Refreshment package on sale...should I get it?

SLJ

Hi everyone!  The refreshment package is 30% right now on cruise planner ($26.80 Cdn). I'm debating whether it'd be worth while for us to get it. So my questions are:

1.  How much are the non-alcoholic cocktails onboard? That'd be something I'll be using the package for the most as I'm not a big fan of sodas.

2.  Can we get the refreshment package just for the two adults and not our 3 and 5 yo? They won't be drinking sodas and I can always fill up their thermos with water or juice from the buffet in the morning.

Thanks!!

1) Anything you can make with alcohol can be made without alcohol and will be included in the REFRESHMENT package:

Pina Coladas

Strawberry Daiquaris

Mojito

Frozen Lemonade

On ships with vitality Cafe: Smoothies

Powerade

Red Bulls

2) Yes you can do this, the refreshment package does not have a rule that everyone in a cabin needs to buy it.

The average was 6.00 (just looked at some of my receipts).  Anywhere from 5.50 - 7.00 for the non alcoholic cocktail.  One thing to note is they use those sugary mixes and when you do not have any alcohol they have to use more to make the blender blend correctly so you end up with a very sweet and calorie filled drink.  

I thought i would do 3 - 4 a day to get my money worth but 1 was plenty.  I had a real trouble getting value even out of the 20.00 a day, especially because the speciality coffees were all a single size and it was the small size.  You really have to force yourself to go get things on your refreshment package to make it truly worth it.

53 minutes ago, SLJ said:

Hi everyone!  The refreshment package is 30% right now on cruise planner ($26.80 Cdn). I'm debating whether it'd be worth while for us to get it. So my questions are:

1.  How much are the non-alcoholic cocktails onboard? That'd be something I'll be using the package for the most as I'm not a big fan of sodas.

2.  Can we get the refreshment package just for the two adults and not our 3 and 5 yo? They won't be drinking sodas and I can always fill up their thermos with water or juice from the buffet in the morning.

Thanks!!

Depends also on the ship , in Oasis class you can use it also for real fruit shakes in the SPA bar , while most of the rest as I remember are using mixes out of a box.

Please mind , you might find the refreshment package around 19.90 in real sail , 26.8 is the regular price in cruise planner, its 30% off the on board list price.  

Beside the mocktails/Soda  you can also get special coffee ,  bottled water and fresh orange juice at the  morning 

The safe thing to do is buy it while it is on sale right now. 

If you change your mind up to 2 days before sailing you can cancel it for a refund but who knows if it will go on sale again before your cruise.  

Any one can buy the refreshment package on an individual basis.  Only the deluxe beverage package is subject to the rule that requires everyone over 21 in the cabin to buy it if anyone in the cabin buys it.  

Go For this price, Our group that is going on Liberty for Oct 27th, we have booked our packages at a higher rate, last night my brother/Sister in law had the deluxe package and refreshment, they cancelled last night and rebooked with this rate and save themselves $93.00. ( we all cancelled our drink packages and rebooked with the new rate) Hopefully RC wont take to long to put the credit back on the credit card.  I am the watchdog  for the group for the cheaper rates  I must thank the blog  for all the information and knowledge,.  Also to note some of the tours are pretty reasonably priced.  Been watching them since January and booked yesterday for Cozumel and Roatan and saved $125.00 Canadian for my husband and I.

11 minutes ago, SLJ said:

And how do you guys handle port days when you're off the ship for half the day? Will they fill my thermos with a mocktail so I can bring off the shop? 

They typically won't fill any personal container you bring but you are free to order something and dump it into your container before leaving the ship.   

17 minutes ago, twangster said:

They typically won't fill any personal container you bring but you are free to order something and dump it into your container before leaving the ship.   

Thats to say you can find a bar open early enough to make you a mocktail at 7 or 8 am (depending on when you get off the ship).

