Cup given out for Beverage/Soda Package

RBRSKI

5 minutes ago, 12thman said:

Hope so, you can't get more that one soda at a time right? There's a waiting period? If my lost cup got soda a minute before my new cup I'd be out of luck.

I suspect that the time it would take to get to the nearest machine after they disable the old chip and they give you your new cup would be sufficient.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.

14 minutes ago, 12thman said:

Okay, I'm sure I'll leave it somewhere and forget. So if someone picks up my cup because I left it they get free pop for the rest of the cruise? Does the system disable that cup when I get a replacement?

NO ... but it will cost you like $4-$5 for a replacement.

27 minutes ago, 12thman said:

Okay, I'm sure I'll leave it somewhere and forget. So if someone picks up my cup because I left it they get free pop for the rest of the cruise? Does the system disable that cup when I get a replacement?

Despite all the NOs, the answer is technically YES on the person getting free pop. Other than tracking when the chip is first used no personal tracking of the cup is done. If a cup is lost it will still be usable until the system expires the cup. No ship personnel can tie a cup to an individual. If you buy a beverage package when boarding they just randomly give you a cup. They don't scan the cup to record any information.

So the answer for the cup getting disabled is NO.

13 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

Despite all the NOs, the answer is technically YES on the person getting free pop. Other than tracking when the chip is first used no personal tracking of the cup is done. If a cup is lost it will still be usable until the system expires the cup. No ship personnel can tie a cup to an individual. If you buy a beverage package when boarding they just randomly give you a cup. They don't scan the cup to record any information.

So the answer for the cup getting disabled is NO.

I stand corrected.  And although I'd never do it, it leaves a way to for people cheat the system and get a 2nd soda package for the price of a replacement cup.

8 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I stand corrected.  And although I'd never do it, it leaves a way to for people cheat the system and get a 2nd package for the price of a replacement cup.

People will always cheat the system.  

Technically an un-scanned cup from one cruise *could* be used on another cruise.  If it had never touched a Freestyle machine it's in the system as unused but valid.  Bring it on another ship and now it appears to be unused when placed into a Freestyle machine.  There are thousands of these cups used every month.  They don't have the sophistication to track which cartons of hundreds of cups went to which ship during which month.  

In all of the times that we have had a drinks package (which has been 100% of the time over the last year or so), we have never ever - not once - used one of those plastic cups.  We usually just leave them on the counter when we leave.   I never considered that it might be able to be used on a different cruise...although if I didn't use it on one cruise why would I think I would use it on the next cruise ?!  On the second leg of our Anthem B2B there were 4 of those cups in our room !  I guess the people who were in there before us didn't use them either !

I may or may not have given 1 of those plastic cups to one of our new besties that we may or may not have met at the Chef's Table one of our Anthem B2Bs.

18 hours ago, joshvc said:

The chips are tied to a system that keeps track of each cup, so it knows how long you can use it and where. So if you took back to back cruises, or a different cruise, without buying a new package, it would not work on the second trip (unless they were really lazy with the setup, I guess).

The last time we got cups (on a 5 night cruise) they were activated to be valid for 14 days according to the machine. If that is true, back-to-back trips only require a single purchase to get sodas for the full 14 days.

18 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I stand corrected.  And although I'd never do it, it leaves a way to for people cheat the system and get a 2nd soda package for the price of a replacement cup.

I hope it's not a situation like happens at Six Flags. We get season passes there every year, and buy the cup that gets us free refills all summer. They're not cheap, and we've had them stolen 3 different years now. It's gotten to the point where I don't go on the rides anymore so I can stay with the cups while my kids go on the rides. Even then, they still aren't safe, I was sitting on a bench and had it on the ground by my feet and someone somehow managed to steal it. I hope the people on a cruise are a bit more trustworthy, and that we won't have to guard our cups with our lives.

6 minutes ago, 12thman said:

These cups are just for the freestyle machines correct? If I go to a bar and ask for soda they don't need that cup right?

That's correct.  If you have a beverage package that includes soda you can go to any bar and get a plastic cup from a fountain machine.  If you have the deluxe beverage package you can get a can of soda.

11 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

That's correct.  If you have a beverage package that includes soda you can go to any bar and get a plastic cup from a fountain machine.  If you have the deluxe beverage package you can get a can of soda.

I got the refreshment package, I don't drink. They're not going to give me a can of soda? Just a plastic cup? 

17 minutes ago, 12thman said:

I got the refreshment package, I don't drink. They're not going to give me a can of soda? Just a plastic cup? 

You get the package cup to use at the FreeStyle self-serve machines.  Those machines won't dispense anything but water without using the special cups.

At the bars they will pour over ice out of a can, 2-liter or gun..whichever they happen to be using.  You can ask for the can and sometimes they will give it to you.

18 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

You get the package cup to use at the FreeStyle self-serve machines.  Those machines won't dispense anything but water without using the special cups.

At the bars they will pour over ice out of a can, 2-liter or gun..whichever they happen to be using.  You can ask for the can and sometimes they will give it to you.

Thanks! Makes sense now.

