Alaska Excursions On Sale, Maybe Others

twangster

• 2 weeks later...

Would you recommend this excursion for teens and a 9 year old? We are looking for something to tack on after morning whale watching (9-1). Too much for one day? There would be a break in the middle for lunch. Thanks for your help. Btw, I read your Radiance blog from last year and it was awesome! We are on the northbound version of the itinerary this June. Your blog was sooooo helpful!!!

20 minutes ago, Minicruiser said:

Would you recommend this excursion for teens and a 9 year old? We are looking for something to tack on after morning whale watching (9-1). Too much for one day? There would be a break in the middle for lunch. Thanks for your help. Btw, I read your Radiance blog from last year and it was awesome! We are on the northbound version of the itinerary this June. Your blog was sooooo helpful!!!

I've taken teens on helicopter rides before in different tourist destinations.  Mine loved it.  

What I like about the helicopter visit and walk on the glacier is the totally different perspective you get.  When you look at a glacier from a distance you see the black streaks that run down them.  When you walk on a glacier up close you see the boulders and large pieces of rock that are those black streaks.  You can imagine the massive forces at work as a glacier slides down a valley breaking those large chunks of rock off.  You see the surface and streams of water flowing across the surface.  We even got to sample the glacier water runoff.  

Years later I still remember that today when I see a glacier from a distance.  With each glacier we sailed past or saw way off in the distance it meant more to me having walked on a glacier and seeing it up close.

Mendenhall Glacier when viewed from the visitors center is impressive but walking on it is something else all together.   I paid $350 per person in 2017.  Last year the best price I saw was $339.  

My turn at this excursion was documented in this live blog post:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5211-alaska-recap-celebrity-millennium-june-2017/&do=findComment&comment=51839

• 2 months later...
42 minutes ago, mworkman said:

We're looking at these excursions for our Alaska trip.  See any that you don't recommend?

Those all look awesome. 

Not sure you need to do whale watching in both Juneau and ISP.  I'd try to find a whale watching excursion that uses a smaller boat rather than a large boat with hundred or more passengers.  The smaller boats can get in close and react faster while large whale watching boats keep further back.  

14 minutes ago, mworkman said:

@twangster We picked the Mendenhall Glacier, Whale Watching and Wildlife Quest in hopes that it can get closer to the Glacier, since the wife doesn't want to do the canoe or kayaking trips.  Not much in the cp right now...maybe more will open up as we get closer.  333 days out.

The whale watching and Mendenhall visit will be two separate experiences with a bus ride in between them.  The whale watching boats do not sail near the glacier.  In fact no powered boats visit Mendenhall glacier.   To approach the face of the glacier you must use a canoe or kayak.  The only way to walk on the glacier is by helicopter. 

For the second part of this excursion, the visit to explore Mendenhall Glacier, a bus will drop you off at the Mendenhall Glacier visitors center an a tour guide will lead a guided walk around to see the glacier from paths within the park.

Here is an example of whale watching in Juneau:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/6634-explorer-alaska-62218-7-nights-rclblog-group-cruise/&do=findComment&comment=73463

While I was on a smaller boat on this trip there are pictures of the larger boats.

After whale watching we boarded a bus and drove to Mendenhall Glacier for the second half of the excursion.  In my case it was a nature hike visit to Mendenhall:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/6634-explorer-alaska-62218-7-nights-rclblog-group-cruise/&do=findComment&comment=73499