My personal opinion on these packages is this:

When we pre-pay for something that someone tells us is UNLIMITED we want to "prove" that we can get the value out of it so we do our best to exceed the value by drinking more than the products would cost individually.

When we do not have something we have pre-paid for we analyze the want & cost more closely.  Ive never ever heard someone who didnt have a package say they had a higher bill than with a package.  

This is why these All you can drink packages are soooooooooooo lucrative for the cruise line.  They know you might spend 20 a day on drinks per person if you just buy them as you go.  They LOVE getting 50+ dollars a day out of people because the incremental cost of the alcohol you actually drink is likely 1.00 per drink you consume so they have gotten 30.00 more out of you and say you have 10 drinks a day they are out maybe 10.00 in product cost.

3 minutes ago, marti314 said:

When we pre-pay for something that someone tells us is UNLIMITED we want to "prove" that we can get the value out of it so we do our best to exceed the value by drinking more than the products would cost individually.

When we do not have something we have pre-paid for we analyze the want & cost more closely.  Ive never ever heard someone who didnt have a package say they had a higher bill than with a package.  

This is why these All you can drink packages are soooooooooooo lucrative for the cruise line.  They know you might spend 20 a day on drinks per person if you just buy them as you go.  They LOVE getting 50+ dollars a day out of people because the incremental cost of the alcohol you actually drink is likely 1.00 per drink you consume so they have gotten 30.00 more out of you and say you have 10 drinks a day they are out maybe 10.00 in product cost.

I don't disagree with you but I do feel that if you use the package to it's full extent, not just on alcohol, you might break even, I'm talking fresh squeezed OJ, specialty coffee, bottles of water, cans of soda.

I personally get 2 bottles of water every time I go to a bar, if for no other reason but to stock up the room for port days.

But even figuring all of this in, the cruise line still has to win or the price would go up, at least for the last little while (Knock on wood) the price has been relatively static for the pre purchase anyway, do not know about on board.

One thing I don't remember seeing anyone mention though is the convenience, I just bought the package for my Wife for the 9 night group cruise, I did it because I didn't want her to have to worry if she wanted a drink, she could just go get it and not think about it.

4 hours ago, SLJ said:

Thanks!!

Wow only $26..for or our Oasis cruise in September it’s £24 or $42 cdn ?

3 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

I personally get 2 bottles of water every time I go to a bar, if for no other reason but to stock up the room for port days.

I agree with the pricing you can "get you moneys worth" but we all know we can get 40 bottles of water at Costco or Sams for 2.99 making them approx 7 cents a bottle.  It becomes a question of "If you didnt have the package would you be OK just grabbing water from the cold water dispensers around the ship and dumping it into your own bottle"

I'm staying in a suite same floor as the suite lounge on Allure. Thought about not getting the refreshment package for us but I don't want the hassle for figuring out what I can drink at specialty dinners plus we like coffees a lot!!! If you don't get this package what do you drink when you eat at a specialty restaurant or MDR, Wind Jammer?  

7 minutes ago, marti314 said:

If you didnt have the package would you be OK just grabbing water from the cold water dispensers around the ship and dumping it into your own bottle"

This is exactly what we do, we carry a metal thermos with us when we go to the pool or on excursions.

I agree, and at the bulk Royal buys at, I bet the cost is much much lower.

@12thman We're going on the Allure too, in May.  Since this is our first cruise and we have our second cruise booked for next year, I figure I'll try without the package this time and see how much our drink bill will come out to at the end of the cruise. During the day we'll have our thermos to fill up on lemonade, ice tea, water, etc. and we'll buy a drink at dinner. Since we're not big drinkers, our bill should be less than the package. We'll see.

1 minute ago, SLJ said:

@12thman We're going on the Allure too, in May.  Since this is our first cruise and we have our second cruise booked for next year, I figure I'll try without the package this time and see how much our drink bill will come out to at the end of the cruise. During the day we'll have our thermos to fill up on lemonade, ice tea, water, etc. and we'll buy a drink at dinner. Since we're not big drinkers, our bill should be less than the package. We'll see.

