Celebrity is raising auto gratuity

KathyC

Litte here...litte there...hoping ppl don't notice..

Wont be long till drinks packages are $100day with the charges....its crazy......

I cant wait for a recession...and see these companies have to lower prices back down to a reasonable price...

I would say since I started cruising auto grats and drink packages s have almost doubled in price....nothing else in my life has come even close to that kinda increase.

Is this just the beverage package gratuity?

When I think auto gratuity I think of the daily service charges for cabin attendants and such.  Is that changing too?

When I sail Celebrity I look for package deals that include the beverage package.  I’m curious how many on Celebrity actually buy the beverage packages.   

20 minutes ago, twangster said:

I’m curious how many on Celebrity actually buy the beverage packages.

Before today, the answer would be "Everyone on a TA / TP / repositioning cruise who thinks it's worth it", as those sailing were not offering perks with cabin booking. But that changed today (see my next post, coming shortly).

I cringe at the topic of AUTO GRATUITY.  If you look at what a TIP has always been for its to reward good service after service has been rendered.  If you are getting paid a Gratuity or Tip no matter the service you provide then the 20% just becomes part of the price of the Drink/meal.  

You provide me great service ill make sure you are rewarded.  The expectation of tips is out of control.

28 minutes ago, marti314 said:

The expectation of tips is out of control.

I think a more accurate way of viewing it is that RCI is keeping staff salaries lower than they should be, and using "automatic gratuity" as a means to bring them more inline at our expense, rather than out of their own profits. Having seen how hard they work, I don't begrudge the staff getting that money from me, and I've basically resigned myself to it being another "tax" on my cruise fare. But I do take some offense that Royal can't just pay them a proper wage and then let the passengers decide on tips individually like they do in any other service industry situation, instead of foisting the gap in their base wage onto you, me, and everyone else on board.

SOoooooooo true, and it has been reported that RCI takes an ADMINISTRATIVE % from the automatic gratuities for the distribution to the employees.

So if you were to pay 10.00 in automatic gratuities and only 9.50 went to actual employees this would frustrate me for sure.  When i asked this question to Guest Services i got a vague non specific response.

On 4/4/2019 at 8:56 AM, twangster said:

Is this just the beverage package gratuity?

When I think auto gratuity I think of the daily service charges for cabin attendants and such.  Is that changing too?

When I sail Celebrity I look for package deals that include the beverage package.  I’m curious how many on Celebrity actually buy the beverage packages.   

So far I can only find it on the beverage package.  We need someone on board to confirm what the per drink gratuity is. 

We're on a repo, so no beverage package.  They did offer a special once, that you could get a couple perks, but it would change me to a non-refundable from my current refundable, at a much higher price, and only included the lowest beverage package.  The price difference wasn't worth it to us, plus we wanted the refundable option.  My aquaclass price is so ridiculously low I couldn't switch out.