@12thman

The thing about the freestyle machine besides it being self serve is if you want diet gingerale lime flavoring they have it there.  Just like you can get coke vanilla or Powerade, Minute Maid, etc.    Beverages you won't be able to get at the bar.  Hence, you will probably walk around with the cup.  If you are fine with just diet coke or coke, than you don't need it.

For clarification....only paying full price or purchasing the deluxe beverage package allows you to get a canned soda.  The soda package and the refreshment package do not include canned soda.  HOWEVER, as Ashley said,  they will serve you whatever they have handy.  If they have a fountain hose, you will get a fountain drink; if they have a can sitting there, they will give you a can if you ask for it.  Before the cans became included in the DBP sometimes I could persuade them to give me a can but sometimes they simply would not give me a can and I would not be a cappy hamper.  Now, with the cans included in the DBP they no longer deny me the can UNLESS they simply do not have any cans, which can some times be the case.

2 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

For clarification....only paying full price or purchasing the deluxe beverage package allows you to get a canned soda.  The soda package and the refreshment package do not include canned soda.  HOWEVER, as Ashley said,  they will serve you whatever they have handy.  If they have a fountain hose, you will get a fountain drink; if they have a can sitting there, they will give you a can if you ask for it.  Before the cans became included in the DBP sometimes I could persuade them to give me a can but sometimes they simply would not give me a can and I would not be a cappy hamper.  Now, with the cans included in the DBP they no longer deny me the can UNLESS they simply do not have any cans, which can some times be the case.

Thanks for the information!! Does this apply to the suite lounge? We're literally a few doors away from the suite lounge on the Allure. 

59 minutes ago, 12thman said:

The machines dispense powerade and juice? Even better!!! Rarely drink soda, would if that's all the machine dispensed. 

Yes.  It is just like any Coke freestyle machine you see in certain restaurants.  IE in VA we have 5 Guys and Qdoba, both have the freestyle machine.  I want to say it has Coke, Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Seagrams Ginger ale, Diet Ginger Ale, Fanta, Sprite, PowerAde, Minute Maid, plus Dasani water.  And of course there are caffeine free options.  You are able to add in flavoring, such as, lime, cherry, raspberry, and vanilla.  I won't swear if I got them all correct.  However, I know since I drink only diet ginger ale, with flavors, they have that.  My husband likes Powerade when we go to the gym, so I know they have that, and I get the Dasani water flavored.  I had said before that I wouldn't use this new designed cup, but now I realize I have to for when we go to the gym in the a.m. 

3 minutes ago, Pima1988 said:

Yes.  It is just like any Coke freestyle machine you see in certain restaurants.  IE in VA we have 5 Guys and Qdoba, both have the freestyle machine.  I want to say it has Coke, Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Seagrams Ginger ale, Diet Ginger Ale, Fanta, Sprite, PowerAde, Minute Maid, plus Dasani water.  And of course there are caffeine free options.  You are able to add in flavoring, such as, lime, cherry, raspberry, and vanilla.  I won't swear if I got them all correct.  However, I know since I drink only diet ginger ale, with flavors, they have that.  My husband likes Powerade when we go to the gym, so I know they have that, and I get the Dasani water flavored.  I had said before that I wouldn't use this new designed cup, but now I realize I have to for when we go to the gym in the a.m. 

Thanks for the information. Don't really drink soda so I don't use those machines. Try to avoid bottle bottled water as well. 

1 hour ago, 12thman said:

Thanks for the information!! Does this apply to the suite lounge? We're literally a few doors away from the suite lounge on the Allure. 

Suite Lounge will hand over cans.

No purchase or beverage package required. Perk of being a suite guest.

See now this makes me want to cancel both beverage packages. If I have no beverage package what do I get to drink at MDR or specialty restaurants? That's why I bought the refreshment package so I can have something to drink in the MDR or specialty restaurants. 

4 minutes ago, 12thman said:

See now this makes me want to cancel both beverage packages. If I have no beverage package what do I get to drink at MDR or specialty restaurants? That's why I bought the refreshment package so I can have something to drink in the MDR or specialty restaurants. 

Without any drink package you can drink water in the MDR or specialty restaurants, or just pay for a soda. 

You could stop by the suite lounge and get a soda then take that with you to dinner.  Refills at dinner would cost.

13 hours ago, 12thman said:

Everyone can get regular coffee, tap water, milk, juices (at breakfast) and iced tea for free in the restaurants.  With the package you can get soda, sparkling water, specialty coffee and in the morning fresh-squeezed OJ.

13 hours ago, 12thman said:

If I don't get a beverage package what else can I get in the suite lounge besides soda? Can I get juice, premium coffee, milk etc?

The suite lounge will have a fancy coffee machine that will do espresso-based drinks that you will have 24 hour access to.  Milk and juice may not be out any time other than breakfast, but if someone is in there you can ask and they would likely get it.

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

Everyone can get regular coffee, tap water, milk, juices (at breakfast) and iced tea for free in the restaurants.  With the package you can get soda, sparkling water, specialty coffee and in the morning fresh-squeezed OJ.

The suite lounge will have a fancy coffee machine that will do espresso-based drinks that you will have 24 hour access to.  Milk and juice may not be out any time other than breakfast, but if someone is in there you can ask and they would likely get it.

Thank you for the information!!