Epidiolex

Ivan

11 hours ago, Ivan said:

Epidiolex. Has anybody Cruise with this medicine?

Oliver, what you mean is not prescribed?  It is FDA and DEA approved since last year. and has been prescribed by Neurologist since then. I know because my son is under this treatment. and has been  approved by his Medicaid.  

Neither of us take this so I can't answer your question directly.  My wife has several health issues which requires a pretty big group of daily medications.  She just packs them in a daily pill bottle and puts them in her carry on luggage.  I do maintain a single sheet list of all of her prescriptions with a copy of the actual prescription in a folder with all of our cruise/travel info.  We've never been asked to see it or asked to open our carry on by the cruise line or airlines.

My concern would be at emigration returning from the cruise.  Again we've never been asked but since you mention CBD I'm not sure how that would be treated.  There seems to be a lot of conflicting information as State laws are not necessarily matching up to Federal laws.  I not sure if there would be website you could consult or not.  I would at least visit with my pharmacy and explain that I was traveling out of the country.  They might have a resource to check for you.

We're pretty excited about some of the new treatments being discussed as they might be of help to her in the future.  Right now however we"re going to sit on the sidelines until the Federal laws are updated.

14 hours ago, Ivan said:

Epidiolex. Has anybody Cruise with this medicine?

Never cruised with it, and it has been FDA approved for less than a year, so there probably aren't too many people who could answer that question for you.  However, I am a licensed pharmacist, and my recommendation to you would be to make sure it has the most current prescription label on it.(ie, not a bottle from several months ago),-- definitely do not bring it unlabeled or transferred into another container, and, if you want to be paranoid about it, a letter from your physician stating that your child uses it for the treatment of epilepsy, but that's only if you really want to cover all your bases.  When we were on a 12 night, I brought a 2 week supply of my meds in medication holders, but my daughters meds (she has epilepsy) -- 1 week in a medication holder, & 2 weeks supply (extra 1 week just in case!) in their original bottles, especially because 3 of the meds we were bringing (1 for every day & 2 for "as needed" use) were controlled substances.  Epidiolex is a schedule 5, which is the "lowest" schedule (illegal drugs such as heroin AND marijuana  are schedule 1), so I would definitely make sure it is labeled properly.

1 hour ago, Razerbkfan said:

Neither of us take this so I can't answer your question directly.  My wife has several health issues which requires a pretty big group of daily medications.  She just packs them in a daily pill bottle and puts them in her carry on luggage.  I do maintain a single sheet list of all of her prescriptions with a copy of the actual prescription in a folder with all of our cruise/travel info.  We've never been asked to see it or asked to open our carry on by the cruise line or airlines.

My concern would be at emigration returning from the cruise.  Again we've never been asked but since you mention CBD I'm not sure how that would be treated.  There seems to be a lot of conflicting information as State laws are not necessarily matching up to Federal laws.  I not sure if there would be website you could consult or not.  I would at least visit with my pharmacy and explain that I was traveling out of the country.  They might have a resource to check for you.

We're pretty excited about some of the new treatments being discussed as they might be of help to her in the future.  Right now however we"re going to sit on the sidelines until the Federal laws are updated.

Check the link i posted, Epidiolex does not conflict with federal law anymore. Has been approved by FDA and DEA. And is a prescription medicine like any other. Walgreens is delivering my son's recipe every month and has been paid by his Medicaid.

42 minutes ago, MaryCS62 said:

Never cruised with it, and it has been FDA approved for less than a year, so there probably aren't too many people who could answer that question for you.  However, I am a licensed pharmacist, and my recommendation to you would be to make sure it has the most current prescription label on it.(ie, not a bottle from several months ago),-- definitely do not bring it unlabeled or transferred into another container, and, if you want to be paranoid about it, a letter from your physician stating that your child uses it for the treatment of epilepsy, but that's only if you really want to cover all your bases.  When we were on a 12 night, I brought a 2 week supply of my meds in medication holders, but my daughters meds (she has epilepsy) -- 1 week in a medication holder, & 2 weeks supply (extra 1 week just in case!) in their original bottles, especially because 3 of the meds we were bringing (1 for every day & 2 for "as needed" use) were controlled substances.  Epidiolex is a schedule 5, which is the "lowest" schedule (illegal drugs such as heroin AND marijuana  are schedule 1), so I would definitely make sure it is labeled properly.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your info. And will definitely follow your advise. 

51 minutes ago, MaryCS62 said:

Awesome response, this is what I love about this blog.

1 hour ago, MaryCS62 said:

To piggyback off this, I would definitely NOT take it off the ship.  While it is legal in the US, it may not be legal in the ports where you are visiting.

9 hours ago, Ivan said:

https://www.dea.gov/press-releases/2018/09/27/fda-approved-drug-epidiolex-placed-schedule-v-controlled-substance-act

Click on the link before saying anything about the legality of this Medicine.

I am asking if anybody has traveled before with this Medicine.

I never said it wasn’t legal. I said it’s FDA approved for epilepsy. 

I said it’s not prescribed much. I didn’t say it wasn’t prescribed. I also am a licensed pharmacist and I meant that many doctors don’t want to fool with this drug because it’s a controlled substance. I would be very careful before taking this drug on a cruise ship