Could you let me know please? If I can cancel both refreshment packages then it would be a big savings for us.

We got the refreshments package for all of us, because we want the peace of mind of not having to worry about how much we are actually spending on the ship. It is all paid for, including gratuities. We got the package for $20 a person, and they add 18% gratuity to it. So, for 5 days, it came to $100 + $18 gratuity per person. We don't want to have to say "no, you've already had enough to drink today". The kids can get a couple mocktails, fill up in the Coke machines, get juice, water bottles. I think we'd easily spend over $20 each per day (maybe not on the port days, although the package works in Labadee). Then we'd have to worry about the 18% gratuity on top of the money over the $20. I think it would add up. At least for our family. I think it makes sense for us, but won't really know until after since it is our first cruise. I just really wanted to mention the gratuity piece, since I hadn't seen anyone else mention it.

Here's my two cents on all of this:

I always buy the refreshment package (except for star class).  Does not matter if I am sailing in a suite or not.  For me, I like the convenience of being able to go to any venue (not just the suite lounge) to grab a bottle of water, specialty coffee, etc.  I think I drink enough water alone to cover the cost of the package so it is a no brainer for me.  I purchase it on sale.  Never at $26/day.  The best deal lately was the Black Friday deal at $17/day.  Right now, Symphony for July is sitting at $20/day.  This is USD that I am quoting. 

The deluxe package is a whole other story.  I will sometimes buy and sometimes not.  The first factor I go through is are my kids with us?  If yes, then the deluxe is likely a no as we spend a lot of time with our kids while cruising so, I would less likely be sitting around drinking something. 

The next factor is how long is the cruise?  For example, for the Anthem GC, I am almost certain that I will be #teamnoDX because for 9 nights, that is pretty pricey.  And my kids are with us so double whammy, likely no.

The next factor I consider when debating between Deluxe and Refreshment is what is the difference in cost between the two packages?  For example,  our July Symphony sailing (anniversary just hubby and I) coming up, the price for Deluxe has dropped to $49/day and Refreshment is $20/day.  The total difference between the two packages is $239.54.  That is equivalent to about 2 drinks per day (+$25 left over).  I can easily go through two drinks in one day on a cruise like that so I will be calling Royal right after this post to purchase.

Those are usually the scenarios I run through to make a decision.

6 hours ago, marti314 said:

I agree.  We've done the Deluxe in the past and if fact our last cruise on the Jewel managed to snag it at $38/day which I haven't seen in a while.  On that cruise I did keep track and we easily drank more than we paid but we for sure drank way more than we would have if we hadn't purchased it.  The other thing I really noticed was that I eat substantially less with a drink package, it just seems like I'm always full from drink calories.  Obviously another win for the cruise line that you paid extra for... haha.  

Now with that said, walking up to any bar and ordering any random drink to try has me wanting purchase a drink package again.  Marketing at its finest!

6 hours ago, marti314 said:

I have to disagree.  We stopped cruising years ago because my husband's bar bill was crazy.  Yes he is a big drinker.  We are on vacation and do not want to limit ourselves.  We switched to all inclusive resorts for 15 years and are now back enjoying the package.  Our adult daughter gets the refreshment package.  She gets her $20 worth plus;  2 special coffees $5 x 2,  2 bottles of water $3 x 2, 2 mocktails $8 x 2 and she is over the $20. 

Even at $50 a day me, the light drinker, gets my money's worth without trying;  alcoholic drinks 3 x $9, water $3 x 2, special coffees 2 x $5, and 1 glass of wine with dinner $9. 

Figure out what what you drink at home in one day, extra you drink on vacation and calculate your need of the package.

