Combating Motion Sickness

I need some help here please.  My wife is effected by motion sickness, but we love to cruise and have a couple planned over the next couple years.  We have only sailed on mega ships so far and we are sailing on the Brilliance for one of them.  With the Brilliance being a smaller ship I was told middle and a lower deck stateroom will help with the motion sickness.  She takes Dramamine before we cruise and that takes care of the problem thankfully.  I am asking the experts here for advice on stateroom placement.  I know we will not be in the stateroom the entire time, but if she feels it coming on I would like a place for her to be able to lay down until she feels better and not add to the problem.   I have asked the travel agent to move my room once, and I don't want to be an annoyance and ask her to move it again.  We are currently booked on deck 3 middle.  I would like to hear your thoughts on this please, and thank you in advance. 

Unless you get into heavy weather, that should be favorable seas. If it were north Atlantic or Indian Ocean I'd say otherwise. I've been all over the Caribbean in the past (USN) and always had calm seas. As far as ships motion, midships on a lower deck is supposed to be better. Hope everything comes out ok....

9 minutes ago, rtread said:

Unless you get into heavy weather, that should be favorable seas. If it were north Atlantic or Indian Ocean I'd say otherwise. I've been all over the Caribbean in the past (USN) and always had calm seas. As far as ships motion, midships on a lower deck is supposed to be better. Hope everything comes out ok....

I was told lower and mid ship is better, but then I was listening to a different pod cast from a group of travel agents stating mid and upper decks were better for it.  That's why there is some confusion for me now

The way it was explained to me many years ago, if you climb up on the ship's mast, you will be swinging in a much wider arc than if you were on the lowest deck....or down in the machinery spaces. The arc is the key, like a pendulum. Don't look out at the waves, don't eat sardines and oysters, and don't listen to those that tell you to do those things! :8_laughing:

13 minutes ago, DublinFC said:

I was told lower and mid ship is bette

every travel agent I've worked with has said the same thing.  My wife is also very susceptible.  We have not been on that class of ship but we've been on the Enchantment and she finds that the only time she really notices it is when we are in the theater (front).

3 minutes ago, mbk999 said:

every travel agent I've worked with has said the same thing.  My wife is also very susceptible.  We have not been on that class of ship but we've been on the Enchantment and she finds that the only time she really notices it is when we are in the theater (front).

That's good to know.  Thank you

8 minutes ago, mbk999 said:

Depending on direction of the wind vs. ship's heading you could have a pitch or a roll. Both will make you seasick but some can get seasick as soon as the ship moves away from the pier.

18 minutes ago, melski94 said:

Then Tazos ginger green tea really helps me! 

Green Tea, Ginger, Ginger Ale, Green apples, are a good natural remedy.

My wife used to wear the patches, they are very effective, but now I guess because she has flown and cruised enough she no longer gets motion sickness

38 minutes ago, melski94 said:

The lower decks can make my daughter and I sick if I look out a lower window.  So if you have an Ov room keep the shades closed.  Sit her away from the MDR windows.  

We typically get rooms on deck 8-10 and unless the seas are rough we are ok.  Then Tazos ginger green tea really helps me! 

We are booking for an inside room.  She has sailed 3 times with a balcony, twice for me.  We want to see how an interior sailing goes for us.  Tazos ginger green tea has been added to my cruise list of must haves thanks!

23 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

Green Tea, Ginger, Ginger Ale, Green apples, are a good natural remedy.

My wife used to wear the patches, they are very effective, but now I guess because she has flown and cruised enough she no longer gets motion sickness

My wife talked to a doctor about the patches before and tl;dr a ship doctor said a lot of people come to sick bay due to a bad reaction to the patch.  Ginger Ale and green apples got it.  Great stuff!.

1 minute ago, DublinFC said:

a ship doctor said a lot of people come to sick bay due to a bad reaction to the patch

I personally would need to do a lot of research for the patch option.   I know lots of folks swear by them but my wife refuses to try the patch because she had such a bad reaction way back in the 90s.  I know they've gotten better but she's been scarred for life on them I'm afraid.

10 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

We're getting one of those Relief Band 2.0 for my husband (not Sea Bands).  I've read good things about them, so we're hoping it works.  Dramamine works for him, but he sleeps the whole damn day away when he takes them, and that's just a waste of cruise money.

Try the non-drowsy ginger Dramamine.  Its good for mild motion especially the first night.  Also have had good luck with Bonine which is also non-drowsy.

Just now, melski94 said:

Try the non-drowsy ginger Dramamine.  Its good for mild motion especially the first night.  Also have had good luck with Bonine which is also non-drowsy.

Yeah, I'll be stealing the dogs' Bonine and bringing that instead. He still wants the Relief Band, though.

