Cruising with friends ... breaking up expenses

I have a cruise booked with 2 friends (sharing a stateroom) and I'm wondering how billing will work.  For instance, if I prepay my gratuities, and one or both of them choose to not prepay, will their individual credit cards be charged at the end of the cruise? Are individual credit cards tied to their respective human's sea pass card? Room service, etc?

Not 100% sure but I think prepaying gratuities is an all or none thing. I don't think it can be done on an individual basis.

Gratuities that aren't prepaid get charged to each individual's SeaPass account onboard. 

Setup on how the account is paid can be done on individual basis. One person could have a cash account while another is setup on say a Visa card and the third on a Mastercard. Not saying it has to be different branded cards, they could all be the same type.

Room service charges, I'm going to say it would default to the first person on the room/invoice. But I'm sure if calling an order in the charge could be directed towards another account.

I have cruised with friends and family before in the same stateroom and when I completed online checkin for myself and my friends and family, I linked a credit card to mine and one family members seapass card, and had selected cash for the other people on the reservation and when we went to the checkin counter at the cruise port to have our pictures take and  to receive individual seapass cards, then my friends and other family members who did not have the same credit card linked to there seapass could have there own debit/credit card linked to their own seapass card.

on the last night of the the cruise you will receive the bill for each of the payment methods that is on file for each person in the stateroom (expect if more then one person has the same debit/credit card to their seapass card).

If one person wants to pay with cash then they should head to guest services with their bill and pay their bill with cash.

If all the people in the stateroom have a credit/debit card linked to their seapass account then the amount that your charges to your seapass would be billed to the card that you put on file when you checked in and the amount on your bill will be charged to your credit/debit card.

3 minutes ago, Bakerette said:

I have cruised with friends and family before in the same stateroom and when I completed online checkin for myself and my friends and family, I linked a credit card to mine and one family members seapass card, and had selected cash for the other people on the reservation and when we went to the checkin counter at the cruise port to have our pictures take and  to recieve individual seapass cards, then my friends and other family members who did not have the same credit card linked to there seapass could have there own debit/credit card linked to their own seapass card.

Well, I'm hoping to be able to have all of this taken care of from home and not have to see a check in counter like I had on Mariner (we'll be on Navigator). We will all have credit cards.  I'll just have to talk them all into paying their gratuities ahead of time - I'm not putting up with doing it at the end. That's wholesale unacceptable.

6 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Well, I'm hoping to be able to have all of this taken care of from home and not have to see a check in counter like I had on Mariner (we'll be on Navigator). We will all have credit cards.  I'll just have to talk them all into paying their gratuities ahead of time - I'm not putting up with doing it at the end. That's wholesale unacceptable.

Every person in the stateroom can have a separate payment method, including different credit cards, linked at the time of online check in. This can also be changed for any given passenger up to the last day of online check in availability. Just last week I did the check in with three different cards for our suite.

6 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

@SpeedNoodles - sounds like you need better friends  :10_wink:

6 minutes ago, Tim B. said:

@SpeedNoodles - sounds like you need better friends  :10_wink:

Seriously, I'm lucky I have the two that I have.

They are great, I just don't like to owe much at the end of my cruises, so that's what I meant about not putting up with it.  Get it all paid and out of the way ahead of time. They are both new cruisers so they're pretty malleable still.

1 minute ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Seriously, I'm lucky I have the two that I have.

They are great, I just don't like to owe much at the end of my cruises, so that's what I meant about not putting up with it.  Get it all paid and out of the way ahead of time. They are both new cruisers so they're pretty malleable still.

So manipulation for the cruise newbies - gotcha, just get their credit card numbers from them, make sure you get the tricky three digit security code, and go to the next cruise desk while on ship, and book ya a new cruise. Just kidding!!! We all need friends :2_grimacing:

It definitely has the potential to be uncomfortable, but also great fun!  We cruise with a friend  (actually a half sister of my half sister who I met 4 years ago) and hubby and I share a CC and she puts down her own. But there are a few things that are hard to split 3 ways (as you mention, a room service surcharge; excursion deposits are another). For us, the key is for everyone to be honest (moochers aren’t allowed ?) and to keep up with those bundled charges so after the cruise someone sends a check to the person designated to pay. It’s easy for us since it’s really just two entities, I think possible one designated payer would make keeping up simpler. To ward off hard feelings, I find it essential to be up front about methods and expectations before hand. BUT, unexpected  problems can show up though -   before our Alaska cruise last year she found out that her debit card had been hacked and they were sending her a new one, the problem was that she was leaving early the next morning for Vancouver. She was actually able to get a duplicate in Skagway, but we did front her a great deal of money on that trip (which she paid in full).

One area of sharing with friends where there is a real potential for trouble is if one is not able to go.  The way the cruise lines are chopping up the fares, insurance is not going to cover everyone equally even though you all are splitting it equally. We ran into that problem at the first of the year; it worked out, she was able to go, but there was no way to insure her for the actual amount of her 3 way split. That could get dicey. Not trying to be a downer, but we almost learned the hard way how likely that can be. 

Have fun!

6 hours ago, 2Beeze said:

It definitely has the potential to be uncomfortable, but also great fun!  We cruise with a friend  (actually a half sister of my half sister who I met 4 years ago) and hubby and I share a CC and she puts down her own. But there are a few things that are hard to split 3 ways (as you mention, a room service surcharge; excursion deposits are another). For us, the key is for everyone to be honest (moochers aren’t allowed ?) and to keep up with those bundled charges so after the cruise someone sends a check to the person designated to pay. It’s easy for us since it’s really just two entities, I think possible one designated payer would make keeping up simpler. To ward off hard feelings, I find it essential to be up front about methods and expectations before hand. BUT, unexpected  problems can show up though -   before our Alaska cruise last year she found out that her debit card had been hacked and they were sending her a new one, the problem was that she was leaving early the next morning for Vancouver. She was actually able to get a duplicate in Skagway, but we did front her a great deal of money on that trip (which she paid in full).

One area of sharing with friends where there is a real potential for trouble is if one is not able to go.  The way the cruise lines are chopping up the fares, insurance is not going to cover everyone equally even though you all are splitting it equally. We ran into that problem at the first of the year; it worked out, she was able to go, but there was no way to insure her for the actual amount of her 3 way split. That could get dicey. Not trying to be a downer, but we almost learned the hard way how likely that can be. 

Have fun!

I'm really not worried about any sort of conflict or anyone not paying. It would just be more convenient for everyone to have separate accounts. It's not a very expensive cruise, so if someone has to cancel, the other two can easily absorb the other person's fare.   It's inexpensive enough that I could absorb it myself if I had to.

2 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I'm really not worried about any sort of conflict or anyone not paying. It would just be more convenient for everyone to have separate accounts. It's not a very expensive cruise, so if someone has to cancel, the other two can easily absorb the other person's fare.   It's inexpensive enough that I could absorb it myself if I had to.

Oh good - we were booked for the NCL Haven so absorbing it wasn’t an option ? Most things allow for separation (even excursions if through the cruise line - unless it is a shareable purchase so a cabana). I am sure it will be fabulous ?