.jpg.af53d65e24d5912b1b8c5101ee23956e.jpg1388692490_LibertyMissedFlight-4.thumb.jpg.168b91b37c45ccd4662ef2febc1e57bd.jpg

The result:

116735690_LibertyMissedFlight-5.thumb.jpg.31fcf4f1ae0979439f658011701c9d5d.jpg

While I did look to see what other airlines might offer, the reality is there was no way to reach the ship in time.

I remember this weather event. It affected us up here in Dallas as well. Sorry you missed your cruise.