any chance Royal rep. made an error?

I just had a phone call with Royal rep. via 866-562-7625 to reprice my booking for Harmony in September.  I booked directly on Royal homepage several months ago when there was KSF promotion going on.

As you know another KSF sale started on April 1st I did a mock booking and found out I could bring down about $100..so I called and asked him to give me new price that I was looking on the computer monitor.  

After couple of minute, rep. told me savings would be $600 not $100.  I didn't believe it so I asked very detailed question TWICE.  He confirmed there would be $600 savings since he is combining all 3 promotions together.  I was still skeptical but once I received an updated email with new invoice it was indeed $600 less than my original price.

.....and I still can't believe it!.   any chance he made an error??  it is too good to be true.

Is it possible you had prepaid gratuities on the first reservation and they didn't add it to the new one?  I have also noticed when I reprice the taxes and fees have gone up but they continue to charge them from the original booking so it is slightly lower than what I find doing a mock booking!  These are the only two reasons I can think of and I doubt it would account for $600 so congrats!

4 minutes ago, Trevor said:

Is it possible you had prepaid gratuities on the first reservation and they didn't add it to the new one?  I have also noticed when I reprice the taxes and fees have gone up but they continue to charge them from the original booking so it is slightly lower than what I find doing a mock booking!  These are the only two reasons I can think of and I doubt it would account for $600 so congrats!

Excellent point.  I always have to tell them to add in the grats b/c they never do.  I HATE paying grats onboard.

so I called Royal again to triple check and I probably missed the part where rep. telling me that my deposit is now non-refundable.  ?

?

oh well.. now I have no choice but to make this trip at all cost!!  unless, of course, crane fall on the ship 5 days prior to my departure date.

non-refundable deposit sounds bad but price is just tooooooo good I am glad I made a change.

21 minutes ago, mook1525 said:

I probably missed the part where rep. telling me that my deposit is now non-refundable

As soon as I read the first post, I guessed this is what happened. Glad to hear you're okay with the situation.

JMPO, make sure you get travel insurance.  We don't travel without it.  G forbid something happens prior to the sailing where you can't go, a good insurance plan will cover your costs.  Same as if something happens while on the cruise.  You have saved a lot of $$$, but now as you say you have to make this trip at all costs.

43 minutes ago, JennyB said:

dumb question here...HOW do i go about checking to see if my cruise has changed prices?  do I just go in like I'm searching for a brand new cruise with all the same options and compare?

Yes, if you booked it online through Royal directly, price it online as if you were booking the same class cabin, etc., on that same sailing.

If it appears to be cheaper online, I would call RC customer service to confirm the savings and let them make the adjustment.

It has taken literally less than 10 minutes every time I have called them for an adjustment and they are very friendly and helpful in my experience. They will immediately e-mail you the updated cruise invoice/receipt confirming the new rate. As a side note, I always book with a refundable deposit... not sure if that has any impact on the handling of fare adjustments.

If you booked through a travel agent, I would call them...

Just now, JohnK6404 said:

Yes, if you booked it online through Royal directly, price it online as if you were booking the same class cabin, etc., on that same sailing.

If it appears to be cheaper online, I would call RC customer service to confirm the savings and let them make the adjustment.

It has taken literally less than 10 minutes every time I have called them for an adjustment and they are very friendly and helpful in my experience. They will immediately mail you the updated cruise invoice/receipt confirming the new rate.

If you booked through a travel agent, I would call them...

We actually booked at the Next Cruise office on the Indy OTS in December...

18 minutes ago, JennyB said:

I would price it online quickly and call RC and confirm if you notice a potential savings. I'm sure someone with Next Cruise experience will be able to confirm shortly.

I may be wrong (I only booked onboard through Next Cruise once, but unfortunately had to cancel that cruise later), but I'm guessing RC customer service would handle as if you booked it online unless you transferred it to a travel agent afterward.

This was back in 2015... it comes up as "Vacation Planner USA", not sure if I'm reading it correctly, but I never got the impression that I would be dealing with anyone other than RC when I booked...

image.png.653f06ebc03a8ccf85e4cccbf0cb8683.png

44 minutes ago, JennyB said:

What might be different from what you got on Next Cruise would probably be the reduced deposit amount and I believe the OBC might be different.

I believe all prices quoted on the website are the non refundable price. It is only when you go to complete the booking that you have the option to change to refundable which on one of the cruises we are looking at was about $560 NZD extra.

I assume the US website is the same as the one for Australia/New Zealand.

14 minutes ago, mook1525 said:

my question is is there a way for us to check non-refundable price in the first place?   

Yes, but you have to choose the cabin, and then put guest names/dob/ph #s in - then it takes you to the page where you choose your dining option, if you want to prepay gratuities, then gives you the option of the refundable fare (an increase of over $900 on my last booking). I just use fake names and just don't hit "submit". It's a pain.  Probably easier checking with the TA, but I get bored at night so I check it frequently. I'm not going to bug her unless I know I have something to bug her about.

On re-pricing:  We booked the panoramic suite on the adventure next November; there are only two and both are taken, but I noticed that the other suite’s had dropped 6-16% (16% was a JR Suite). So I called the agency to check on re-pricing and the rep said that when she checked the RCL system. Of course she  pointed out that it was sold out, but then I pulled out my mighty @Lovetocruise2002 sword and told her that it is my understanding that RCL would continue to show a pricing for a sold out cabin types and the rest of the category had dropped. She then paused a while, typing, and came back and said that she had looked at what the price would be if we booked it on “Standby” and that despite, the other prices dropping, our specific suite had almost doubled from what we paid. Clearly that made no sense! I asked her to call them anyway and she said they told her exactly the same thing. Not much I can do, but it all seemed odd to me.

Now I just have to hope that there is a drop around  one of the next 3 holidays!

It is possible...as the prices on Royals home page are the highest out there....so possibly it could drop from that.

Hard to believe, as I don't ever recall that happening to any cruises I have booked or been watching since I started cruising. That's why I always book with a 3rd party site....way cheaper.

Good luck.....!

7 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@2Beeze that situation has also happened to me too. It can go both ways.

I thought the chance of ours almost doubling when all others dropped was low, but I will keep my eyes opened across the summer. I have tried to use cruise fish to alert me of price drops, but I have not as yet figured out how they are calculating a fare for 1 person (e.g., one person base fare or the net fare after the funky RCL accounting like 2nd passenger 30-50% off). We also have a 3rd person added in complicating matters further.