On 4/5/2019 at 2:18 PM, tiny260 said:

One thing I don't remember seeing anyone mention though is the convenience, I just bought the package for my Wife for the 9 night group cruise, I did it because I didn't want her to have to worry if she wanted a drink, she could just go get it and not think about it.

That's exactly one of the things I will mention.  For me, I don't drink on a regular basis in "real life".  I might have a "special" drink for our anniversary somewhere...but when I'm on a cruise I do enjoy the pretty, fruity, tropical drinks...I do appreciate the convenience, NOT necessarily the COST SAVINGS, of having everything paid for ahead of time.

33 minutes ago, videjuca said:

Hello,

Does anybody know if bottled juices are incluided on Refreshment package? 

I know fresh-squeezed orange juice is included, but what about any other bottled juice?

Jhonny Rockets's milkshakes are included too?

Thanks!

I don't think the bottled juices are included. Just like canned sodas are not included but fountain sodas are. And Johnny Rocket's milkshake is definitely not included in the refreshment package.

On 4/5/2019 at 4:57 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Here's my two cents on all of this:

I always buy the refreshment package (except for star class).  Does not matter if I am sailing in a suite or not.  For me, I like the convenience of being able to go to any venue (not just the suite lounge) to grab a bottle of water, specialty coffee, etc.  I think I drink enough water alone to cover the cost of the package so it is a no brainer for me.  I purchase it on sale.  Never at $26/day.  The best deal lately was the Black Friday deal at $17/day.  Right now, Symphony for July is sitting at $20/day.  This is USD that I am quoting. 

The deluxe package is a whole other story.  I will sometimes buy and sometimes not.  The first factor I go through is are my kids with us?  If yes, then the deluxe is likely a no as we spend a lot of time with our kids while cruising so, I would less likely be sitting around drinking something. 

The next factor is how long is the cruise?  For example, for the Anthem GC, I am almost certain that I will be #teamnoDX because for 9 nights, that is pretty pricey.  And my kids are with us so double whammy, likely no.

The next factor I consider when debating between Deluxe and Refreshment is what is the difference in cost between the two packages?  For example,  our July Symphony sailing (anniversary just hubby and I) coming up, the price for Deluxe has dropped to $49/day and Refreshment is $20/day.  The total difference between the two packages is $239.54.  That is equivalent to about 2 drinks per day (+$25 left over).  I can easily go through two drinks in one day on a cruise like that so I will be calling Royal right after this post to purchase.

Those are usually the scenarios I run through to make a decision.

I'm glad I saw this post. I purchased the DX package for my July sailing on Symphony for $52 a day and now it's $49. For 2 that is a savings altogether of $45.56. Not huge but if I found it on the street I'd pick it up, lol.

To get it I just cancel the purchased ones then buy the new ones? If so, use the cancel option in my purchase section of the cruise planner?

5 minutes ago, cobra614 said:

To get it I just cancel the purchased ones then buy the new ones? If so, use the cancel option in my purchase section of the cruise planner?

Yes.  Cancel the old one first, ten rebook the "savings" pkg.  I did it the other way once and got SOOO confused about which one to <then> go back and cancel.  Even after I thought I had done it right, I guess I didn't b/c when I got on board, the head waiter in Chops told me that I had paid for 2 pkgs so he cancelled one of them for me on the ship.  This was for a dining pkg, not a drinks pkg but the story is still the same.

• 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 3:11 PM, 12thman said:

Could you let me know please? If I can cancel both refreshment packages then it would be a big savings for us.

@12thman As promised earlier, I'm here to recap our experience with Allure with regards to the refreshment package and whether you need it or not. First of all, we had a BLAST on Allure. She's gorgeous and we didn't feel any impact with the compromised azipod. Now with the drinks. As you know, I didn't buy the package and wanted to use this trip to gauge whether we'll need it for Symphony next year. Our verdict: NO. Definitely no drink package necessary for us. But everyone's different. I consistently bought some sort of a drink at least once a day. Ie: soda, mocktails, etc. and our bill on drinks was around $100 something for 2 adults and that included a few alcoholic drinks in there too. Non-alcoholic cocktails were $8.36 (after gratuities), and a cola was around $3.50. Their cocktails were quite sweet and heavy so I couldn't drink more than one a day if I still wanted room for all the yummy food on board. And never once had I felt stressed about the bill because I knew very early on that it'd come out WAY lower than if we'd bought the refreshment packages. Hope this helps with your decision on your upcoming cruise.