9 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

We're getting one of those Relief Band 2.0 for my husband (not Sea Bands).  I've read good things about them, so we're hoping it works.  Dramamine works for him, but he sleeps the whole damn day away when he takes them, and that's just a waste of cruise money.

I found non-drowsy Dramamine in a local Meijer.  I am getting some to see if it truly is non-drowsy.  I hated taking it I felt tired all the time.  I was getting pi**ed off for feeling that way.  All I wanted to do was sleep and  I 100% agree sleeping all the time is waste of money. I don't mind a nap for an hour.  But, sleeping the day away is not want I want to do. 

Just now, DublinFC said:

I found non-drowsy Dramamine in a local Meijer.  I am getting some to see if it truly is non-drowsy.  I hated taking it I felt tired all the time.  I was getting pi**ed off for feeling that way.  All I wanted to do was sleep and  I 100% agree sleeping all the time is waste of money. I don't mind a nap for an hour.  But, sleeping the day away is not want I want to do. 

It's difficult enough for him since he usually doesn't get up until 3pm (we both work overnights), so getting up in the morning on vacation is a real chore to begin with.  Adding drugs into it...well, you can only imagine.

We switched a few years ago to Bonine,  and it does not make you as drowsy as Dramamine does and works just as good. We have it with us but only use it when seas are rough.  It seems the more you cruise the less you get motion sickness.  At least for us anyways.   Also not having an empty stomach and staying hydrated works very well.   

4 minutes ago, fonemanbob said:

We switched a few years ago to Bonine,  and it does not make you as drowsy as Dramamine does and works just as good. We have it with us but only use it when seas are rough.  It seems the more you cruise the less you get motion sickness.  At least for us anyways.   Also not having an empty stomach and staying hydrated works very well.   

Ok. If you say I HAVE to take him on more cruises, I will.  Seems to be the only sure cure.  ?

Buy the Relief Band on Amazon. It wears like a watch and emits an eclectic pulse that disrupts the nerve that controls nausea and vomiting. It has five levels of pulses. You just keep adjusting up until you feel better. I bought mine for $80. I can’t even look at the water or watch my kids play video games. I was good to go with this. Going through the Gulf Stream didn’t bother me at all.

It does feel strange at first so I recommend trying it on at home so she knows what the pulse feels like. 

These are also recommend for cancer patients going through chemo and severe morning sickness.

17 minutes ago, Cindy Leslie said:

I’ve always used Meclizine. Can buy it over the counter (under $5 at Costco Phamacy). Start taking it the day prior to cruising and then twice a day on cruise (with breakfast and dinner). Doesn’t make me drowsy. Can even have a cocktail, with no adverse effects! Good luck and have fun!

For anyone wondering, this is the same thing as Bonine - sounds like it works very well for many people (and is the ONLY thing that keeps my dog from puking all over the car when we travel).

18 hours ago, DublinFC said:

When my wife takes Dramamine she becomes a homicidal maniac, this is the nicest most patient soul on Earth ,,,,,, without Dramamine. You are getting angry because of the drug, stop using it. We had never seen the Eme Term band and will give it a try.  She uses the patch but cuts it in half against the directions on the package and finds that it works.  Hoping for calm seas over New Years in the Western Caribbean. 

On 4/5/2019 at 11:09 AM, SpeedNoodles said:

Looked up that Reliefband 2.0 there's a lot off people saying it arrived DOA or worked once. I'm looking for something similar if you get it can you let me know if it worked for your husband?

7 minutes ago, 12thman said:

Looked up that Reliefband 2.0 there's a lot off people saying it arrived DOA or worked once. I'm looking for something similar if you get it can you let me know if it worked for your husband?

I'll let you know. He actually found another brand that he wants (likely due to reviews of Relief Band). I can't remember what brand it is that he found. We'll be sailing in June.

10 hours ago, foxrunner said:

When my wife takes Dramamine she becomes a homicidal maniac, this is the nicest most patient soul on Earth ,,,,,, without Dramamine. You are getting angry because of the drug, stop using it. We had never seen the Eme Term band and will give it a try.  She uses the patch but cuts it in half against the directions on the package and finds that it works.  Hoping for calm seas over New Years in the Western Caribbean. 

I did stop using it when I noticed i was tired all the time. I dont actually need it as I found out by not taking it. When i was taking it I was annoyed I was so dang tired all the time so I stopped using it 

On 4/5/2019 at 6:18 PM, Susie said:

I took Bonine and drink coffee or Coke with it so I can still awake. 

I would have a few cups of coffee with the Dramamine but still felt groggy.  so I just stopped it.  Thankfully I am not effect my seasickness.  I havn't sailed in rough seas yet so who knows how I will feel then lol