Cape Liberty to Manhattan

41m33

We're sailing into Cape Liberty on May 17th and plan to spend 2 nights in Manhattan. There are 6 of us plus our luggage. Can anyone suggest the best way to get from port to our hotel? I've looked at a car service and its a bit pricey. Is Uber or Lyft an option? Are there taxi vans willing to cross into Manhattan? Any advice appreciated!

Crossing into Manhattan involves bridges and tunnels, so nothing will be inexpensive, sorry.  One of the bridges just raised the toll to $17.  May 17th is a Friday, so you'll also be dealing with rush hour traffic as all the NJ commuters head in.  I'd suggest not rushing off the ship, and planning a ride for after 9am.  You won't be able to check into a hotel until later in the day anyway, unless you've pre-arranged early check-in or luggage storage.  

Uber & Lyft are an option; if you download the apps you can put in both addresses and see the rate.  There is a premium a certain time of day, I can't remember when that was.  Michael Poole does lots of live blogs for @Matt and I remember when he came into Cape Liberty off the Adventure repo last year he commented on the prices being different based on time.  

As someone who lives in NJ, we always drive so I'm not helpful with car service.  My thoughts though are with mass transit - we have no issues lugging luggage but I know that's not the same with everyone.  For example, we did a 12 night repo from Boston to Ft. Lauderdale and we drove to the commuter line where took Amtrak into Boston, then took their commuter line to the airport where our hotel picked us up.  Coming home, we flew into Newark airport, where we took a monorail to the train line, to take the commuter rail back to our car.  This is all with 13 nights worth of luggage in tow.  LOL 

@twangster is the all-knowing bot who can probably give you awesome advice here.  If your hotel is anywhere near New York Penn Station, you may just want to get a ride to Newark Penn Station (yes, it's confusing but they both used to be owned by the Pennsylvania Railroad hence the name) and hop into Manahttan that way.  It will be the most cost-effective way, I think. 

There are few option :

1. Taxi , but it will be very costly - from EWR airport cost me around 100$ for two people but I think it might be more now.
2. Uber/Lyft  , but anyway you will need two cars even with Uber XL (maybe Van is possible). did not tried it.
3. Taxi to NJ  Pen station and 15 minutes train to NY Pen station , from there subway (very not comfortable with luggage , you will need to use stairs) or Taxi from Pen station , depends were is the hotel. - I did it once using the train and the subway ,  the train was perfect , the subway was a different story it was not easy to carry two suitcase between the trains which were packed and the stairs , but the nice things was that many people offered to help us. 
4. Taxi to EWR airport and rent a van, drop everyone in the hotel and drop the car in one of the 
Manhattan , if it is during the weekend  (mainly Sunday) its not that bad.
5. If Van is not available maybe a combo , two will drive with all the luggage and the rest will take the train. - I did it many times , took the car in EWR airport and dropped it in the city (also done the opposite side) 

Look into the Sheraton Lincoln harbor in. It has a special where you get passes on the private ferry that is 20 yards from the front door. It's a little cheaper than staying in Manhattan the ferry service also  offers free bus service. Ny water ways is the ferry company. If you have not booked a Manhattan hotel I would check out this hotel. I stay there whenever I go to the city.  https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/ewrsl-sheraton-lincoln-harbor-hotel/?scid=bb1a189a-fec3-4d19-a255-54ba596febe2