Royal Caribbean Blog Facebook GROUP

lildawgscottFL

Hey Matt! I was just listening to episode 102, and it made me wonder when we're gonna make a Royal Caribbean Blog Facebook GROUP, not just a page?

If you've got too much going on already, that's understandable. Just remember, you have a lot of tech savvy friends out here who would be happy to help you.

Thank you for the feedback, Scott!

Facebook prefers we have a page, instead of a group so I maintain the page.

Obviously, the main problem with a page versus a group is it becomes more difficult to conduct discussions outside of any posts that are made.

Granted, these message boards (I hope) serve that purpose.

I know it's old school but I prefer the message boards.  Facebook has such a "churn rate" that conversations get lost after a day or two, plus, everything there seems disposable.   Leave a post here, and you get informative threads that can last for months.  It's a worthwhile archive of knowledge.

I know it's old school but I prefer the message boards.  Facebook has such a "churn rate" that conversations get lost after a day or two, plus, everything there seems disposable.   Leave a post here, and you get informative threads that can last for months.  It's a worthwhile archive of knowledge.

I tend to agree.  While message boards are an old school means of social media, the ability to find old conversations is really helpful. 

But to Scott's point, it's more likely to get more folks in a Facebook group versus message boards because most people are already on FB.

I tend to agree.  While message boards are an old school means of social media, the ability to find old conversations is really helpful. 

But to Scott's point, it's more likely to get more folks in a Facebook group versus message boards because most people are already on FB.

I hadn't thought about that, bcarney, and you're right. Message boards are more organized (except for CC - I hate CC's boards - just plain ugly! - but I still like their main website). Conversations do get lost more easily on Facebook (though they are very searchable). I stand corrected! But I still think Facebook is where the future (and present) is, and we could blow up Matt's numbers on Facebook (he should be at the same 30,000+ that some other groups are at). He deserves it because he earns it. His brand is better than a lot of what I see out there, which is why, once I found him and his world, I dove in head first. I pretty much ignore everything I used to do. Maybe there's a way to do both the boards and a Facebook group? "The Unofficial Royal Caribbean Blog Facebook Group" (which would still have Matt in it, so it would still be official, but calling it "unofficial" makes it sound rebellious and people love to stick it to the man! Sorry Matt, in this case, you're "the man," but we still love you!)

• 3 weeks later...

There's an RCI group already that was started in Australia but is now expanding - called Royal Caribbean Fans Past, Present and Future. It's at - https://www.facebook.com/groups/788818574479629/ - I find it very good and the people are really nice. They have 5,800 or so members and are a mine of useful information. I don't have any affiliation with it myself though so just mentioning it if people might be interested in joining - though of course you might know about it already??

• 2 weeks later...

We use FB extensively. We have both pages and groups. Pages for stories and information and groups for discussion. The discussion side gets lost on pages so we have both. One of our pages has over 26,000 likes but it's hard to actually get the involvement there with our people hence having both run in unison. Forums are old school and unfortunately going the way of the dodo. Matt there is no reason you can't have both despite what FB likes they aren't going to shut it down.