What beers?

Janeinpenn

It covers almost everything, with very few exceptions. You know those bigger bottles? Those are excluded. I know there were other exceptions, but I can't think of them now. We got the Premium Package and didn't want to dollar-cost-average down, so we stayed away from beers for the most part. However, my wife had a few IPAs and I had some other types - all craft beers and ciders, and all included.

I hope that helps a little. I know not much. :unsure:

I have a list of beers (and prices) towards the bottom of this page: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/royal-caribbean-drink-prices

When I was on Freedom a few weeks ago, I was chatting with an older gentleman (an fellow Harley rider, for the record ;)) who was ordering Canadian Club. They were charging him $7, plus grat. Just FYI. That might help sway someone regarding the packages. Yes, it's a well liquor, but it's not bottom shelf and it's not mixed with grain alcohol. It's swaying me a bit, because of how much you could drink before ever touching the $57/day price.

When I was on Freedom a few weeks ago, I was chatting with an older gentleman (an fellow Harley rider, for the record ;)) who was ordering Canadian Club. They were charging him $7, plus grat. Just FYI. That might help sway someone regarding the packages. Yes, it's a well liquor, but it's not bottom shelf and it's not mixed with grain alcohol. It's swaying me a bit, because of how much you could drink before ever touching the $57/day price.

I've already come to the conclusion that on my next cruise, I'll be buying the drinks package and just consider it part of "the cost of the cruise", regardless of the price.  I'm Diamond and we get three free drinks during an allotted time period in the evenings, but most of that time I'm having dinner with the family and the free drinks aren't served there.  Plus, the free menu leaves a little to be desired for my tastes.  

With the package I'll be able to get what I want ("Zaya rum tonight?  Or perhaps a little Glenfiddich scotch this evening, sir?"), whenever I want, in whatever quantities I require at that moment.   :)  

Bonus is that, unlike some other lines, my wife doesn't have to purchase the package along with me.  If she hits $20 a day in drinks I'd be amazed, so I'm willing to go "a la carte" with her drinking.  (It's probably a ruse to save more money for jewelry, but don't tell her I'm on to it.)

I've already come to the conclusion that on my next cruise, I'll be buying the drinks package and just consider it part of "the cost of the cruise", regardless of the price.  I'm Diamond and we get three free drinks during an allotted time period in the evenings, but most of that time I'm having dinner with the family and the free drinks aren't served there.  Plus, the free menu leaves a little to be desired for my tastes.  

Makes sense.  I will be curious to hear your thoughts when you return if your plan/thoughts worked out in the manner you expected.

With the package I'll be able to get what I want ("Zaya rum tonight?  Or perhaps a little Glenfiddich scotch this evening, sir?"), whenever I want, in whatever quantities I require at that moment.   :)  

Bonus is that, unlike some other lines, my wife doesn't have to purchase the package along with me.  If she hits $20 a day in drinks I'd be amazed, so I'm willing to go "a la carte" with her drinking.  (It's probably a ruse to save more money for jewelry, but don't tell her I'm on to it.)

That's so funny! Because we were thinking the exact opposite. We just got back from our Freedom cruise where we had the Premium Package (PP). We loved it! But, we did wonder, once we got off, if we really got any sort of deal after all. So, on our Enchantment cruise in February, we're going to drink freely, with no thought to the money (so we'll have an apples-to-apples comparison), and see what our tab comes out to be. If it's higher per day, then PP every time!

That said, one can always pick and choose based on the type of cruise you'll be on. If we're on a transatlantic, PP time! If we're in port 6 out of 7 days, then maybe no PP. We'll be sailing with our friends from the UK on the Navigator next year, and they drink like professionals. That's a big PP time! Socializing always increases boozing. Which is another reason for us to buy the PP - we always make friends on cruises and then the party's on!

And remember, as Matt always says, if you have 4 days or more left in your cruise, you can order the package on board. So if it's home, port, port, port, port, sea, sea, sea, home (or whatever), then order the package midway, because you'll be drinking more the second half of the cruise. Too bad you can't order it for just the first half!

That's so funny! Because we were thinking the exact opposite. We just got back from our Freedom cruise where we had the Premium Package (PP). We loved it! But, we did wonder, once we got off, if we really got any sort of deal after all. So, on our Enchantment cruise in February, we're going to drink freely, with no thought to the money (so we'll have an apples-to-apples comparison), and see what our tab comes out to be. If it's higher per day, then PP every time!

That said, one can always pick and choose based on the type of cruise you'll be on. If we're on a transatlantic, PP time! If we're in port 6 out of 7 days, then maybe no PP. We'll be sailing with our friends from the UK on the Navigator next year, and they drink like professionals. That's a big PP time! Socializing always increases boozing. Which is another reason for us to buy the PP - we always make friends on cruises and then the party's on!

And remember, as Matt always says, if you have 4 days or more left in your cruise, you can order the package on board. So if it's home, port, port, port, port, sea, sea, sea, home (or whatever), then order the package midway, because you'll be drinking more the second half of the cruise. Too bad you can't order it for just the first half!

That was my issue on my last cruise - there were 5 port days, so I didn't purchase the package.  I wound up not drinking as much on board as I normally do because of the cost of individual drinks (and actually wound up drinking much more while in port because of that - it was cheaper).  My thinking now is I'll just pay the money, and not worry about it.  I can see myself having at least three drinks a day on-board most days - frozen drink during the day, pre-dinner cocktail, and post dinner rum or scotch or nice mixed drink.  If I break even money-wise, great, if not, my lifestyle isn't going to be greatly impacted by overspending a few dollars that one week.  Heck, I'm starting to think it's worth it just to not have to worry how much the bill at the end of the cruise is going to be at $14 a drink.  

• 2 weeks later...

I look at it this way.. I love a Bloody Mary with breakfast.. So if I have 2 there's 20 dollars and I havent even hit lunch yet.. Evening tiime its not uncommon for me to have 6-10 beers while hanging out at any of the establishments onboard.. so.. Throw in a shot or 2 of Patron and  I'm already at the break even point right there.. throw in soft drinks and juices and hell.. I've already came out ahead.. :)

I look at it this way.. I love a Bloody Mary with breakfast.. So if I have 2 there's 20 dollars and I havent even hit lunch yet.. Evening tiime its not uncommon for me to have 6-10 beers while hanging out at any of the establishments onboard.. so.. Throw in a shot or 2 of Patron and  I'm already at the break even point right there.. throw in soft drinks and juices and hell.. I've already came out ahead.. :)

Rick, you're a man I could cruise with! :D B)

Not everyone drinks like us though. I'm starting to think, if they're even slightly concerned about it, they should take that as a sign they probably won't make it work in their favor. If you're on the fence, play it conservatively. Don't be tempted by a "deal" - it may not be.

For you and I, however... ;)

I'm not so sure your liver agrees. ;)

We're not gonna get preachy on here, are we Doc? :(

We're not gonna get preachy on here, are we Doc? :(

Trust me; I'm not judging. I'm actually envious as I limit myself to the Royal Replenish challenge. Further, I eat my share on a cruise to have its own health implications.

Everything in moderation, right! There are 51 other weeks in the year to make up for our indulgences on a cruise.

I tried to "like this" on your comment, Doc, but for some odd reason, there's a limit to the amount of posts you can like in one day. That's very strange. Why have that feature? To what benefit?

That sounds like an administrator (Matt) question, but thanks for the pseudo-like!  BTW, I'll be in your neck of the woods in December 2016 before my Allure cruise!