7 hours ago, SLJ said:

@12thman As promised earlier, I'm here to recap our experience with Allure with regards to the refreshment package and whether you need it or not. First of all, we had a BLAST on Allure. She's gorgeous and we didn't feel any impact with the compromised azipod. Now with the drinks. As you know, I didn't buy the package and wanted to use this trip to gauge whether we'll need it for Symphony next year. Our verdict: NO. Definitely no drink package necessary for us. But everyone's different. I consistently bought some sort of a drink at least once a day. Ie: soda, mocktails, etc. and our bill on drinks was around $100 something for 2 adults and that included a few alcoholic drinks in there too. Non-alcoholic cocktails were $8.36 (after gratuities), and a cola was around $3.50. Their cocktails were quite sweet and heavy so I couldn't drink more than one a day if I still wanted room for all the yummy food on board. And never once had I felt stressed about the bill because I knew very early on that it'd come out WAY lower than if we'd bought the refreshment packages. Hope this helps with your decision on your upcoming cruise.

This actually lines up really nicely with what another person here noted on another thread -- the Refreshment Package is almost worse to get than the Deluxe, in terms of being able to break even. With Deluxe, as long as you get 3 alcoholic drinks each day that hit the max per beverage, you just need to get a few non-alcoholic drinks to break even.

I'm not entirely sure that's as true if you get a really good sale price for Refreshment -- I'm talking $18, which is the lowest I've seen since I snagged it for a never-again-seen $17/night on the last Black Friday sale. At that price, as long as you're into the specialty coffees and fresh-squeezed OJ in the morning, you can figure you're already $15 in with one OJ and two grande espresso drinks a day. Just a bottle of water or a Coke with that and you're even. But at the more usual $26, that's a smidge harder to reach.

7 hours ago, SLJ said:

Thank you for the information. It's good to know that one doesn't have to have a drink package. 

I wanted the DBP as it dropped in price. However it would be over 800 usd ( within over 1000 for us in CAD) .

And as much as I can talk myself into thinking I could drink that much considering the price per drink....thinking of it as 1000 for drinks for the week is insane! We plan on not holding back, if we want a drink just order it and go from there. That being said my husband is not a big drinker and as another member mentioned we have our young daughter with us so it's not like we can just sit back and drink all day. 

Also with our dining package we get a 40% rebate on wine so it will help. And I think I'll be bringing 2 bottles on board.

My wife and I purchased the DBP on our cruise in August for a couple of reasons...

I didnt want to have to worry about a bill at the end of our cruise and if you price out an all inclusive resort its still cheaper to take the cruise and pay for the beverage package.   We are going to use this opportunity to try lots of new drinks that we otherwise wouldnt have.   

15 years and this is the first time we have went anywhere without kids....mama and I are gonna have some fun! 

2 minutes ago, George said:

I'll be sailing on Ovation in a couple of weeks, and I've purchased the refreshment package.  If I decide I want an alcoholic frozen drink, would I pay full price, or the difference in price?

If you buy the regular alcoholic drink, like a Lava Flow or Daiquiri, you will pay the full price.

You have the option to request the virgin drink, which will be covered by the Refreshment Package, and a shot of whatever the normal alcohol is (e.g., Rum for both of the above) on the side. Then you would just be charged for the shot, which you are free to pour into your mocktail and mix up with the paper straw as best you're able. That said, others here have recommended just paying full price for the regular beverage so it's properly mixed and prepped.